Leopard in VMWare without Intel VT?

42 posts in this topic

Wheat boot options you booting with?

When I did iATKOS, I used:

busratio=10 cpus=1

Also you might be able to get a release candidate of VMware Workstation 7.1 beta which works fine.

hmm the vmx it seems fine, maybe just add:

ich7m.present = "TRUE"

smc.present = "TRUE"

maxvcpus = "1"

It worked using VMWare Workstation 7.1! Installing now :P

Only weird thing was the paevm setting in the vmx file needed to be changed to:

paevm = TRUE

instead of: paevm="true"

Not sure what the deal is with that, but I'm just happy it seems to be working. My first boot attempt worked and I used the same settings as you: busratio=10 cpus=1

Thanks a lot for your help ArgVega!

Hmmm, damn.

It took forever to install. I ran out to do errands while it did its thing.

Got back and VMWare reported that the guest shutdown. When Mac OS tries to boot, it fails and gives the same shutdown message. Tried busratio=10 cpus=1 also.

I guess I'll have to search around for an answer. If you happen to have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

Hmmm, damn.

It took forever to install. I ran out to do errands while it did its thing.

Got back and VMWare reported that the guest shutdown. When Mac OS tries to boot, it fails and gives the same shutdown message. Tried busratio=10 cpus=1 also.

I guess I'll have to search around for an answer. If you happen to have any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

In the topic I posted there is Zeniths guide, you are supposed to install w/ patches and cuxtomizations. Refer to the guide and you should be fine.

In the topic I posted there is Zeniths guide, you are supposed to install w/ patches and cuxtomizations. Refer to the guide and you should be fine.

Nice, it worked! :) I somehow overlooked the Customize button on the first run through. The drivers / patches got things going.

Thanks for your help!

Nice, it worked! ;) I somehow overlooked the Customize button on the first run through. The drivers / patches got things going.

Thanks for your help!

No problem, mate. If you are looking to run SL there is another of Zeniths guides that will allow you to do so, I can help troubleshoot if you have any problems. Let me know if you want to try.

I have an Intel Core Duo - so no VT for me.

Is there any way that I can get leopard going inside a vm?

I have tried a few, but they all (I think) cause VMWare to say that the guest OS had a kernel stack fault and asks me if I want to reset it.

I have even tried using -legacy (unsure if tried on all).

In my possession I have: XxX 10.5.6, Kalyway 10.5.2, Jas 10.5(.4?), Leo4All 10.5.2

I have XxX 10.5.6 installed and running 97% well (non-VMWare install - I select it from ntldr)

I have VMWare Workstation 6.5.1. The reason I want to get OSX working in VMWare is because I'm having a crash on a certain app which only occurs on the native install (I believe it to be due to the graphics drivers)

I managed to get iATKOS 7 working, which I believe contains Leopard 10.5.7 on my CPU in VMWare, and I don't have VT either. I'm not sure what other Mac OS distros will work. I'm using the VMWare 7.1 release candidate (search Google and it was easy to find).

For install directions, I mainly did what was mentioned on: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=198448

Note: I haven't yet gotten my networking or accelerated video drivers working, but I haven't really tried yet either.

• 2 weeks later...

ArgVega,

I'm curious. Does Leopard run at a decent speed on your PC? It's crazy slow on mine. 10+ minutes to bootup. This last time I just end-tasked VMWare. I'm not sure if I should just try and install it outside of VMWare.

Hmmm it runs at very acceptable speeds.

Post your setup, and I will look.

My recommended setup is:

2gb RAM (if you have 8, give it 4)

2 Cores (also depends on the speed of your processor)

VMware tools

Zeniths Video driver

Zeniths Audio driver

Here are PCWiz speed up tips:

Here are some tips to help you speed up Mac OS x86 in VMware:

• Store the virtual machine in a hard drive/partition separate from where Windows is installed
  • Set the guestOS line in the VMX file to guestOS=darwin
  • Disable all serial, parallel, and floppy controllers in VMware BIOS (part of installation procedure above)
  • If it exists, delete the AppleTPMACPI.kext file in System/Library/Extensions
  • Disable Dock Magnification
  • Try this (apparently it speeds up the system): type in platform=X86PC at boot prompt

How to speed up OS X booting:

• Instead of turning off the VM when you're done, click the Pause button to save the state
  • Then, when you want it back on, launch VMware and click the Start/Play button and it will instantly restore your state in about 10-20 seconds.

Hmmm it runs at very acceptable speeds.

Post your setup, and I will look.

