Leopard in VMWare without Intel VT?

42 posts in this topic

I have an Intel Core Duo - so no VT for me.

Is there any way that I can get leopard going inside a vm?

I have tried a few, but they all (I think) cause VMWare to say that the guest OS had a kernel stack fault and asks me if I want to reset it.

I have even tried using -legacy (unsure if tried on all).

In my possession I have: XxX 10.5.6, Kalyway 10.5.2, Jas 10.5(.4?), Leo4All 10.5.2

I have XxX 10.5.6 installed and running 97% well (non-VMWare install - I select it from ntldr)

I have VMWare Workstation 6.5.1. The reason I want to get OSX working in VMWare is because I'm having a crash on a certain app which only occurs on the native install (I believe it to be due to the graphics drivers)

newer version of vmware do not support mac osx due to legal issues.

tips: try to google mac osx leopard for vmware like pcwiz osx install pack

They do support OS X from a technical standpoint just that it is against the EULA. My thread will show you how to use retail on VMware. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=139178

For OP what is the CPU model number as most C2D processors are VT enabled?

It's not a core 2. just core duo (or "intel dual core" i guess)

According to the receipt I have, it's an E5200

If it does have vt, there's no option in the bios. Nor will VMWare let me run any 64 bit OS

OK try the darwin-32 template in my post mentioned above.

well, still no luck. they get past the kernel stack fault, but just stop doing anything eventually.

the 10.5.6 even has a kernel crash which i can post an image off if it would help.

The furthest any of them got was Leo4All, which managed to get the background image displayed. Didn't do anything more though.

well, still no luck. they get past the kernel stack fault, but just stop doing anything eventually.

the 10.5.6 even has a kernel crash which i can post an image off if it would help.

The furthest any of them got was Leo4All, which managed to get the background image displayed. Didn't do anything more though.

The Workstation UI cannot create a darwin VMX file currently, as very specific parameters are needed. Also the VMDK virtual disk has EFI partition setup with the relevant drivers for booting under VMware. I also assume you are using the legacy flag during installation to ensure 32-bit code only used.

nope. Do I have to do anything special with that in VMWare?

Just follow the post I mentioned earlier. You will need to ensure a compatible processor is present.

I believe it's retail.

Is there a way I can tell (i.e. look for a file on the HFS+ partition?)

It's got Xcode tools under optional installs - something I've never seen on something like a Kalyway disc...

It looks like you're stuck in a similar place to me. Did you ever figure it out?

It looks like you're stuck in a similar place to me. Did you ever figure it out?

I just seen another problem like this. Not sure how to progress it. I guess I could try disabling VT-x on my laptop and see if I can get it running. If you are using my templates then the answers are likely to be posted on that thread.

• 11 months later...

search for the thread "[How To] Install iAtkos v7 on VMware Workstation", it worked for me the first time without using vt-x, i just followed step by step and it worked flawlessly.

If you encounter trouble post the results here so I can try to help you.

• 1 month later...
search for the thread "[How To] Install iAtkos v7 on VMware Workstation", it worked for me the first time without using vt-x, i just followed step by step and it worked flawlessly.

If you encounter trouble post the results here so I can try to help you.

Hi ArgVega, I tried following the directions in that post the best I could, but it didn't work. Would you mind telling me more about your setup? What version if iAtkos did you use? Do you know if VMWare Server will work?

My CPU doesn't have VT, but I'm hoping I will find some way to get Mac OS working on my PC.

Hi ArgVega, I tried following the directions in that post the best I could, but it didn't work. Would you mind telling me more about your setup? What version if iAtkos did you use? Do you know if VMWare Server will work?

My CPU doesn't have VT, but I'm hoping I will find some way to get Mac OS working on my PC.

I sucessfully used the iATKOS v7, but now I have SL on my laptop using Zenith's tutorial:

My Setup:

Snow Leopard 10.6.6

Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 (no VT-x)

2GB Hard Drive

Maybe post your vmx so I can check it out.

