Dell Precision M4400 Installation Guide

mostlynew

24 posts in this topic

Hey all. I've been mostly successful installing this, with 3 major glitches.

- Can't get wireless working. Update: It works! See below.

- Graphics support causes inability to shutdown/restart.

- Touchpad isn't functional.

I'm going to post a guide here that will evolve as people submit suggestions. I'm going to keep reinstalling till I get this completely right, and post improvements to my procedure as they come along. So to reiterate, this install guide is not complete -- but I'm hoping it will be after some modification.

--------------------

Specs

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/produ...00_brochure.pdf

Dell Precision M4400 Laptop

Intel Core 2 Duo PM45, 2.53GHz

8GB DDR2 800MHz SDRAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M 512MB (equivalent to GeForce 9600M GT)

Intel 82657 Ethernet

Dell 1397 802.11g Wireless Mini Card

Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth

OSX86 Distribution

iDeneb v1.4 (OSX 10.5.6)

Installation

After erasing the disk (this procedure assumes single-boot), customize the iDeneb distro to install:

Chipset: ICHx Fixed

Sound: IDT HDA

Ethernet: Intel 82656

Fix: Battery/Power Management Utility

Post-Install

Everything thus far should work out of the box: ethernet, dual cores detected, all RAM detected, battery/power management, and sound. You should also be able to shut down, restart the computer without any glitches. Here's where things get hairy.

Graphics

Install NVIDIA_9000_Series_Driver_v2.zip found here: http://www.onetimesales.com/drivers/macosx/video/. You should be able to reboot after this with no issues.

However, the NVIDIA drivers alone won't cut it. The only thing I installed that could get Graphics Accel working was NVDarwin 1.2.3 (from the same site as above). However, after installing this I cannot fully shutdown or reboot -- I must hold down the power button. Your graphic card should be fully functional, however. Keep in mind you'll be able to reboot one last time before the drivers take effect, so don't get your hopes up.

I attempted the PowerOff_bug_fix.kext patch, however this didn't solve the problem. I'll figure something out, I hope. I'll try out some alternative procedures for installing graphics support, starting with this one:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t136309.html

Note: If you get a screen flicker, try sleeping the display. This can be done by enabling hotspots in your screensaver settings; check the box to sleep the display upon rolling over one of the corners of the screen. After the display is slept once, you shouldn't get a screen flicker anymore.

Wireless Internet

You can get Wireless Internet simply by running bcm43xx_enabler.sh found in many places. I've attached it to this post. Simply run:

sudo bcm43xx_enabler.sh

After running the script, reboot and you should have AirPort working correctly.

Touchpad

I have the same problem as others -- the touchpad goes CRAZY upon contact. I tried installing this glidepad driver: http://www.onetimesales.com/drivers/macosx..._Driver.pkg.zip with no success. What happened was that the cursor only moved in one direction (and very slowly) no matter how I was directing it. Funny thing is, when I loaded my BIOS utility after installing the driver, the touchpad worked perfectly there. Suggestions are welcome -- I can go without a touchpad, but I'd sure prefer to have one.

Untested

Bluetooth and the SD reader remain untested. I never use either, but if there's a way to get them working without causing a panic or hurting my ability to shutdown/restart, please let me know.

------------------

I'll have improvements to this later. Happy hacking.

bcm43xx_enabler_0.5.3.sh.zip

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
just try voodoops2controller

i did - with the result that my keyboard, trackpoint and trackpad didnt respont anymore

so be carefull !!!

actualy i can live with the trackpad like it is now

but i realy need a solution for the shutdown, restart, sleep bug caused by nvinject and geforce 9xxx v2 kexts

i did - with the result that my keyboard, trackpoint and trackpad didnt respont anymore

so be carefull !!!

actualy i can live with the trackpad like it is now

but i realy need a solution for the shutdown, restart, sleep bug caused by nvinject and geforce 9xxx v2 kexts

It's very strange - I've got a voodoops2 worked (keyboard, glider and knob) on iDeneb.

