[GUIDE] Retail (10.5.7) install on Gigabyte P45-UD3LR

JamesDH

20 posts in this topic

After using this forum to assist me in several installs I figure it's time to give back.

While in Microcenter I picked up:

Gigabyte P45-UD3LR Rev 1.0 with BIOS F5

Intel E8600 3.33ghz Core 2 Duo (had it laying around from old build)

8GB Patriot Viper DDR2 800 (from same build)

EVGA nVidia GeForce 9800 GT 512

WD Black 1TB (found for $94 at Directron)

Samsung DVD

Antec 300 case

Cooler Master 500 Watt PS

Saturday I spent the better part of the day trying to get my install working.

After several false starts and reboots I was able to narrow things down to just this.

Basic steps:

1. Download zip file HERE (15.4mb)

2. Burn CD from iso in zip

3. Boot to CD, remove when boot prompt appears

4. Insert retail DVD and select it for booting (fe depending on your system)

5. Update using 10.5.7 Combo update HERE (download this before hand and have it on USB to save time etc..)

6. Do software update

7. Do EFI for graphics and Time Machine fix using UInstaller in zip

8. Install Chameleon 2 RC1, remove all kexts from the /Extra/Extensions folder and replace with the 5 kexts in the Kexts folder in the zip file (not the 2 kexts from the Sound folder).

9. Make the build_mkext.sh script according to this post

Wrote this handy script to recompile the mkext. Just put it in /Extra, name it build_mkext.sh, and chmod it to 755 as root. Also run it as root. You will probably see alot of dependency errors. Ignore them. This script renames the Extensions directory to Extensions1 after building the mkext. When you want to add stuff, just drop it in the Extensions1 directory and rerun the build script. 

#!/bin/sh 

rm /Extra/Extensions.mkext 
mv /Extra/Extensions1 /Extra/Extensions 
chown -R 0:0 /Extra/Extensions 
chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions 
kextcache -a i386 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions 
mv /Extra/Extensions /Extra/Extensions1

10. Run the script (open a terminal window, cd into the /Extra folder and sudo ./build_mkext.sh)

11. Install the two sound kexts from the /sound folder in the zip. Use Kext helper b7

12. Clear extension cache using OSX86Tools in zip.

13. Reboot without the CD and everything should fly except sleep. Leave a DVD in the drive for sleep to work (HUH??)

Hope this helps someone.

James

Edit: Corrected upgrade link

Talked my brother into getting the UD3LR and doing an install.

One thing that bit us was the graphics card.

We were using the XFX 8600 GT 256mb and a Hanns monitor using a DVI to HDMI adapter as the monitor has HDMI input.

We fought with the video for several hours. Turns out the HDMI interface was not letting the driver read the resolution properly and it kept wanting to run at 1920x1050 no matter what we did. Finally we used a DVI to VGA adapter and ran a VGA cable to the monitor.

Worked like a champ after that.

If we hadn't had the video problems it would have been a quick install as after we got that straight it was just follow the guide.

• 2 weeks later...

To anyone doing this install to the MBR instead of GUID with a retail DVD:

See: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=322

Basically you need:

- 1 USB thumb drive

- a retail DVD

- the flat package editor ( You can do this in OS X if you have the XCode Tools installed, or from the DVD if you have the flat package editor on your USB key which can be found here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=308 )

What the link above shows you how to do is basically edit the OSInstall.mpkg from your retail DVD and put it on a USB key so you can start your installation DVD and run the OSInstall.mpkg from your USB key instead of from the DVD. The edits to the Distribution file inside of the OSInstall.mpkg will let you install to MBR.

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have a G5 tower with OSX 10.5.7, I want to upgrade parts to an Intel I know I will need everything new, as I have that planned out already, but is there a way to use the hard drive with OS that is pre-installed? Can I just boot from that zip file you have? and then make the kext changes and what not?

or how would get the system working with that hard drive with osx 10.5.7 already on it?

or can i just make the changes on my hard drive now and when I put the HD in the build, will be already configured?

James I got the same 3lr motherboard, e7400 c2d, 9400gt, 4GB.

I've been following your tutorial, but being new I'm having problems with the script,

I saw your other post were you helped someone showing them pico,

but I get permission denied when I try to use pico. any more light you could give me would greatly help.

Thanks

... Turns out the HDMI interface was not letting the driver read the resolution properly and it kept wanting to run at 1920x1050 no matter what we did. Finally we used a DVI to VGA adapter and ran a VGA cable to the monitor.

If you want the better quality provided by a hdmi-/dvi-connection you might want to check out SwitchresX. It has become a common workaround since the 10.5.7 hdmi-"bug" is most likely to be around for some time to come. The same source codes have already been replicated into the current snow-leo branch...

I filed a short step-by-step walkthrough at apple's official forums: Step-by-Step Guide to SRX

(I hope it stays, since it is not a tutorial but a quick guide through a third party app... @mods - please be gentle! *gg*)

Maybe this will work for you too...

Cheers, cizko

Gigabyte P45-UD3LR

Intel E7400 2.8ghz Core 2 Duo

4GB PNY DDR2 800

EVGA nVidia GeForce 9400 GT 512

WD Black 750GB SATA

NEC IDE DVD Drive

Cooler Master 460 Watt PS

I've been reading alot of these posts over the last few weeks and it seems I remember reading to just use SATA drives.

I ordered a Samsung SATA DVD drive it should be here in a couple of days. Hopefully that will get my Chameleon running. Any thoughts please post

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been trying this method all day, and have not been able to boot to the retail DVD.

When it attempts to boot into the UD3LR boot cd, it briefly flashes the message "System config file /com.apple.boot.S/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist not found" and then drops to the boot menu, where typing "ef" (or anything for that matter) does nothing.

