10.5.5 update to 10.5.7 now garbled screen

11 posts in this topic

I updated my iAtkos 5 installation as I read that it could be updated like a real mac. However, I now have a garbled screen and my mac installations not working. I also have quiet boot enabled and no delay so I have no prompt before it loads mac. Can someone please help me?

Thanks for your quick reply. I am able to boot into safe mode using your advice. However when I try and boot normally it doesn't seem to work. The spinning logo with the apple in the background appears and it starts loading but then I get a weird screen as if the graphics kext isn't working. Can anyone offer any advice??

Thanks for your quick reply. I am able to boot into safe mode using your advice. However when I try and boot normally it doesn't seem to work. The spinning logo with the apple in the background appears and it starts loading but then I get a weird screen as if the graphics kext isn't working. Can anyone offer any advice??

Not sure if it's the same but my machine got stuck on the grey startup screen and had the circle with the diagonal line. Changing the motherboard settings for AHCI helped (SATA mode to AHCI / S3(STR))

Good luck.

Kalyway 10.5.2/10.5.7 + iDeneb 10.5.6/10.5.7

GA-P35-DS3L, 3GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400, L2 Cache (per processor) 6MB, 4Gb RAM

What kind of video card do you have and what did you patch or install to make it work before updating?

I second the video card question. I just did a 10.5.6 update and had a similar sounding problem to you (boots in safe mode, but garbled/corrupt screen in normal boot). I think 10.5.7 has an updated Radeon HD4850 driver that isn't 100% compatible. To fix it, I installed a Natit pkg from netkas.org, then plugged in a DVI2VGA adapter into one of my DVI ports.

My laptops a dell 1735 with mobile ati 3650hd. There isn't currently a working kext for this graphics card. I need some way of removing all the graphics card kexts so that it goes to VESA cpu accelerated graphics and does not load any other kexts as i think an incompatible graphics kext is the problem. Does anyone know how to do this and if it sounds right?

• 4 weeks later...
My laptops a dell 1735 with mobile ati 3650hd. There isn't currently a working kext for this graphics card. I need some way of removing all the graphics card kexts so that it goes to VESA cpu accelerated graphics and does not load any other kexts as i think an incompatible graphics kext is the problem. Does anyone know how to do this and if it sounds right?

Ihave the exact same system and ran into the exact same issue with this. Previously I'd installed with iPC 10.5.6 and everything was working fine out of the box with VESA drivers, but now after installing the updated I get the same garbled video in normal mode, but in safe mode it works fine. Anyone come up with a solution for this I'd be grateful as I still know very little about the OSx infrastructure and how to troubleshoot these simple issues.