iPC 10.5.6 on Intel D945GCLF2 hackintosh with Sleep. iPC 10.5.6 ppf5

analographi

23 posts in this topic

Here is how I did it with the iPC 10.5.6 Distro. (Important! FINAL Edition PPF5!!)

Boot from the iPC DVD

When asked for Location go to Disk Utility (Menu Bar)

Select you Drive from the list and click on the partitions tab

create your Partition(s) OSx Journaled and click on the option button - select GUID

Apply and exit

Customize, select these options only:

9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel,

Video Driver: Intel GMA950

Chipset Driver: Intel ICHx Driver

Audio Driver, Azalia (some people were fine with ALC662)

EthernetDriver: Realtec 1000

Fixes and patches:

Shutdown/restart fix

Patch DSDT

AppleSMBIOS EFI

Seatbelt (to fix problems with mounting some DMGs)

Applications:

OSx86 Utility

NTFS 3-G +MacFuse

Hit done, skip the DVD check,

Wait,

After you click Install, mine took only 10 minutes, don't stray far away, you must be at the computer when install calls for reboot. Remember don't click restart, let the clock wind down. When rebooting, at the "Intel" splash, hit F2 to enter bios.

Click over to boot menu and make sure the hard drive is on top of the boot list. Save and confirm by pressing Y. Upon reboot, after Intel screen, you have a countdown for boot options.

Hit F8. The installed hard drive should be highlighted. Hit -f to load Kernel extensions and -v for verbose as previously noted. It's important, but only has to be done once.

Wait for it to start up

Setup the OS X stuff (language, personal details) and Boot into OS X

Lets fix the "no boot device" error:

In OS X go to "applications" -> "OSx86 Utitlities" Start the OSx86 Utility

Click on Install EFI / Run FDISK

Select your OS Partition

Chose EFI To install: Chameleon EFI

Click Install EFI

Click OK, enter password click OK

Remove the DVD from the Drive and restart

Sleep works!

Display Resolutions can be selected up to 1600x1200 (has been reported see other post)

As for updates, somebody updated all apps through Apple, (QT, iTunes, etc.) without issue. As for updating to 10.5.7 when it comes around, use the OSX86 tools for backing up kernels and kexts, update from Apple, then restore kernels and kexts, (Don't restart in between these operations!) should make the process painless, we'll see.

This post has been updated with all the informations given by other users bellow, especially "thefaf". Thank you Guys!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Props go to the OP for this guide and PCwiz for the iPC distro and osx86 Tools. After some trial and error, here is what I did to come up with all functions, including sleep, restart, audio out, and adjustable display resolution with the Dual Core Intel Atom board and iPC FINAL.

First I updated the BIOS to v.150 using the .ISO file from Intel's site, burnt to a CD using Disk Utility (Mac) or any of the well known Windows apps.

Under Customize:

9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel, NOT 9.3.0 Sleep

Audio Driver, Azalia (I couldn't get ALC662 to work)

Wireless Driver: Ralink RT 2500 USB for my 802.11g Mac compatible stick. Note that upon first start-up, you may get a security warning, if so, click fix. Of course, if you have another wireless networking USB or PCI card, choose the appropriate driver.

All other customize options on original post work.

After you click Install, mine took only 10 minutes, don't stray far away, you must be at the computer when install calls for reboot. Remember don't click restart, let the clock wind down. When rebooting, at the "Intel" splash, hit F2 to enter bios. Click over to boot menu and make sure the hard drive is on top of the boot list. Save and confirm by pressing Y. Upon reboot, after Intel screen, you have a countdown for boot options. Hit F8. The installed hard drive should be highlighted. Hit -f to load Kernel extensions and -v for verbose as previously noted. It's important, but only has to be done once.

From here on, everything on the original post worked for me with the added note that there will be a warning about installing Chameleon on the boot volume. Ignore it and proceed.

