Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.1 Retail Install Notes

Bart86

90 posts in this topic

Well, Chameleon 2rc1 lets you "inject" values into the smbios table. The defaults get loaded with AppleSMBIOS.kext (a native OSX kext) and you can override values or add your own elements to that by adding values to /Extra/smbios.plist.

This is better solution to other approaches which use hacked replacement SMBIOS kexts to get a decent set of values. SMBIOSEFI.kext and a couple of others are examples of the later.

Hope that helps

How much RAM are you using and in what config (eg. 2 or 4 DIMMS)?

Interesting I changed my kext in /Extra to:

AHCIPortInjector.kext

AppleDecrypt.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

Disabler.kext

HDAEnabler.kext (10.5.7 version)

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

LegacyHDAController.kext (10.5.7 version)

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext (10.5.7 version)

LegacyJMicronATASATAIDEmode.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

RealtekR1000.kext (I think this one is failing to load from /Extras, but needed for iTunes bonjour support!)

And reaplied the 10.5.7 update, did a Permissions Repair - and inactivity sleeps seems to be working again????? The funny thing is while sleep wan't working, the screen lock was, now screensaver lock is not and sleep is??? NOPE, slept twice from inactivity, then no more!

The configuration is the first in my sig:

Q9550, 8 Gigs RAM (4 x 2 GB sticks), 9600 GT 512 MB...

EDIT: solved the screensaver/sleep lock function with "defaults -currentHost write com.apple.screensaver askForPassword -int 1"...

Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.1 - F9 Firmware - Q6600 - nVidia 9600GT

Future -

At some point I would like to move everything over to the EFI partition. That would off the ultimate in compatibility. Even fresh retail installs with no bootcd or any tweaks afterwards. But most importantly, you'll also be able to do a full disk recovery from a time machine disk which you can't do from a bootcd unless you make a custom one. Maybe someone can toss that into this thread.

Bart86,

fiddles101 has a great write up on using the EFI partition ([Guide]GA EP35 DS4 Install - Chameleon 2.0 RC1 EFI Patition - 10.5.6 Retail (Update 10.5.7) & Boot132 - DSDT patched GFX, Audio, NIC )

I tried it on a GA-EP35C-DS3R and it worked great.

The main reason I wanted to do it was to be able to boot a native DVD with EFI strings in place for Time Machine restore. Then I learned that currently Chameleon can't boot DVD's. When they get that working, I'll look into it again. Without being able to boot DVD's not sure there is huge benefit.

Found the sleep issue on my system - Elgato EyeTV - removed it and sleep with 10.5.7 is working again!

EDIT: Maybe it wasn't just the software - what i have noticed is that if there is a CD/DVD in the drive (Samsung OEM SH-S223Q) it will sleep fine, if the drive is empty - when the time for sleep executes the drive spins up and prevents sleep??? All three of my machines have the same drive so i can't test to see if it is the Samsung drive or some other factor. Also, the drive is hooked up to SATA port 5 on the Intel ICH10R chip, not the GSATA. If anyone wants to test that and report back...

I'll test. I have EyeTV loaded as well, so you might be on to something. I've noticed that something tries to access DVD ever couple of minutes. I'm also using a Samsung.

UPDATE - Confirmed. Having a DVD in the drive enables auto-sleep to engage. Nice job! I left EyeTV installed, so it was not a factor. My unit is an SH-S203N. I also have Toast Titanium 10.0.2 installed. Updated the drives firmware from SB01 to SB02, but that had no effect. I'll keep digging.

A little update. I've done a fresh install and update to 10.5.7 on a fresh drive. Bone stock except the steps necessary to get graphics and ethernet working. I also nuked all global, system, and user preferences after the 10.5.7 update just to make sure, and the auto-sleep problem persists.

So I guess we can rule out software, plist, or preferences corruption as the source of this issue.

A little update. I've done a fresh install and update to 10.5.7 on a fresh drive. Bone stock except the steps necessary to get graphics and ethernet working. I also nuked all global, system, and user preferences after the 10.5.7 update just to make sure, and the auto-sleep problem persists.