After reinstalling wiht munky's method (kext on EFI partition) I've got only keyboard working (w/o two others).

could you post your voodoops2 version ?

in the voodoops2 installer i had the option to install also an trackpad kext with preference panel

maybe this was the problem

why do you use munky's method ?

could you solve the nvidia shutdown problem ?

could you post your voodoops2 version ?

in the voodoops2 installer i had the option to install also an trackpad kext with preference panel

maybe this was the problem

why do you use munky's method ?

could you solve the nvidia shutdown problem ?

I'm trying to fix poweroff problem with DSDT - still not working.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to install a 10.5.6 version too on my M4400.

But both iDeneb 1.4 or XxX Universal Final will install fine but my graphics dont work (max 1024x768), my audio dont work, touchpad goes crazy, pointing stick works fine.

Am i doing something wrong as you were able to get the audio working and the graphics.

I tried the graphics drivers from the links above.

I am trying to install a 10.5.6 version too on my M4400.

But both iDeneb 1.4 or XxX Universal Final will install fine but my graphics dont work (max 1024x768), my audio dont work, touchpad goes crazy, pointing stick works fine.

Am i doing something wrong as you were able to get the audio working and the graphics.

I tried the graphics drivers from the links above.

with iDeneb 1.4 choose

after that install

NVIDIA_9000_Series_Driver_v2

and than nvinject 512 (its on the ideneb dvd)

for the trackpad delete the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext in the default System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

for PCMCIA take IOPCMCIAFamily.kext

dont forget to clear the extension cache after each kext install

you can do that with osx86tools

with iDeneb 1.4 choose

after that install

NVIDIA_9000_Series_Driver_v2

and than nvinject 512 (its on the ideneb dvd)

for the trackpad delete the ApplePS2Trackpad.kext in the default System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext

for PCMCIA take IOPCMCIAFamily.kext

dont forget to clear the extension cache after each kext install

you can do that with osx86tools

Ok, its working :-)

Audio is up and running, video resolution is 1920x1200 :)

Just the touchpad....if i remove the kext my keyboard and trackstick stop working too and only an external keyboard and mouse work.

Also my Dell 1510 wifi card doesnt work....

I did read something about this as an Apple update but it wont install on 10.5.6 or 10.5.7.

I updated to iDeneb 10.5.7 but i cannot see any changes.

I also would like to have a battery meter so i can keep an eye on that as i think its running at max power all the time.

Then..there is also a Latitude E6500 topic, and as the M4400 is practicly the same...maybe that topic has some solutions.

In the topic above it says the kext solves the touchpad issue.

Also confirmed by M4400 user SethVIII8.

I still cannot get my 1510N card working though it should be able to work, i just cannot find a driver for it.

Also the touchpad...and as i stated above ithere have been reports it was solved.

Powermanagement and battery meter would be nice but i wont mind to live without it.

This weekend i'll try a clean install on a second harddrive and see if i can solve my issues.

Ok, new clean install with iDeneb 1.5.1 10.5.7.

Almost all is working, wifi, sound, video after the above nVidia install.

But touchpad and pointing stick dont work so i use an external USB mouse with the internal keyboard.

Battery meter is working too.

The system wont reboot/shutdown.

Le see if i can fix the rest :jerry:

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I also have a M4400, I have 10.5.6 installed. I also cannot figure out how to get the video to work. I did follow the directions of the first post, however nothing happens, same rez

I also saw another post, having to inject something, I dont know what that means when he said its on the CD, how do i install it?

Could someone explain in easy to understand detail on how to install video drivers?

Eg i already downloaded the 9000v2 driver, I assume you have to uncheck all that done apple before installing? eg in the custom settings?

after that is done and re-boots, what is next? Any help would be great, just dont know if should be copying something over to the extensions folder or whatnot...

many thanks!