I have a 19" widescreen monitor with 1440x900 res, and it's supported with QE/CI. The only thing not working is Mike input, I use a Griffin USB iMic instead.

As for updates, I updated all apps through Apple, (QT, iTunes, etc.) without issue. As for updating to 10.5.7 when it comes around, use the OSX86 tools for backing up kernels and kexts, update from Apple, then restore kernels and kexts, (Don't restart in between these operations!) should make the process painless, we'll see. I did a second install on another small partition to test software update before doing it for real on the main install.

Total cost with all new parts, Rosewill R103A ATX mid tower with 350W P/S, Asus IDE DVD writer, 2GB Kingston DDR2/667, WD 320GB SATA HD, and D945GCLF2 was $222.94. It's a huge step above my 700MHz G4 iMac.

Hope this helps someone.

PLEASE REFER TO THE PREVIOUS POSTS - THEY ARE WELL THOUGHT OUT, PRESENTED and most important THEY WORK!

Thanks everyone for the assistance. I have probably 25 bookmarks on the subject but the two posted in this thread were by far the most helpful!

I have been a Mac user for years (SE, Quadra 650, Sawtooth G4) and still use a LaserWriter 360...cost has been a problem in updating my old mac though...

So, the build:

Rosewill R363-M-BK Micro ATX Black Ultra High Gloss Finished Computer Case with 400W ATX 2.2 12V Power Supply - 49.99

Kingston 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory - From Previous Computer

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - 59.99

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30 - 22.99

Intel D945GCLF2 Essential Series 945GC Express Chipset Atom Processor 45nm Mini-ITX Desktop Motherboard - 74.99

Parts came from a variety of vendors (all on sale, all free shipping - I can't speak enough to the value of free shipping...it would have added 20% - 25% to the cost. As the focus was a budget build this was important)

Total cost of build - $212.96 ;)

I had been considering using a mini ITX case (the Apex MI-100 is much talked about in relation to this processor) but hear it is very 'tight'. This case actually worked out well as I pulled the hard drive from my Sawtooth and slapped it in the case as well...instant and easy access to all my old files. Plenty of space to work in, quiet and runs cool.

------------

The install went pretty much as advertised in the previous posts -

I did the BIOS update - not sure if necessary but it was a simple process.

I did use the 9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel, and sleep/wake work just fine.

The AudioDriver (ALC662) seemed to work fine for me. The only problem with Audio seemed to be that the front speakers on the box do not work. The rear audio out from the motherboard is fine and works well with some old satellite speakers I had laying around.

All display resolutions work well and am currently set @ 1600 x 1200 on an old Samtron monitor.

Install of iLife along with all updates seem to work fine.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, Can anyone help me out...

The install was perfect. The only thing is the S-Video to TV. As soon as i plug my S-Video to my TV i get a blue screen. I see the loading, the apple logo but then Blue screen.

Anyone knows how to help me out???

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
anyone try the 10.5.7 update with this build yet?

It kernel panics... when "hyper-threading" in bios is on.

But after that it doesn't contineu to boot "ms dns responder" error

haven't tried new bios "0171" yet...

No idea, what it can be...

retail install + chameleon v2rc1 + dsdt.aml + dsmos.kext + openhaltrestart

It kernel panics... when "hyper-threading" in bios is on.

But after that it doesn't contineu to boot "ms dns responder" error

haven't tried new bios "0171" yet...

No idea, what it can be...

retail install + chameleon v2rc1 + dsdt.aml + dsmos.kext + openhaltrestart

But:

Buildsmart has the board on his website, so there might be some "superb" help in future...

www.convertit2mac.com

re: the 0171 Bios update - I was looking at that as well...but there does not seem to be an .iso option on this one as there was for the last. Anyone have a preferred method or experience with the remaining? Could the Windows updater (.exe) be run through Wine?

SUCCESSFUL 10.5.7 UPGRADE!

