Chameleon Install: Infinite Reboot Loop

ksudeadeye

5 posts in this topic

Hey All:

I'm trying get OSX 10.5.6 (retail) running on my workstation (Asus P5B-D mobo).

I have Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on a 16GB thumb drive and I'm trying to use it to install the retail DVD iso on an external 320 GB hard drive. Kalyway runs great. I can install the retail DVD iso, the 10.5.6 combo update, and Chameleon (v2.0RC1) without an issue.

Once I reboot, I set my BIOS to boot off the external drive. I briefly see some lines of hex on the screen (similar to Kalyway's boot process) and then the machine suddenly reboots. This loops over and over again. Chameleon never loads.

I've attached screenshots of the parition tables for the thumb drive (Kalyway) and the external drive (retail). The only difference I can see is that the thumb drive's EFI parition is FAT32, while the external drive has an HFS+ EFI partition. In both cases the EFI parition is the boot partition.

Not sure where to go from here. Thanks in advance for any help.

-ksudeadeye

16 GB Thumb Drive (Kalyway)

osx_repair.jpeg

320 GB External Drive (Retail)

osx_retail.jpeg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was having this problem when attempting to upgrade to Chameleon 2 RC3 on a GUID-partitioned drive. Chameleon 1 worked fine, but any version of Chameleon 2 rebooted before even hitting the GUI. The problem was resolved by using Munky's Guide to reformat my 200 MB EFI partition as HFS+, and then putting the stage 2 boot loader ("boot") and /Extra on this partition instead of on the OS X partition. I used fdisk to mark the EFI partition as active, and then ran gpt_sync to make sure the GPT partition table matched the MBR table. I'm not sure if the gpt_sync step was necessary, but it's served me well in the past.

Anyway, by having the 2nd stage boot loader on the EFI partition instead of on my OS X partition, Chameleon 2 RC3 works like a charm.

• 7 months later...

I have the same Chameleon infinite reboot issue, but if i boot using "cpus=1" the Os loads.After the installation using DSDTPatcherGUI i fixed the Darwin Bootloader, and Leopard recognized well my two cores.

How can i patch Chameleon?

Thx