Windows 7 & Leopard multi-boot

5 posts in this topic

I have Windows Vista x64 and Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on my main hdd and dual-booted until the Windows 7 beta came along. I installed it on a separate hdd (as such, the previous dual-boot config remains untouched).

What I want to do is dual-boot Win 7 and Leopard, without tinkering with (or ruining) the previous config. Is it possible (thru EasyBCD or VistaBootPro) to make the OSX partition accessible even though the MBR for it is on the Vista partition? To clarify, I don't want to boot into Vista, just Leopard, so that when the beta expires, I can go back to dual-booting Vista & Leopard.

Previous Config:

Windows Vista (boot disk)

Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2)

Current:

Windows 7 (boot disk)

Windows Vista

Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2)

I have Windows Vista x64 and Kalyway 10.5.2 installed on my main hdd and dual-booted until the Windows 7 beta came along. I installed it on a separate hdd (as such, the previous dual-boot config remains untouched).

What I want to do is dual-boot Win 7 and Leopard, without tinkering with (or ruining) the previous config. Is it possible (thru EasyBCD or VistaBootPro) to make the OSX partition accessible even though the MBR for it is on the Vista partition? To clarify, I don't want to boot into Vista, just Leopard, so that when the beta expires, I can go back to dual-booting Vista & Leopard.

Previous Config:

Windows Vista (boot disk)

Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2)

Current:

Windows 7 (boot disk)

Windows Vista

Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2)

Is is possible with EasyBCD 1.7.2

If it sill does not appear in Vista's boot screen after a OSX boot item

has been created with EasyBCD, start from the Vista install

DVD and choose Repair.

Reboot.

It works well on my computer.

I have a funtioning OSX 10.5.6 and Win 7 on separate drives. In the past the computer would boot by default into OSX and to boot into Win 7 I would use F8 to select the Win 7drive. I have recently installed EasyBCD 1.7.2 which gives me the Win 7 bootloader on startup from where I can select which OS to boot.

Download EasyBCD and put into a Win accessible folder. Run the program in Win 7. From the Main Menu Select Add/Remove Entries on the left. In the Add and Entry area, select the Mac tab and in the Type pulldown select Generic x86 PC. In the Name box leave as default or change to whatever you want. Select Add Entry. This will now result in your computer booting into Win 7 by default, but you can chose OSX from the bootloader menu.

If you want to boot into OSX by default then at the Main Menu select Change Settings. In the Default OS pulldown at the top select whatever you called your OSX. You can also change the Bootloader Timeout (I use 10) Select Save Settings.

• 1 month later...

None of these work. I created a MAC boot item with EasyBCD, but while it would show up in the boot menu, selecting it gives me a message that the mac mbr file is missing or something.

The system was installed into the MBR on the Vista drive not the 7 drive.