USB/Firewire Combo PCI Card - not being read properly

Mebster

5 posts in this topic

I borrowed a USB/Firewire Combo PCI Card from my mate to use on my desktop.

When I inserted the card XP was able to read it fine even without the drivers installed but OSX kinda did also but not too well.

It read the fact that the card was there under PCI in the Hardware section. I know this because when I removed the card the listing under PCI was no longer there. But when I insert my USB memory stick into the USB slot of the card, sometimes it looked as though it is reading it (USB stick lights up) and other times nothing happens. But no matter what I do the USB stick is never displayed on the Desktop as a folder as it does when I use the other USB slots that came with my pc.

I brought the card from ebuyer and it isn't branded so am unable to give any detail really. What I really want to use is the Firewire slots but they don't work either. :angel:

Does anyone know how to get this running? :blink:

so am unable to give any detail really. What I really want to use is the Firewire slots but they don't work either. :)
You could try to run Everesthome220.exe under Windows and post the chipset or try to run 'ioreg -l' under Mac terminal and post/attach the output. Either one will show chipset if recognized. How do you know your Firewire is not working- ie. what have you tested? You can also read the chipset off the card itself as printed on the IC.

I am running 10.4.5 at the moment along with XP Pro.

I really suck at identifying my system config, even with Everest and CPU-z installed. Can someone please guide me as to how to find the necessary info that’s required.

Or if someone wants they could help by looking at the report i made using Everest.

To be honest i can't be sure the firewire port doesn't work (in OSX). I just don't think it worked as when i connected my connected my camcorder using the firewire port nothing happened. I don't have any drivers for the camcorder so that might also be the reason.

I really appreciate all your help.