So I guess we can rule out software, plist, or preferences corruption as the source of this issue.

I have done the same steps also! But, the CD in the drive works every time! Not really happy with that, but a work around that I can live with...

Hello gang,

As a newbie, can I humbly request that someone please post all the necessary kexts needed for this motherboard to work with 10.5.7 and Chameleon 2 RC1. I know Bart86 says in his post to go find them on our own. I have searched and searched, and I can never seem to find the exact same file name as the ones he lists and then I am uncertain as to if the version is for the right version of OSX.

If someone can simply copy them from their Extra directory along with the script that makes them work, this would be terrific help to me and other newbies with this motherboard.

If necessary, I could even host the download on my server for everyone to use.

Thanks,

Hernando

Hello gang,

As a newbie, can I humbly request that someone please post all the necessary kexts needed for this motherboard to work with 10.5.7 and Chameleon 2 RC1. I know Bart86 says in his post to go find them on our own. I have searched and searched, and I can never seem to find the exact same file name as the ones he lists and then I am uncertain as to if the version is for the right version of OSX.

If someone can simply copy them from their Extra directory along with the script that makes them work, this would be terrific help to me and other newbies with this motherboard.

If necessary, I could even host the download on my server for everyone to use.

Thanks,

Hernando

I am uploading the kexts on my Extra directory which include AppleDecrypt.kext/Disabler.kext i also added AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler inside Disabler/OpenHaltRestart.kext/LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext and the script so that you can host them if you want.

Note- that i am using an add on NIC card so i am not using RealtekR1000.kext and the AHCIPortInjector.kext since 10.5.7 has support for ICH10.

I also recommend getting the UUID.kext, this not only fixes the uuid error 35, but it also fixes the problem in which when you have the "require password to wake from sleep or screensaver" option on, it does not ask for Authentication when coming out of screensaver, this kext fixes that issue, you can google UUID.kext and you will find it really fast.

Auto sleep is still a no go ;)

Extra.zip

Why are you posting R1000.kext, UUID.kext, or even using an add-on NIC? You don't need any of that with the UD3P, and no you don't need it for bonjour, tm, or anything else if you set it up correctly with a proper EFI string.

Those particular kexts are not part of my guide, so please don't refer to them here so we can avoid confusing others who read this later.

Why are you posting R1000.kext, UUID.kext, or even using an add-on NIC? You don't need any of that with the UD3P, and no you don't need it for bonjour, tm, or anything else if you set it up correctly with a proper EFI string.

Those particular kexts are not part of my guide, so please don't refer to them here so we can avoid confusing others who read this later.

Bart86,

With the Time Machine fix from Uinstaller your able to get bonjour working fine? I have had to use the R1000.kext to get 1) icons of other Macs (real ones and Netatalk Linux machines) to show correctly (as Macs and not Windows), and 2) music sharing through iTunes to work. I would love to eliminate the kext, I will look for the string to add manually to com.apple.Boot.plist. My en0 was showing up as BuiltIn in NetworkingInterfaces.plist...

Bart86,

am not trying to cause confusion, i simply was not able to get Bonjour working correctly with your guide, i followed step by step but i still can't see my brothers shared iTunes library with built in NIC, so if you could please post step by step how you got the built in NIC to work so that i can remove the add on.

I said that am not using R1000.kext, because i prefer to buy a addon nic instead of using R1000.kext until i can get built in nic to work correctly.

Bart86,

With the Time Machine fix from Uinstaller your able to get bonjour working fine? I have had to use the R1000.kext to get 1) icons of other Macs (real ones and Netatalk Linux machines) to show correctly (as Macs and not Windows), and 2) music sharing through iTunes to work. I would love to eliminate the kext, I will look for the string to add manually to com.apple.Boot.plist. My en0 was showing up as BuiltIn in NetworkingInterfaces.plist...