OK, Here is a step-by-step tutorial to upgrade the Intel D945GCLF2 with onboard video to 10.5.7 from iPC 10.5.6. I am not sure if some of this is superfluous, or whether EVERYTHING still works, but here goes...

Backup your hard drive!

Be sure the DVD drive is at the top of the boot order in the BIOS.

Download the 10.5.7 Delta update from Apple's web site. I did not use "Software Update".

Open OSX86 Tools and back up the Voodoo kernel and System Extensions, just in case.

Insert the iPC 10.5.6 DVD in the disc drive but do not open it.

Run the 10.5.7 install package and let the computer restart.

Upon reboot, be sure to hit a key to load the iPC DVD.

From DVD, open Disk Utility and repair permissions on the iPC install partition. This is a good time to crack open a beverage and relax...

When that's done go through install options and select Customize. UNCHECK iPC Base System! Check only:

9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

Intel GMA950 Video

ALC662 Audio

10.5.5 Seatbelt.kext

Skip DVD check and install. This should only take a minute or two.

When computer restarts again, remove DVD, and hit F8 for boot options. Hit -f and -v to force load extensions and look for issues. I got 2 more reboots, I didn't flag for the second boot, and it loaded right up. I still have sound, GFX, ethernet, and all else seems well.

I haven't had USB 2.0 since the original iPC install and still don't. Just 1.1. Does anyone have a fix for that?

Mark

Thank You!! this helped me on my quest.. now running 10.5.7 on this board.. IPC 10.5.7

followed directions all except audio as i had vodooHDA audio installed and still works after upgrade..

this lil box is running great... power button sleep , wakes fine every time. built this pc for my father.. Thanks Peoples!

• 2 weeks later...
Props go to the OP for this guide and PCwiz for the iPC distro and osx86 Tools. After some trial and error, here is what I did to come up with all functions, including sleep, restart, audio out, and adjustable display resolution with the Dual Core Intel Atom board and iPC FINAL.

First I updated the BIOS to v.150 using the .ISO file from Intel's site, burnt to a CD using Disk Utility (Mac) or any of the well known Windows apps.

Under Customize:

9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel, NOT 9.3.0 Sleep

Audio Driver, Azalia (I couldn't get ALC662 to work)

Wireless Driver: Ralink RT 2500 USB for my 802.11g Mac compatible stick. Note that upon first start-up, you may get a security warning, if so, click fix. Of course, if you have another wireless networking USB or PCI card, choose the appropriate driver.

All other customize options on original post work.

After you click Install, mine took only 10 minutes, don't stray far away, you must be at the computer when install calls for reboot. Remember don't click restart, let the clock wind down. When rebooting, at the "Intel" splash, hit F2 to enter bios. Click over to boot menu and make sure the hard drive is on top of the boot list. Save and confirm by pressing Y. Upon reboot, after Intel screen, you have a countdown for boot options. Hit F8. The installed hard drive should be highlighted. Hit -f to load Kernel extensions and -v for verbose as previously noted. It's important, but only has to be done once.

From here on, everything on the original post worked for me with the added note that there will be a warning about installing Chameleon on the boot volume. Ignore it and proceed.

I have a 19" widescreen monitor with 1440x900 res, and it's supported with QE/CI. The only thing not working is Mike input, I use a Griffin USB iMic instead.

As for updates, I updated all apps through Apple, (QT, iTunes, etc.) without issue. As for updating to 10.5.7 when it comes around, use the OSX86 tools for backing up kernels and kexts, update from Apple, then restore kernels and kexts, (Don't restart in between these operations!) should make the process painless, we'll see. I did a second install on another small partition to test software update before doing it for real on the main install.

Total cost with all new parts, Rosewill R103A ATX mid tower with 350W P/S, Asus IDE DVD writer, 2GB Kingston DDR2/667, WD 320GB SATA HD, and D945GCLF2 was $222.94. It's a huge step above my 700MHz G4 iMac.

Hope this helps someone.

