Penta (5) Boot

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should i try and Penta Boot

• Yes that is a great idea
    • No You're a dumbass

14 posts in this topic

I just ordered a 320gig hard drive for my laptop. I would love to penta boot it. OSx10.5.x, Ubuntu, XP, Vista, Windows 7 Beta. Im planing on doing a fresh install of each.

I want to make 5 40Gig partitions and have the rest leftover as a data file. Is that possible?

what would be the best order to install the os's in?

what boot loader should i use?

any guides around for this?

thanks

I just ordered a 320gig hard drive for my laptop. I would love to penta boot it. OSx10.5.x, Ubuntu, XP, Vista, Windows 7 Beta. Im planing on doing a fresh install of each.

I want to make 5 40Gig partitions and have the rest leftover as a data file. Is that possible?

thanks

You could do it. Chameleon should work fine. I would recommend just picking one version of windows. If all your hardware supports Windows 7 I recommend that, if not, go with XP. All three windows is nice for bragging rights, but in all reality, a complete waste of HDD space.

thanks

Probably a bit over the top with all the windows distributions. Vista and 7 are similar enough that you can just have 7 for the "new" windows and you can use XP as your "stable" windows if you're worried about that, but honestly what would be the point of 3 different windows distributions, that would be like putting tiger and leopard on the same machine...

Edit: Also it would be "You're a dumbass" for your survey, not "your."

. All three windows is nice for bragging rights, but in all reality, a complete waste of HDD space.

I have 2 other computers that I store anything of substance on. This is my tablet that I use for when im away from home.

I am working on a degree in PC support and Administration and would love to be able to do on hands support with people by having all 5 major OS's on the GO.

Edit: Also it would be "You're a dumbass" for your survey, not "your."

guess I'm a dumbass.

dont ask people what they think, just go with the flow and the project that interests you. I got on my macbook aluminum with leo, snow leo, vista 64, xp and kubuntu on a momentus 500 gig 7200 with refit and in my vmware fusion i got win 98, xp, vista, 2 versions of windows 7, tiger, leopard, leopard server, ubuntu and solaris its fu*$?&?&* great i love it, just plan your project and never mind the other a holes that might have a negative comment good luck with your project

why would your run xp, vista and 7? I could see running xp or vista with 7. I guess

Though 7 is a beta and will have to be reinstalled soon. Pointless to waste time on it. At least wait for RC in a few weeks taht will run for about a year for free/legal/updates.

Vista is better than XP and runs just as well. If you have 2gb of ram.

why would your run xp, vista and 7? I could see running xp or vista with 7. I guess

Though 7 is a beta and will have to be reinstalled soon. Pointless to waste time on it. At least wait for RC in a few weeks taht will run for about a year for free/legal/updates.

I actually have 3 gigs, kinda pointess because only 2 gigs of it run in dual channel but its nice to have. i use vista everyday, but have been playing with windows 7 alot. I am going into school for PC support so having multiple operating systems is going to be benifitial to me. I feel like i need xp becase its still so widley used.

I agree that having 7's current release is pointless becase it will only work for a few more months.

I Deffenatly want OSX, VISTA, Ubuntu so i can have the current top 3 OS's

Actually, I disagree with that statement. I cannot run Sheepshaver or Basilisk on Vista, and it does take up way too much RAM and other sys resources. Also, the UI is confusing.

I personally think that having a penta boot is an interesting project.

But next time (if there is one), just go with a larger HD.

Well..... let´s see if my 2 cents helps.

You must think on windows limitations, it can´t "see" any partition above the fourth and it wouldn´t boot aswell if it´s installed above that number. no matter if disk is MBR or GPT.

If it´s GPT, the order should be:

OSX, Windows seven,Windows vista, XP.... oooopppsssss, it´s a GPT disk, last partition is not fourth, is fith, as you must count the EFI partition.

When you do a GPT partition type, first partition is format as Macos journaled, second/third/fourth as Fat 32 so the system will create a hibrid partition scheme GPT/MBR. (Without count EFI partition, wich is Fat32), later you can format as NTFS or whatever you may need to install windows/linux

BUT

xp will refuse to boot if installed onto second (3rd counting EFI) partition, just vista or seven will do. So XP should go on third partition (4th).

Windows can´t boot over 4th partition cause it can´t mount itself.

The GPT is not nice for mutibooting more than two windows systems.

Remember, first partition is EFI and second is for OSX, that just let you install 2 windows systems, not three.

Let´s think on MBR partition scheme:

Here you can install like this:

Xp, VIsta, Seven,Linux,Osx,data.

BUT (again)

The data and osx partition will not be "seen" by windows systems as they are over the 4th partition again,.

and now comes the funny thing:

An unmodified Windows disk will not allow you to install onto a usb disk, you have to modify it and add "special drivers" to install disk in order to let you install.

For windows xp this is the guide:

http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8

But what about windows vista and windows seven? I have been looking the way to hack the installer, but i was not able to find anything, have anyone of you found the way? Please, share. :rolleyes:

I´m going to give yo a dumbass vote just cause you haven´t try anything, wich is the funny and insteresting thing, if you post just a "will be nice to?" thread, you are asking for the dumbass vote.

I can help looking for solutions and trying things on this multiboot thingy, cause i have already do the above and i have this:

A 16gb pendrive with:

MBR partition scheme

Windows Xp bartpe (for repairing DSDT and solve the clusters and header error) with hfs+ access with transmac to copy the DSDT.aml fixed file to osx partitions.

Linux live

Osx Live

Retail installer

A 80 GB usb disk with:

GPT partition Scheme

Iatkos V5i

Retail 10.5.6

Windows XP (not bartpe)

Storage for osx systems.

We have to find the way to install windows seven and vista (i hate this one) onto usb disks, then will be easier to get the penta boot using mbr partition scheme.

Let´s comment the how to´s, will be nice to break some statements. :D

pere, thank-you very much. I would be happy to try but if its gona cause me problems I can take a few of the partitions away.

So to make it easy on me I could just run Vista, Ubuntu, OSX, data. and run some virtual machines for xp and 7.