Parallels 4 Installation 10.5.x Intel/AMD?

8 posts in this topic

So I noticed I couldnt install Parallels with my iPC 0SX86 10.5.6 install. I figured my laptop was just lacking the BIOS option to enable Hardware Virtualization. No matter, I figured out a way to get it to work and I assume this will work for ANYONE including AMD, please try it and let me know.

This is for Parallels version 4, and I have yet to actually RUN any VM's but I will update the thread after I do so. Regardless, it does get installed, and it does run, so I assume it will work.

Copy the Mounted Parallels Desktop 4 drive.

Paste to your Desktop

Right click the newly created DMG and click "Get Info"

Scroll to the bottom, click the lock

Hit the gear, "Apply to enclosed Items"

Close that Window

Open Pacifist

If you dont have Pacifist, why not?

Drag the newly created DMG into the Pacifist Window, you should see the contents of the installer.

Right click "Contents of Install.mpkg"

Click Install to default Location

Now what this does is "copy" the files to be installed normally to your directories.

Close Pacifist

Delete the created Parallels DMG.

Open the ORIGINAL Parallels DMG.

Run the Installer like normal.

See what happens is, Parallels no longer needs to check to make sure your hardware is compatible because it notices you already have it installed, so it must work with your machine. I will post up shortly about wether or not the VM mounts and works correctly.

This at least gets it installed.

UPDATE - 135AM

Program runs, but will not run a Machine because of virtualization. Looking into the Parallels Desktop program now to see if I can disable the hardware check.

hi Jobe!great job.thanks for the tip.any luck further?have u discover how to trick the app?

Still digging through the package to find where it is checking for the Processor. I am sure it is right in front of my face...getting installed was Wall #1, now Im at Wall #2. ;) In due time.

• 2 weeks later...

got it to install without the pacifist thing.

try this, copy both install.mpkg and install.app to your desktop (one of them may be hidden). right click install.mpkg and select show package contents, navigate to contents folder and you'll find a file called distribution.dist, open it on textedit ande delete this section:

/* Check hardware virtualization only during installation */
if((!system.files.fileExistsAtPath('/System/Library/Extensions/prl_hypervisor.kext/Contents/Info.plist')) && cpu_check != 0)
{
	my.result.type = 'Fatal';
	my.result.title = system.localizedStringWithFormat('HW_Virtualization_T');
	my.result.message = system.localizedStringWithFormat('HW_Virtualization_M');
	return false;
}

save it and run install.mpkg.

this will let you install, but still i got the hardware virtualization error.

Parallels4 works only with a CPU that supports Intel Virtualization Technology.

Giorgio

I'm running iAtkos 10.5.6 on a Dell Vostro 1500 with a Core 2 Duo T5470 processor. As far as I know, that does support Intel Virtualization Technology. However, I'm also getting the Virtualization error.

I'm running iAtkos 10.5.6 on a Dell Vostro 1500 with a Core 2 Duo T5470 processor. As far as I know, that does support Intel Virtualization Technology. However, I'm also getting the Virtualization error.

intel T5470 don't support Virtualization Technology (sorry)

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAEB

Giorgio

• 4 months later...

Any luck? My processor supports hardware virtualization too. I am able to install without any modifications, but when I start the virtual machine I get the error: "... cannot be started because hardware virtualization support is disabled on your Mac..."