Hey all, Well I am running the newest version 1.5 with only 1 problem now. When i walk away from teh computer for 3mins, the screen is off and it wont come back, only thing I can do is , hold the power button to turn it off and re start it and then once again all is well.

Trackpad, works 100%

Video Works 100%

Sounds Works 100%

Wireless (i have the intel one) so i have to order the one that will work

Power on/off works 100%

Walk away from the computer for a few mins, of non use, it freezes

I turned off all of the power saving features, problem is still here, anyone have a clue to what it may be?

can someone explain on step by step on how to install the sudo bcm43xx_enabler.sh command? I am running the command in the same directory, but i just the message command not found.... I am running it as root, or at least I think I am ;)

After reading the forum allot , there is a ton of un-helpful people here, everyoen just wants it to work, but hardley no one will give the correct info on how to fix something when its not working, even know if they know how, they will only share bits and peices witch isnt helpful.

Anyways, when you install the new wifi card, you will want to run this command after downloading the wifi patch from this post

You will want to Google the root password to make one if you havent done that already.

open terminal

“sudo su”

type password

sudo + drag file bcm43xx_enabler.sh in wifi folder to the terminal then press return

then follow the directions that come up on the screen..

• 6 months later...

i got newly get a dell Precision m4400...

I search the forum about the product... there are lots of inputs but not in order...

Is there anyone working with dell precision m4400 with 10.6 or 10.5 in production or pro home user format here?

If exist please share your steps for installation and tip/tricks.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
i got newly get a dell Precision m4400...

I search the forum about the product... there are lots of inputs but not in order...

Is there anyone working with dell precision m4400 with 10.6 or 10.5 in production or pro home user format here?

If exist please share your steps for installation and tip/tricks.

Thanks.

I just finished installing my Dell Precision M4400 with Mac OS 10.6.3 + Windows 7-64bit...

I was able to build a USB Drive that does the trick to deploy everything without having to remove the HD, most of what I found did not work... I was able to boot but the HD was missing or I got a panic during boot.

After deploying the OS I added drivers for:

- Ethernet (Intel)

- Battery (Voodoo)

- HDAudio (Voodoo)

- PS2 Kbd (Voodoo) - But the trackpad goes crazy, stick works fine...

Wireless will not work since it is Intel 5300....

Webcam, Bluetooth & IR not recognized

• 2 months later...
I just finished installing my Dell Precision M4400 with Mac OS 10.6.3 + Windows 7-64bit...

I was able to build a USB Drive that does the trick to deploy everything without having to remove the HD, most of what I found did not work... I was able to boot but the HD was missing or I got a panic during boot.

After deploying the OS I added drivers for:

- Ethernet (Intel)

- Battery (Voodoo)

- HDAudio (Voodoo)

- PS2 Kbd (Voodoo) - But the trackpad goes crazy, stick works fine...

Wireless will not work since it is Intel 5300....

Webcam, Bluetooth & IR not recognized

Could you post a walkthrough or maybe a guide... some instruction would be nice to have so that I too can try to build the same OS. Maybe I could help you with your problems. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
Could you post a walkthrough or maybe a guide... some instruction would be nice to have so that I too can try to build the same OS. Maybe I could help you with your problems. Thanks.

Anyone have any advice for 10.7? 10.6.7 was fine, but then 10.6.8-10.7.2 all yield the "PCI Configuration End" or "RTC Memory" hang at boot.

That was with TonyMacx86's methods...I plan to try myHack now. I don't believe iATKOS worked for me either. I would try XPC, but I think it will frag my HD...I want to keep WinBlowz7.

• 10 months later...

Hallo everybody,

I own a Precision M4400.

I've followed all the steps to install the iDeneb 1.5.1 10.5.7.

But I still, the video card isn't working.

I can't get the NVdarwin installer 1.2.3, as the page is offline.

Can anybody help, please?

Thank you very much,

Stefano

DELL Precision M4400,

T 9600

4 GB

Quadro 770M