My recommended setup is:

2gb RAM (if you have 8, give it 4)

2 Cores (also depends on the speed of your processor)

VMware tools

Zeniths Video driver

Zeniths Audio driver

Here are PCWiz speed up tips:

Here are some tips to help you speed up Mac OS x86 in VMware:

• Store the virtual machine in a hard drive/partition separate from where Windows is installed
  • Set the guestOS line in the VMX file to guestOS=darwin
  • Disable all serial, parallel, and floppy controllers in VMware BIOS (part of installation procedure above)
  • If it exists, delete the AppleTPMACPI.kext file in System/Library/Extensions
  • Disable Dock Magnification
  • Try this (apparently it speeds up the system): type in platform=X86PC at boot prompt

How to speed up OS X booting:

• Instead of turning off the VM when you're done, click the Pause button to save the state
  • Then, when you want it back on, launch VMware and click the Start/Play button and it will instantly restore your state in about 10-20 seconds.

Awesome. Thanks for all the tips, I'll give them a try. I wasn't too hopeful so I deleted my VM, but I can make a new one. I'll post again when its setup to let you know how it works.

Maybe it's just the bootup time that was crazy long. The suspend / resume setup is a good idea.

My boot time in Snow Leopard is Alot faster, it takes about 1-2 mins max. I remember the Leopard on mine took like 5-6 mins.

Why don't you try Snow Leopard?

I asked in another thread about if Mac OSX would work in VMWare on a PC without Intel VT. I was told Leopard would work, but not Snow Leopard. Since you said you don't have VT, I take it that previous info I got was wrong?

I'm actually really new to Mac OS. I'm not even sure what the difference is. I suppose going with the latest version seems good tho.

They aren't too different at all. I for one have noticed that Snow Leopard runs alot smoother and with less glitches. I think all you need is a Intel CPU.

I have a Core 2 Duo, with no VT-x and it runs perfectly fine, I have updated up to 10.6.3 with no problems either. Snow Leopard isn't too different, but like I said it runs smoother for me.

Create a iATKOS vm again and once you are done I will send you my vmx file to use.

Then use this thread to complete setup.

SnowKitty running on VMware Workstation, Lo & Behold: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189969

All it requires is adding your leopard hard drive to my vmx as the primary, and adding a second vm scsi hard drive to install Snow Leopard on, its very easy to follow. Let me know if you have any questions, I can help, we can msn if you need alot of help.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you guys figure out what was slowing down tiredtom's setup? I'm in a similar situation, core 2 duo 7400 with no vtx. I followed your instructions to install leopard and then snow leopard. It seems to run just fine on my ubuntu host. It is really quite slow though. If you've got any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I've also had trouble getting the network up in SL, no interface shows up in the network tool in SL. Is there an extra kext I need to use the vmware virtual bridged device?

Thanks

Did you guys figure out what was slowing down tiredtom's setup? I'm in a similar situation, core 2 duo 7400 with no vtx. I followed your instructions to install leopard and then snow leopard. It seems to run just fine on my ubuntu host. It is really quite slow though. If you've got any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I've also had trouble getting the network up in SL, no interface shows up in the network tool in SL. Is there an extra kext I need to use the vmware virtual bridged device?

Thanks

I never figured out a way to fix the speed. The suspending / restoring the VM state to avoid normal bootup seemed good though.

I built a new PC today that has VT, so I probably wont be looking into the non-VT issues anymore. Good luck tho.

I never figured out a way to fix the speed. The suspending / restoring the VM state to avoid normal bootup seemed good though.

I built a new PC today that has VT, so I probably wont be looking into the non-VT issues anymore. Good luck tho.

Thanks.

Will you respond and let us know what kind of speed increase you experience?

I did notice a small speed increase when I installed Vmware tools. ( I think )

For the record, I have been running the core 2 duo 7400 which has no VT.

Yesterday I bought the Core 2 Duo 8400 which has VT.

I dropped it in to my machine and booted the same VM I've been messing with.

As I'm sure most of you are aware the performance difference was amazing.

My VM now feels like a local install of SL.

• 2 months later...
For the record, I have been running the core 2 duo 7400 which has no VT.

Yesterday I bought the Core 2 Duo 8400 which has VT.

I dropped it in to my machine and booted the same VM I've been messing with.

As I'm sure most of you are aware the performance difference was amazing.

My VM now feels like a local install of SL.

I have been really struggling to get 10.6 on my non VT-x notebook. Has anybody been able to successfully do this. I tried most recently the iAtkos v7 in VMWare.... but many others as well. Thanks.