Yes, my wife has an XP machine with Bonjor and Itunes and her machine shows up on my install. I'll verify tonight if there are any issues sharing iTunes just to make sure and let you know.

Bart86 please detail how you got onboard lan working w/bonjour and no UUID issues

thanks

I get about 4 or 5 UUID errors on bootup in the system.log just prior to the network interface getting initiallized. After it initialized they go away which is gerneally the way it works on most hacks.

Bart86,

am not trying to cause confusion, i simply was not able to get Bonjour working correctly with your guide, i followed step by step but i still can't see my brothers shared iTunes library with built in NIC, so if you could please post step by step how you got the built in NIC to work so that i can remove the add on.

I said that am not using R1000.kext, because i prefer to buy a addon nic instead of using R1000.kext until i can get built in nic to work correctly.

I'll checkit out and let you know. Your the 2nd person mentioning sharing iTunes over bonjor so I'll try to verifiy it since I have not tested that directly.

Ok, update on testing for you guys having Bonjour issues.

- I loaded iTunes on a Windows Vista laptop (actually Windows 7 rc1).

- On my Hack I opened iTunes > Preferences and shared my iTunes library.

- On the notebook I opened iTunes and it immediately saw the shared Library (ala Bonjour).

- I clicked on a song which prompted me to authorized the notebook on iTunes.

- Once I authorized through the iTunes store, the song played.

Everything works fine from what I can tell. Again, just to clarify, this is using the stock driver from 10.5.7 and NOT the Pystar RT1000.kext.

Anymore testing you want me to do?

Ok, update on testing for you guys having Bonjour issues.

- I loaded iTunes on a Windows Vista laptop (actually Windows 7 rc1).

- On my Hack I opened iTunes > Preferences and shared my iTunes library.

- On the notebook I opened iTunes and it immediately saw the shared Library (ala Bonjour).

- I clicked on a song which prompted me to authorized the notebook on iTunes.

- Once I authorized through the iTunes store, the song played.

Everything works fine from what I can tell. Again, just to clarify, this is using the stock driver from 10.5.7 and NOT the Pystar RT1000.kext.

Anymore testing you want me to do?

-do you think it matters that my board is Rev 1.0 and your is 1.1?

-am going to redo everything on your guide one more time to see, maybe i missed something and ill remove the r1000.kext and post my results.

hey everyone,

i got my 10.5.7 running on an Ep45-DS3p and am running into similar issues with bonjour.

my retail install allows for the network card to work however bonjour does not work with retail kexts

i've tried pystar RT1000.kext which made bonjour work, however when waking up from sleep the system would crash

currently im trying rt1000.kext found in a post on here (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29436), this is currently allowing me to get bonjour support on the card however the network interface will not renew dhcp after sleep, so i have had to set the ip manually to overcome this issue

i'm going to try and contact the developer to see if he/she can implement dhcp renewal after sleep, otherwise if there are other solutions available i'll be watching this thread closely for them.

Hello Folks,

I currently have a couple of issues with the UD3P and am wondering if its just my hardware configuration or if others are experiencing these problems as well.

1) This one is a known issue-Auto sleep does not work.

2) When monitor goes to sleep, after resume i get distorted video(it resembles a TV that has no signal-white noise)

3) After waking up from sleep, some of my USB ports do not work.

i have noticed that the first 2 ports from the top always do work, this is where i plug in my mouse and keyboard. in order to get the rest to work i either have to replug the usb devices or i have to restart.

4) Following this guide i have not been able to get built in Ethernet to work with Bonjour, so for now am using a Netgear GA311 Ethernet card.

My hardware:

EP45-UD3P rev 1.0 - Core 2 Quad Q6600@3GHz - Geforce 9800 GTX+ - 8GB DDR2 1066 - Onboard Audio - NETGEAR GA311 -Retal 10.5.7 - Chameleon 2.0 RC1 EFI.

Other than that everything else is works fine,

Thanks for the feedback.