Greetings, at my wit's end with the audio issues on the D945GLCLF2 board. iPC has installed and is running flawlessly, however I've tried ALC662, Azalia, and numerous other tries from posts on this subject...no luck with audio at all. In SYSTEM PROFILER, Audio (built-in) is listing "Intel High Definition Audio" with Device ID 0X8086D604 // Audio ID=12 and is blank under "Available Devices". In SYSTEM PREF. i've never been able to get any device listing in output or input. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

OK, Here is a step-by-step tutorial to upgrade the Intel D945GCLF2 with onboard video to 10.5.7 from iPC 10.5.6. I am not sure if some of this is superfluous, or whether EVERYTHING still works, but here goes...

Backup your hard drive!

Download the 10.5.7 Delta update from Apple's web site. I did not use "Software Update".

Open OSX86 Tools and back up the Voodoo kernel and System Extensions, just in case.

From DVD, open Disk Utility and repair permissions on the iPC install partition. This is a good time to crack open a beverage and relax...

When that's done go through install options and select Customize. UNCHECK iPC Base System! Check only:

9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

Intel GMA950 Video

ALC662 Audio

10.5.5 Seatbelt.kext

When computer restarts again, remove DVD, and hit F8 for boot options. Hit -f and -v to force load extensions and look for issues. I got 2 more reboots, I didn't flag for the second boot, and it loaded right up. I still have sound, GFX, ethernet, and all else seems well.

I haven't had USB 2.0 since the original iPC install and still don't. Just 1.1. Does anyone have a fix for that?

Mark

Anyone successfully try this with 10.5.8? I have 10.5.6 currently working great but made the mistake of upgrading iTunes to 9.0 which now requires Safari 4.0.3 which requires OS X 10.5.8. Need to update OS X (I guess). Do I need to do 10.5.6 to 10.5.7 and then 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 or can I do a straight shot? I really hate to "brick" my machine since it is my only computer right now and I am pretty new at all of this hacking.

Thanks,

lidrummer

I have an ecs 945GCT currently running rock stable iPC 10.5.6 and have gone around and around for 6+ days trying to get SLeo on there.

I think my setup is probably now considered legacy. Yes, its low-end ICH7 no AHCI but its less than a year old!

The support and resources of the community are great but are focused around current hardware.

Oh well. Maybe we can form a low-end subgroup?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have this exact board and iPC 10.5.6 on DVD. Booted up on the DVD fine but I got this error in from the installer log:

"installing mac os x could not be completed"

It never even gets to the first step (which I believe is selecting the install partition). What is my next step? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

ps: it won't let me launch disk utility, system profiler, etc.... nothing from the menu... I'll post a log in a few minutes!

Installer_Log_25_2_2010.txt

Backup your hard drive!

9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

Intel GMA950 Video

ALC662 Audio

10.5.5 Seatbelt.kext

Mark

UPDATE FROM 10.5.6 to 10.5.8 SUCCESSFUL & WORKING ;)

Follow the steps above (thanks mate u r a fab!)

instead of 10.5.7 delta, i've clicked on software update and installed the combo 10.5.8 (yes from the apple software update!)

then the system will 'restart' (more of a log out) and will download/install (have a kitkat, it'll take a while)

then again just follow the normal steps as given by mark

IT WORKS!

Thank you guys :(

• 1 month later...
Upon reboot, after Intel screen, you have a countdown for boot options.

Hit F8. The installed hard drive should be highlighted. Hit -f to load Kernel extensions and -v for verbose as previously noted. It's important, but only has to be done once.

Sorry, but I can see "press any key .... F8" only if I boot from CD.

I'm not able to specify -f option during the first boot - it starts loading immediately.

Got a panic (contact Voodoo dev ... bla-bla ... err code 0x00000002) and some debug info

Specified everything mentioned above during install. Forced to use s-video, by the way.

No success (10th attempt and 3rd OS media) - thinking about mac mini $(

• 3 months later...