Thinking my IDE DVD drive was the problem, I bought a SATA one, but haven't made any progress. Also, is setting the BIOS setting to AHCI a necessity? My computer acts really strange when I have this on.

Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR F5

Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 GHz

4 GB DDR-800

e-GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

WD 500GB SATA

Samsung SATA DVD-RW

EDIT: OMGIGOTITWORKING!!!!

I played around with the drives and bios settings, and it started working beautifully when I added an IDE HDD (set as Master) and moved the DVD drive to SATA port 4 (0-3 have some weird ide emulation thing), and turned on AHCI. Running the installer now

After updating to 10.5.8 sleep was gone on my GA-EP45T-UD3LR. I could get this issue fixed by following a hint originally posted by user peach-os (thanks!) in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t178603.html

1. Create a DSDT.aml patch with HPET support and copy it to the root directory

(or to /Extra if you are using Chameleon2 - you can use DSDT Patcher GUI to make this easier!)

2. Delete any disabler.kext from /System/Library/Extensions and/or from /Extra/Extensions

3. Rebuild your /Extra/Extensions.mkext file with e.g. mkexttool

4. Reboot your machine

5. Sleep should now work again

Good luck --- cizko

Hey

first of all thanks for this great tutorial , I got mac os x 10.5.8 running on my ep45-ud3lr almost flawlessly.

Howver I did want to change some boot settings like boot resoltion default partition and timeout. I added all of these options in both com.apple.boot.plist (the one in the extra folder of chameleon and the one in /Library/Preferenes/SystemConfiguration) but nothing changed.

also I have a ps2 keyboard which I would lik to use to keep some usb ports available. I tried instaling the ps2 fix from IPC (with pacifist) and I also tried adding the included PS2 kext (which I extracted with pacifist) both with kext helper and adding it to the extensions1 folder by using the provided script but none of that worked.

grtz Pieter

Happy to report that after a couple of days of no sleep and trial and error with different distros, I was able to install kalyway 10.5.2 on my desktop. I love the fact that I would be able to do regular updates without the many problems of a hacked installation would. So I started searching around for a computability to my mobo and finally found it earlier today when I ran across your thread, worked like a charmed even did the install from a image on a external USB drive. I love it, the only problem I ran across so far in the few mins I have used it is that I cannot use the internet, Ethernet shows as connected but it doesnt let me browse but that I'm sure is no biggie compared to not been able to get past the annoying beachball pointer lol...anyway, Thanx for the upload and I will keep you updated as any problems and fixes I find for my system. by the way this is my setup

mobo - gigabyte EP45-UD3LR

processor - E5200 dual core

video card - EVGA geforce 9500gt 1gb

8gb ram(i know for installation you need 4gb max)

500gb + 1tb hitachi drive

NOTE: After a few days playing around with my new hackintosh. I have installed every app I have on my macbook including photoshop and word and iLife suite and so far no problems as to application or system crashes. I still cant connect to the internet, only by using a USB wifi adapter I had laying around but it does the job. System is fully updated directly from "software update" and has broken no manual kext installations. Thanx for the great guide.

• 2 weeks later...

After nearly pulling my hair out with a xfx 680i motherboard I finally gave up and ran down to the local computer store and picked up a GA-EP45-UD3L.

Happy to report this method works perfectly with the GA-EP45-UD3L. Install using above method and update with 10.5.8 Combo Update was a breeze. Used Chameleon RC 2 instead. I highly recommend this board for people looking to build a hackintosh from scratch.

One note... I did have problems with my GeForce 6800 GT and the DVI out. If you have a blank screen after the apple boot logo using DVI do the following. To fix the problem simply use OSX86Tools and add an EFI string using "Custom GeForce" at the bottom of the list. This allows you to select your card outputs. Mine was VGA/DVI-I.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L

Intel Q6600 Quad Core

4GB DDR2 800

EVGA nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 1GB

WD Caviar 120GB SATA

WD Caviar 500GB SATA

Phillips DVD/RW SATA

After nearly pulling my hair out with a xfx 680i motherboard I finally gave up and ran down to the local computer store and picked up a GA-EP45-UD3L.

Happy to report this method works perfectly with the GA-EP45-UD3L. Install using above method and update with 10.5.8 Combo Update was a breeze. Used Chameleon RC 2 instead. I highly recommend this board for people looking to build a hackintosh from scratch.

One note... I did have problems with my GeForce 6800 GT and the DVI out. If you have a blank screen after the apple boot logo using DVI do the following. To fix the problem simply use OSX86Tools and add an EFI string using "Custom GeForce" at the bottom of the list. This allows you to select your card outputs. Mine was VGA/DVI-I.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L

Intel Q6600 Quad Core

4GB DDR2 800

WD Caviar 120GB SATA

WD Caviar 500GB SATA

Phillips DVD/RW SATA

I had to do the same thing for my video card, a custom setup with osx86 tools...

BTW, after finding a ethernet driver from this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34074 my internet works but if I do downloads that would take more then say 15 or 20mins my machine asks to do a force shutdown....dunno if its the driver or the 10.5.8 update, although I doubt its the update because with the usb wifi adapter I had before I wouldn't do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L

Intel Q6600 Quad Core

4GB DDR2 800

WD Caviar 120GB SATA

WD Caviar 500GB SATA

Phillips DVD/RW SATA

Have you tried SL as yet on this mobo. I tried it using boot CD method and got it running on my rig. Found it more stable, no KPs, some minor issues which can be fixed using DSDT.aml editing. Only major issue in SL with this mobo is sound which I am unable to get till now. Still trying.. will update if I am able to get sound on it.