I sucessfully used the iATKOS v7, but now I have SL on my laptop using Zenith's tutorial:

My Setup:

Snow Leopard 10.6.6

Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 (no VT-x)

2GB Hard Drive

Maybe post your vmx so I can check it out.

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm still hoping I will see Mac OS running on my laptop soon. :)

iATKOS v7 is the one I downloaded and tried (not much luck). I've read differing recommendations about if the VMWare HDD should be IDE or SCSI, so I've experimented with both setups. When SCSI was enabled, I mostly tested with the Buslogic type adapter.

Below is the contents of my current vmx file. My trial of VMWare Workstation ended, so I'm just using the latest version of VMWare Server. My laptop is running an Intel Pentium Dual T3400 CPU, which doesn't support VT-X. I don't see why the VM's HDD size would make a difference, but I will note that I've selected 20GB as the HDD size in all my setups.

It seems kinda random sometimes about giving me a system config file 'com.apple.Boot.plist' not found message. I've gotten this before and did nothing other than hit the VM's reset button, and then it went away. I've never gotten to a GUI display. The furthest I've gotten was maybe like 1/3rd screen of console output ending w/ Starting Darwin. A few seconds later the VM just shuts down for some unknown reason.

vmx file:

.encoding = "windows-1252"

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "7"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

mks.enable3d = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge4.functions = "8"

pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge5.functions = "8"

pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge6.functions = "8"

pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"

pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"

pciBridge7.functions = "8"

vmci0.present = "TRUE"

nvram = "Mac OS X.nvram"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

ft.secondary0.enabled = "TRUE"

tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

powerType.powerOff = "soft"

powerType.powerOn = "hard"

powerType.suspend = "hard"

powerType.reset = "soft"

displayName = "Mac OS X"

extendedConfigFile = "Mac OS X.vmxf"

scsi0.present = "FALSE"

scsi0.sharedBus = "none"

scsi0.virtualDev = "buslogic"

memsize = "768"

scsi0:0.present = "FALSE"

scsi0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X.vmdk"

scsi0:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "C:\Virtual Machines\Mac OS X\iATKOS_v7.iso"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

ide1:0.allowGuestConnectionControl = "FALSE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.allowGuestConnectionControl = "FALSE"

ethernet0.features = "1"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

ethernet0.networkName = "HostOnly"

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

guestOS = "freebsd"

uuid.location = "56 4d aa 0a e8 1c da d3-9d 47 a1 3e d4 65 b8 84"

uuid.bios = "56 4d aa 0a e8 1c da d3-9d 47 a1 3e d4 65 b8 84"

vc.uuid = "52 44 cc 9d 83 e5 49 16-69 08 75 93 27 8f f3 f7"

paevm=”true”

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:65:b8:84"

debugStub.linuxOffsets = "0x0,0xffffffff,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x0"

scsi0:0.redo = ""

vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"

pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"

pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"

pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "-1"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"

vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "33"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

vmci0.id = "-731531132"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "Mac OS X.vmdk"

ide0:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"

ide0:0.redo = ""

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

Wheat boot options you booting with?

When I did iATKOS, I used:

busratio=10 cpus=1

Also you might be able to get a release candidate of VMware Workstation 7.1 beta which works fine.

hmm the vmx it seems fine, maybe just add:

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "TRUE"

maxvcpus = "1"

I tried those boot options. Also I saw another post that mentioned busratio=20, so I tried that as well. I added the vmx options you listed, but still haven't gotten it to work. Bummer. :P

I will add though that I did manage to get it to show a GUI window that just had a gray background and a picture of an apple logo. It shows that for a few seconds sometimes and then the VM shuts down. It doesn't show it every time, but using the default boot options seems to cause it to show up.

Thanks for the advice and tip with VM Workstation 7.1. I'm downloading that now to try. Maybe I will have luck with it. :)