Finally replaced the Dock... FULLY!

DownshiftDX

9 posts in this topic

Thanks to WindowShadeX, FruitMenu, PathFinder, YouControl:Desktops, and MultiFinderX I am now able to banish the Dock!

WindowShadeX was the last piece to make it possible! I can minimize windows to semitransparent live previews on the desktop. FruitMenu launches apps and provides information. PathFinder stomps all over Finder for file management and customization as well as providing a full desktop with a Trashcan. YCD replaces Spaces + Many more options and individual backgrounds. Finally MultiFinderX provides convenient application switching. This is just awesome!

I know some people are not fans of the haxies, but I have had very little trouble with them. (Note: I also take the time to keep applications that I don't think benefit from it in the master exclude list hopefully minimizing dangers to system stability.)

I've only come across one application that doesn't play nice with WindowShadeX and that is Wings3D which I am not all that hurt over. Maybe the Unsanity guys can fix it?

Pics attached...

post-230194-1240035736_thumb.png

post-230194-1240035752_thumb.png

post-230194-1240035759_thumb.png

One fix, one tiny little option added on Apple's part and I would be fine with the Dock ... let me pin it down to the desktop. PLEASE! :)

I should get the choice if I want it in my face all the time or every time I go to the edge of the screen. (I had it on auto hide since most of the time I was on my MacBook and wanted the screen space.) Just let my programs overlap the Dock space and not have it push everything out of the way and I am fine. Even the fact that the Finder, Trash, Spaces, and Expose are hard coded to appear in or as part of the Dock even if Finder isn't running would be acceptable. (Though I firmly believe that Finder, Dock, Spaces, and Expose should all be separate... but that is another small gripe all together.)

...yeah it may be a little crazy to go to this extent just to fix one aspect I have issues with, but what the heck. :)

you just have blown away the entire mac feeling...

I assure you, it still feels very much "Mac." It is just a bit more streamined to my tastes. Somewhere between OS 9's behavior with OS X look, stability, and software. Really a great combination.

• 3 weeks later...