G5 case conversion

gaving

11 posts in this topic

Been a long time lurker, thought I would show my G5 conversion thats almost finished.

I was going to ebay my old G5 Dual 2.0 but found it wouldn't start up anymore so I decided to gut it and try to install a new system inside. I wanted the new X58 system and couldn't find a M-ATX board at the time so I went with full ATX and cut out some of the back of the case and used the motherboard tray from my old Coolermaster case.

The parts used are Gigabyte EX58-Extreme mobo, Core i7 920 cpu, 6gb Corsair Dominator Tri-Channel ram, Asus 9800GTX+ TOP, a couple of Samsung Spinpoint F1 drives (1Tb each) in raid0, and Linksys 300n wireless card.

For cooling I am using the MCR220 radiator, MCP655 pump, MCRES Micro R2 reservoir, EK 9800GTX full cover GPU, EK Supreme CPU and the northbridge block that came with the motherboard, looped with 8/10mm tubing and compression fittings.

I originally purchased a Swiftech Apex Ultima kit but didn't end up using half of it. The Apogee GTZ block didn't come with the 1366 bracket and after several ignored emails to them asking to supply it I gave up and went with the EK Supreme, and the EK full cover for the GPU as I felt the memory was getting far too hot using the Swiftech MCW60 block. The whole point of me using watercooling is to keep the computer nice and cool without fans all over the place and if I were to have a fan blowing on the GPU I may as well have just stuck to using the half decent air cooler provided with the card.

The PSU is at the top of the case where the drives used to be, I plan to replace the temporary black card in the top section with aluminium.

post-298694-1235956097_thumb.jpg

The hard drive carrier is now at the bottom just in front of the radiator where the drives get plenty of cool air from the 120mm fans.

post-298694-1235956652_thumb.jpg

The reservoir has been screwed to the perspex baffle which makes it easy to fill/bleed. I will also create some kind of panel to cover the radiator/fans/hard drive area.

post-298694-1235956806_thumb.jpg

Still to do: Fabricate some panels for the PSU/DVD area and the radiator/fans area, front USB/Firewire/Headphone connections.

I currently have it overclocked at 3.8Ghz (190x20). I haven't had much luck getting to 200 bus just yet, need to play with the voltages in the bios a bit more. :(

Cinebench

Rendering (Single CPU): 4703 CB-CPU

Rendering (Multiple CPU): 20041 CB-CPU

Multiprocessor Speedup: 4.26

Shading (OpenGL Standard): 9297 CB-GFX

Xbench

post-298694-1235957303_thumb.jpg

Profile screens

post-298694-1235957244_thumb.jpg

loregori63: The existing motherboard standoffs in the case were no good for ATX, you could break them off and epoxy them in the right places for ATX or just go the easy route and use a motherboard tray (Lian Li for example).

SticMAC: Well possibly. I used a modular PSU which did fit perfectly in that area but it had a 120m fan in it that made so much noise once it warmed up a but so I removed the outer casing and the fan :o. I'm waiting a bit to decide if I will replace the PSU until I cut the case more, but yes I will attach the PSU plug to the case properly eventually.

This is the top section. The bare PSU :D, the DVD and some messy wires.

post-298694-1236011605_thumb.jpg

Baudouin: thats a nice idea, I might just do that instead of cutting up my old coolermaster side panel. It wouldn't really matter as the real side panel covers that area but I kinda like having just the baffle on to show the nice insides :star_smile:

Baudouin: thats a nice idea, I might just do that instead of cutting up my old coolermaster side panel. It wouldn't really matter as the real side panel covers that area but I kinda like having just the baffle on to show the nice insides :(

In my thread I am showing how to bend the mesh panel by using a rubber hammer and the hands. :blink:

Very nice build here. I bet you're excited for 10.5.7, since it will bring Core i7 and x58 native drivers to OSX. Be sure to let us know how your Xbench improves after the drivers are put into a distro

Yeh can't wait to see how 10.5.7 changes things. I noticed when booted with my recovery USB stick with iDebeb 10.5.5 on it that the xBench score was even higher, 425 or something - the lock contention and something else were way higher than my real install using voodoo kernel.

The comp is in bits again at the moment whilst I give the case a paintjob and polish. I'll also fix the PSU's plug to the back of the case properly. I'll post some pics in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...