[Guide] Dell Inspiron 8600 Guide w/9600

a2000rick

50 posts in this topic

I was having that same problem with it locking up when the lid was closed. There is a solution!!! It's called insomnia and it prevents the machine from ever trying to sleep. It works great, I've been using if for a month. The solution is in this thread:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=13830

Look at the last post to get Insomnia.zip rather than Insomnia.kext.zip

Hey guys, here is my configuration:

tiger-x86-10.4.6

macvidia drivers, desktop @ 1680 x 1500 @ 60 Hz

No QE, no CI, no DVD playback, if someone has the answer to the dvd playback, i would appreciate it..

Haven't tried the battery metter stuff.

No monitor auto-turning-off.

Everything else is cool.

it might be because you dont have CI/QE enabled ... and thats because CI/QE dont work yet for nVidia cards. slithy probabaly has an ATI card like me. Although the built in DVD player does give me problems, VLC works alright. nVidia drivers should be released soon, and then it should work.

Yeah I have an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo in my laptop. For the first time, having an ATI card is good except for the mouse pointer artifacting.

VLC works fine, but the bult-in dvd player pretty much locked up the OS when I put a DVD in.

i have an ati radeon 9600se and i can't get CI and QE to work, i'm trying with callisto 008 but reading some post they said that it's better the 003 version.

Anybody can help me to make this work? i'm running 10.4.6 on a AMD Sempron

Cheers

I only have access to JaS 10.4.6 and my laptop is an Inspiron 6000. Am I S.O.L. on this because of the 10.4.6? can anyone please PM me even a hint where I can find the Myzar 10.4.5? is it that necessary to have the older version? Is my laptop too different from the 8600?

Specs:

Inspiron 6000

Intel Pentium M 2.0 Ghz

1GB RAM

ATI Mobility Radeon x300

Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG

Sigmatel C-Major Audio

Thanks in advance for any help.

The processor doesnt matter, but the video card does. Dont use the higher reslution trick for your card. You need these drivers: http://macvidia.starchaser.org/

And if you have a intel wireless card it wont work, just as mine did not work

-------------------------------

cgtx32:

For the higher resolution hack you NEED 10.4.5 ati drivers. send me your email in a pm and ill send them to you. make sure its gmail though, or something that can accept large files. (not hotmail)

I have a Dell 8600 with Nvidia FxGo5200 card. I tried the MacVidia_beta2_1_installer but no luck for the higher resolution. I tried the first suggestion on this page too with no luck (I changed it to my Device ID which is 0324): http://macvidia.starchaser.org/boards/beta...-fx-5200-a.html

Still a little confused on what to try now? Edit: I realize I asked a stupid question about Nvidia card and then asking wether I need the ATI drivers..doh!

Hey guys, here is my configuration:

tiger-x86-10.4.6

macvidia drivers, desktop @ 1680 x 1500 @ 60 Hz

No QE, no CI, no DVD playback, if someone has the answer to the dvd playback, i would appreciate it..

Haven't tried the battery metter stuff.

No monitor auto-turning-off.

Everything else is cool.

Can you give some feedback on how you got the macvida drivers to work on the FxGo5200 card? Which build/version? And any other details. I tried MacVidia_beta2_1_installer but no change. Thanks

This is how i got my Inspiron to work almost perfectly. Hope it helps.

I couldnt get the built in wireless to work, but using the D-Link AirPlus DWL-G650, wireless worked no problem

Hey Rick, can you shed some light on how your got the D-Link AirPlus DWL-G650 working? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I fixed the QE/CL support for the 9600 card. Im currently using Callisto and CallistoFB.

I understand most people failed with this attempt to enable QE and CL wihtout Koverg's patch. Here's what I did:

1) Install Callisto Drivers

2) Reboot

3) Add "CallistoFB" to ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin

4) Remove the Extensions.mkext/kextcache

5) Reboot

6) It should work.. it worked for me.

Btw.. just incase people say "You don't have a 8600, your sig says 6000d", I have a 8600, its just my older laptop that I use solely for school work since the battery life on this thing is outragous better.

Any questions, e-mail/pm me for faster (I don't visit the forums much) responses.

i just want to say thanks for compiling all of this info together. it has really helped me accomplished a lot. playing with osx86 is just as convincing as picking up a macbook. i think my future investments will goto apple.

intel speedstep doesn't cut it?

anyone else having choppy sound on JaS 10.4.6? (Sigmatel 9750)

should i use myzar 10.4.5?

I have no way of knowing if speedstep is functioning correctly or not. Don't know where I can check my cpu frequency. All I know is that the battery life is about the same length as in Gentoo or Windows with CPU at %100.

Just thought i'd mention the TrueMobile interna wireless cards (mine's the a/b/g 1450) worked with no adjustments with the HOTiSo 10.4.6 release.

And just a note for some: don't see the "ati mobility drivers" in the HOTiSo release and think that it works for the ATI 9600PRO - it doesn't

• 2 weeks later...