Hello Folks,

I currently have a couple of issues with the UD3P and am wondering if its just my hardware configuration or if others are experiencing these problems as well.

1) This one is a known issue-Auto sleep does not work.

2) When monitor goes to sleep, after resume i get distorted video(it resembles a TV that has no signal-white noise)

3) After waking up from sleep, some of my USB ports do not work.

i have noticed that the first 2 ports from the top always do work, this is where i plug in my mouse and keyboard. in order to get the rest to work i either have to replug the usb devices or i have to restart.

4) Following this guide i have not been able to get built in Ethernet to work with Bonjour, so for now am using a Netgear GA311 Ethernet card.

My hardware:

EP45-UD3P rev 1.0 - Core 2 Quad Q6600@3GHz - Geforce 9800 GTX+ - 8GB DDR2 1066 - Onboard Audio - NETGEAR GA311 -Retal 10.5.7 - Chameleon 2.0 RC1 EFI.

Other than that everything else is works fine,

Thanks for the feedback.

The static your seeing on your monitor is pretty common and dependent on your LCD. I used to have a 965P board with a 8600GT that would do it almost every time coming out of sleep (with my Acer monitor). I would have to turn the monitor on and off several times sometimes to get it to wake up. With the UD3P, 9600GT, and Samsung display, I've seen it happen maybe once in the past 3 months, and it always fixes itself. I believe the issue is related to HDCP/HDMI security. The static is displayed until the monitor can sync up with the video card.

Have not had any issues with any of my USB ports and I think I'm using 3 of them (top 2 and bottom one). Perhaps someone can chime in.

Bonjour inbound services look to be not working. Outbound does. I don't use them, but looks like you've found a workaround. I'm still researching, but it looks like you either need to start using the RT1000.kext from Pystar, if you want that feature on the built-in port. I suspect if I'm ever able to get that fixed it will be in the form of a DSDT.aml. I've updated the original post to reflect this. I really don't have the time to work on it right now.

Hold up. Been playing around more and it's looking like outbound connections are ok, but picking up services isn't working (e.g. I can't do the inverse of what I listed above). Still working on it.

That is the scenario that I am seeing, real Mac Pro has library of music and Hac can't see/access. Also I have a FreeNAS server with the daap protocol turned on that Mac Pro can see, but not Hac...

EP45-UD3p, Q8300, Apple NVIDIA 8800 to boot and Saphire 3870 for final.

I am using this tutorial and drivers.

http://leopardsoup.pbworks.com/ud3p

I setup my BIOS according to the PDF he included. Seemed pretty standard.

I was able to use his "MagicBootDisc_UD3P" which is his own BOOT132, but has an extra forlder for UD3P drivers.

I used the stock nvidia 8800 from my real mac pro and was able to install OS X and update to 10.5.7. I then re-booted with 10.5.7 using the BOOT132 and then the next thing I installed was weaksauce12's custom UInstaller.

Attached is an image of exactly what I installed, for the "Apply EFI String for video card" I just used the default 3870.hex. I am using the Saphire RADEON 512mb 3870.

Then I swapped out my 8800 for the 3870 on the motherboard, rebooted, then I got a kernal panic. So I put back in the 8800 and still got a kernal panic, put the 3870 in again.. More kernal panic..

What step did I miss?

I am ready to start over again, but I wonder how to proceed, I might forget the tutorial at weaksauce and follow this thread a little more closely. I am about to try again..

If there is anything like the order of drivers to be installed, I would love to know. I was in a bootable 10.5.7, then I installed the UInstaller, then kernal panics.

Also do I have to boot from scratch again? Or can I boot into a terminal and play with the kext files?

About to try again, gonna follow the main post a little more tightly.

Thanks!!

So I was able to get a stable 10.5.7 by following this thread more carefully. unforunitly I am not able to get my sapphire 3870 100% working. I am able to use the card, and it says that CI/QE are enabled, but if I use any software that looks to see if I have a CI/QE video card, I get an error that I have 0MB of VRAM on my card.

Still trying to figure that out..