Best PC configuration for OSX86

donperro

16 posts in this topic

I would like to have Windows and OSX running my machine. I know that bootcamp will allow you do this if you have a Mac. However, I am a PC user. By reading the forums I found many config options for PC's but there are always issues with something (audio, wireless, usb, etc).

Is there a "perfect" PC components combination (i.e. motherboard model, processor type, etc.) that allows to do this?

selling a good and cheap system just for german users ... if you´re interested pm me

asus case (barebone - looks sexy)

asus board 915GL chipset

intel onboard gfx fully supported

celeron 2,93MHZ 64bit

512 mb twinmos ram ddr 400

80 gb sata-seagate drive

onboard sound works like a charm

onboard networking fully working

dvd-rom

board and cpu got 2 years warrantie (bill included)

300 euro + shipping

I 'm able to record via MIC and LINE IN with my 915GL board ALC655 Audio.. Fully fuctioning... I plugged my Playstation 2 in line in and I could hear it and monitor it and of course record it to Garage Band.. Same with MIC, also works on iChat.. I had the Asrock 915GL before my MSI and I can tell you from fact that the MSI is the most compatible compare with Asrock for Hackintosh..

As far as I know - forget about audio in - no one has it working.

My audio line in works as well!! although the stock has dried up for the asrock p4dual-915gl in the USA I can get up to 10 of them in london when i go there in a week or so.

• 3 months later...

my Current PC has the following pieces

Motherboard Asus P4S8X-X

Video Card nvidia geforce fx 5200 128MB

1,25 gb ram

240 gb on hard drives (80/160 each)

dvd and cd burner (separate)

I try to test MAC intel but throws me a forbidden sign on the apple logo, and the dvd ids patched...

Do you need more info to know what is wrong?

MotherBoard:

(ATX) Intel (D945GNTLKR, LA D945GNTLKR) http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/nt/nt_available.htm

(MicroATX) Intel (D945GTPLKR) http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/tp/tp_available.htm

(MicroBTX) Intel (D945GCZLKR, D945GCZLK)

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/cz/cz_available.htm

Processor: PentiumD 900 Series

Graphics Card: Intel GMA950 (Integrated)

Sound Card: SigmaTel 9220 (Integrated)

Hard Disk: Maxtor Or Seagate Are The Bests (At Least Of 7200 RPM)

DVD Drive: I've Got A LG 4167B (DVD, +-DL, +-R, +-RW, DVD RAM)

If you build an almost exact replica of the developer's machine, you'll get 100% compatibility. That's what my desktop machine is:

MOTHERBOARD: INTEL D915GLVGL P4 S775

CPU: Intel P4 S775 630HT 3.0GHz FSB800 2MB Cache

MEMORY: DDR400 1GB (2x512) CORSAIR Value Select - VS1GBKIT400

VIDEOCARD: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 224MB Shared memory

HARDDRIVE: ATA 300GB WESTERN DIGITAL - 8MB

DVD-ROM: LG GSA 4167B Dual Layer

MONITOR: DELL FP2001 LCD 20.1" 1600x1200 native resolution DVI input

Everything works, including audio in. I connected iSight with a third-party firewire PCI card (Orange Link) and works perfectly. No delays, no artifacts, nothing. Plain jane.

Obviously *not* the fastest machine around, but for my use, it works great: iTunes, iPhoto, XCode, iMovie, etc. I only run Universal binaries to maximize performance, otherwise I use Windoze for Photoshop/Office etc.

If I ever build another machine, it will be 100% Core Duo. Any recommendations?

If you build an almost exact replica of the developer's machine, you'll get 100% compatibility. That's what my desktop machine is:

MOTHERBOARD: INTEL D915GLVGL P4 S775

CPU: Intel P4 S775 630HT 3.0GHz FSB800 2MB Cache

MEMORY: DDR400 1GB (2x512) CORSAIR Value Select - VS1GBKIT400

VIDEOCARD: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 224MB Shared memory

HARDDRIVE: ATA 300GB WESTERN DIGITAL - 8MB

DVD-ROM: LG GSA 4167B Dual Layer

MONITOR: DELL FP2001 LCD 20.1" 1600x1200 native resolution DVI input

Everything works, including audio in. I connected iSight with a third-party firewire PCI card (Orange Link) and works perfectly. No delays, no artifacts, nothing. Plain jane.

Obviously *not* the fastest machine around, but for my use, it works great: iTunes, iPhoto, XCode, iMovie, etc. I only run Universal binaries to maximize performance, otherwise I use Windoze for Photoshop/Office etc.

If I ever build another machine, it will be 100% Core Duo. Any recommendations?

but the developers machine is so old. it uses 915 chipset.

actual macmini and macbook uses 945G chipset, all motherboards with 945g work well 96%-99% compatibility

remember that macmini and macbook doesn't use off the shelf motherboards, so it will be very hard to obtain 100%. developer's machine does (kinda) and so very easy to get the appropriate motherboard.

old does not necessarily mean useless. depends on your use. old might mean slower, but then again, depends on your use.

most people will be happy with a "slow" but 100% compatible machine.

my hardware is better than a macmini, that's for sure... probably except for cpu (Core Duo vs. P4HT). I can always upgrade my video to ATI X1600 or something. Try doing that to your MacBook or Macmini!