Frustrated and discouraged New Screen captures of Kernel panics

ashman1970

14 posts in this topic

I have spent the last 10 days trying to build a stable hackintosh desktop, something I thought would be easier then turning my Dell Lattitude D630 into a hackintosh. I bought a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3LR because I read it was very compatible for building a hackintosh, an Intel C2D E7200 CPU, Crucial memory etc. First I installed iDeneb 10.5.5 and it seemed fine, however I installed office 2008, iLife 09 and some other software installed I started experiencing random kernel panics, I would open time machine preferences and it would crash, frustrating. After trying to troubleshoot this for days, I redid the install with iDeneb 10.5.6 and it also seemed ok but then it too started crashing. I then installed Leo4all 10.5.6 in hopes that I would be more stable, but after I installed office 2008 it started crashing too.I don't know what to do, I am close to giving up on this project. I believe that bios of this board is F10, I am always using the vanilla kernel, I have a netgear gigabit network card and an Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512MB video card, one SATA hard drive and one IDE hard drive for time machine backups. Can anyone give some suggestions as what I can try? I do know that these things take time and patience, I work in IT so I know this. I am just frustrated that OS X seems to be so unstable for some reason and I think it has to do with the hardware but what, could my RAM be the issue?

Thanks

AM

I have spent the last 10 days trying to build a stable hackintosh desktop, something I thought would be easier then turning my Dell Lattitude D630 into a hackintosh. I bought a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3LR because I read it was very compatible for building a hackintosh, an Intel C2D E7200 CPU, Crucial memory etc. First I installed iDeneb 10.5.5 and it seemed fine, however I installed office 2008, iLife 09 and some other software installed I started experiencing random kernel panics, I would open time machine preferences and it would crash, frustrating. After trying to troubleshoot this for days, I redid the install with iDeneb 10.5.6 and it also seemed ok but then it too started crashing. I then installed Leo4all 10.5.6 in hopes that I would be more stable, but after I installed office 2008 it started crashing too.I don't know what to do, I am close to giving up on this project. I believe that bios of this board is F10, I am always using the vanilla kernel, I have a netgear gigabit network card and an Nvidia Geforce 8800GT 512MB video card, one SATA hard drive and one IDE hard drive for time machine backups. Can anyone give some suggestions as what I can try? I do know that these things take time and patience, I work in IT so I know this. I am just frustrated that OS X seems to be so unstable for some reason and I think it has to do with the hardware but what, could my RAM be the issue?

Thanks

AM

Do yo have more than 4 gigs of ram ? If so at boot press f8 at darwin boot and type maxmem=2048 and see if yo get panics. Also to see what panics yor getting type debug=0x100

Because my hardware is supposedly so compatible, I don't select much, vanilla kernel so nothing selected there, ICH10 chipset, nvdia inject for my 8800GT, and ALC888 drivers for sound, everything else is either default or nothing more is selected, oh yeah and a boot loader. I have 2x2G sticks of crucial memory, so no more then 4G of ram. I am running on a 10.5.6 disc now.

AM

Because my hardware is supposedly so compatible, I don't select much, vanilla kernel so nothing selected there, ICH10 chipset, nvdia inject for my 8800GT, and ALC888 drivers for sound, everything else is either default or nothing more is selected, oh yeah and a boot loader. I have 2x2G sticks of crucial memory, so no more then 4G of ram. I am running on a 10.5.6 disc now.

AM

Your problem may be the ram. There is a known issues for over 3 gigs of ram and certain programs accessing 64bits then crashing. Boot using maxmem=2048 and see if it still crashes

Your problem may be the ram. There is a known issues for over 3 gigs of ram and certain programs accessing 64bits then crashing. Boot using maxmem=2048 and see if it still crashes

that is not the problem ... 3gb of ram is well supported by a 32 bit enviroment....the problem is when you use over 4gbs of ram

boot with debug=0x100 flag and post here a picture of your kernel panic.

AM

The key is the 4gb of ram try the attached .kext that fixes the JmicronATA controller so it does not cause panics with that much ram installed. If you need detailed instructions on how to install properly post back and we can tell you how to do it.

kext_for_JMicron_ATA.zip

Well I discovered there was an outstanding update for Microsoft Office 2008, not SP1, but one in addition to that, about 103MB so I installed that and afterwards Entourage crashed, but not the mac, which was good. So far so good, no crashes or kernel panics tonight, lets see how things go. Thanks for everyone's help and support. I'll keep that Jmicron kext in mind.

Ok so I added the JMicron kext somone graciously posted in this thread, and I am still getting kernel panics, here are my two most recent. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to make my hackintosh stable ? I do have an IDE hard drive in my system that I use for time machine backups, the OS is installed on a SATA drive, so I could always unplug or pull the IDE drive if anyone thinks that might be causing or contributing to the crashes.

498892968_3j547-M.jpg

498893087_cFq4H-M.jpg

Ok so I added the JMicron kext somone graciously posted in this thread, and I am still getting kernel panics, here are my two most recent. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to make my hackintosh stable ? I do have an IDE hard drive in my system that I use for time machine backups, the OS is installed on a SATA drive, so I could always unplug or pull the IDE drive if anyone thinks that might be causing or contributing to the crashes.

Oh that is definitely what is causing the crashes you can see JmicronATA loaded in both back traces. Did you remove/force reloading of the caches after install? If not then it is still using the old .kext and if you did then you may want to try this one here I found at the JMicron ftp site in my quest to get esata working. I have run it here for a day no kernel panics so far even under 100% load using mprime which used to crash the Apple driver within seconds.

Edit: Just found this one here you may want to try as well.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=127611&hl=

JMicronATADriver.dmg

How do you force/remove loading of the caches?

AM

Open Terminal (in the Applications -> Utilities folder) then type in then enter key sudo -s type in your password hit enter key again. Now you are root user so type in then hit enter key after each line below.

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/Caches
rm -r /System/Library/Caches
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

When done this reboot when you start posting just as the hard drive starts getting accessed hit the F8 key to get to the darwin boot loader where you use the hit any key option to go to the command line once there type in then hit enter key -f you will then see it reloading/caching every .kext on the system where it rebuilds the caches.

How do you force/remove loading of the caches?

AM

The touch command will force rebuilding though I prefer MacUser2525's way as its pretty much full proof. I generally do both.

touch /System/Library/Extensions

rm -Rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext