Ripperss

16 posts in this topic

ASUS Rampage II Extreme and XxX 10.5.6 with ppf1 works:

My system:

Mobo: Asus Rampage II Extreme with ACPI bios revision 903

CPU: INTEL CORE I7-940 2.93 GHZ LGA1366

GPU: SAPPHIRE RADEON HD4870 1GB DDR5 PCI-E TV-OUT

Chipset: Intel X58 / ICH10R

Mem: OCZ OCZ3RPR18004GK 4GB (2X2GB) DDR3 PC3-14400 REAPER HPC DUAL CHANNEL..but i slow them to 1066Mhz

Storage : Intel ICH10R southbridge and Jmicron 363 controller

SoundC : SupremeFX X-FI ( ADI AD2000B )

PS: Is someone knows how to enable my 4 cores i would appreciate it.

• 4 weeks later...

I used the guide here that got me up and running with all 4(8) cores and let me install from my retail leopard DVD. I was also able to update to 10.5.6

I can't get the LAN, Audio or Graphics working though so if you have any ideas please let me know.

I have a GTX 260 which I'm not expecting to get working anytime soon. I have a 9600 something or other on order until snow leopard arrives.

• 4 weeks later...

I had that same problem where it didn't create that file.

When you runs this part of the instructions: ./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl

Append it with the '-f' option which will force the creation of the .aml file.

So it should look like this: ./DSDT\ Patcher Debug/dsdt.dsl -f

Give that a try and hopefully you'll be good to go.

Out of interest what happens after the "Booting from CD" countdown finishes

i did the -f and it created the .aml but I still couldnt boot 4 cores and HT turned on

Do I just copy the .aml to the root after it is created?

Are you using MJ's method with the retail cd or are you using a install method like iPC or Kalyway

It just keeps counting down gets to zero and starts over again continuing over and over

I just got a retail 10.5.6 so I will try this next.

While trying to install using M J's method and using a 10.5.6 retail cd I am encountering the same problem.

I type in the command

rd(0,1)/mach_kernal.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3 and then hit enter

It keeps going back to the starting from cd countdown and never loads.

I tried 0s0, 0s1, 0s2, 0s3, 1s0, 1s1, 1s2 and 1s3

Could I possibly be selecting the wrong disk should I try more combinations?

What happens to everyone else when they type in the wrong diskxsx command.

Thanks

JN

I found that it only worked with those instructions when the drive I was installing to was the primary drive on the lowest SATA port i.e port 1 which would make the HDD disk0.

Then my DVD drive was in the next slot making it disk1.

So when you enter: rd(0,1)/mach_kernal.voodoo busratio=20 -v -f rd=disk1s3

It finds the DVD drive 'rd=disk1' the 's3' is the boot part and as long as the disk1 is right then it should work.

I had loads of problems early on because I have 2x150GB Raptors in RAID0 running Vista and they where in position 1 and 2 on the SATA ports, once I had moved them to positions 3 and 4, and moved my Leopard drive to position 1, SATA DVD to position 2 it all fell into place.

Th3joker

Thanks for the tip but still nothing.

It might be a bad copy of 10.5.6 retail

I made the copy myself from a dvd my wife has.

It might be in the wrong format/structure I am not sure.

Also, what is the advantage to a retail installation like M J's guide compared to iPC 10.5.6

I do have one other question for anyone who may know.

What do I need to do to eliminate typing busratio=20 each time I boot?

Thanks

JN

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all I've got an asus rampage ii extreme also and a copy of idenebv1.4, xxx finalv2, iatkos5i, ipc universal and can't get any of them to install properly. My specs are intel core i7 965, triple ddr3 2gb, 1tb hdd unformatted, gtx295. Can anyone please help with their knowledge. I'm completely new at all this, what bios updates changes do I have to make? How do I install on hd and what do I format my partition as? Which disto should I use? How do I boot in after installation? What packages do I select in install? If I can just get help with install and being able to boot in I'm certain I can find solutions to my other problems. Thanks in advance :dance_24:

Semi.

• 2 months later...

I too have the Asus Rampage ii Extreme, and have tried countless distros.

I tried the retail today but noticed i at the wrong disk selected in that typed command at f8, so ill move my drive tomorrow and try again.

Im running a Core i7 975 with 6gb Dominator 1866, and of course the Rampage.

Has anyone a definitive answer for an install on this board??

• 1 month later...

PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! :(

Being from Mac background has hampered me greatly with the FORUMS PRESENTATION of skipping vital information and steps when in their "lingo" regarding when and how to do what. (most of the information links in the forum is either proprietary BS or it is just absolute jargon to me, i.e. FORUM instructions without WHEN WHERE HOW is useless to the novice, and those instructions need often to be explained for a "regular computer person to follow".... :hysterical: ) SO IF YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO DO THAT, AND ARE WILLING TO HELP, PLEASE READ ON....

MY COMPUTER:

1. ASUS Rampage II Extreme ATX Intel motherboard

2. Intel Core i7 920

3. RADEON HD 4870 video card 1GB

4. Two separate Hardrives, one IDE with Windows successfully installed, the other SATA hard drive has been formated with Macintosh Journalled Extended, it is Clean and ready to instal Mac OSX.

:(OVERALL PROBLEM: I have not (none, nada) been able to successfully install and boot anyone of the Five or Six OSX86 Install programs onto my "IBM" computer.( I have been trying them all for days.... :( :censored2:

PROBLEM #1: I have followed the following BIOS setup to the best of my ability (from a forum) with some success:

+ Active Processor Cores [1]

+ A20M [Disabled]

+ everything else [Enabled]

- Onboard Devices Configuration

+ High Definition Audio [Enabled]

+ Front Panel Audio [HD Audio]

- Power

+ Suspend Mode [Auto]

+ Repost Video on S3 Resume [Yes]

+ ACPI 2.0 Support [Enabled]

+ ACPI APIC Support [Enabled]

- APM Configuration

+ Restore on AC Power Loss [Last State]

- Boot

- Boot Device Priority

+ 1st Boot Device [ATAPI CD-ROM]

+ 2nd Boot Device [Hard Drive]

THIS BIOS LIST is nowhere near the multi screens I have in "my" BIOS setup screens, but changing what I can in those setting above in my BIOS, has allowed me to complete :D the IDENEB 1.4 install and the ability to reboot, only to achieve PROBLEM #2 :dev: .

(NOTE: I HAVE SET UP- in bios- THE DVD READER TO BE THE ONE AND ONLY DRIVE DURING INSTALLATION OF THE OSX86. I have successfully opened IDENEB 1.4/10.5.6 to format the two Macintosh Partitions on the one dedicated Macintosh HD.)

:dev:PROBLEM #2: At the end of the IDENEB Install, I use the Mac pulldown menu to access the TERMINAL program and I Open the MAC TERMINAL program. I then type "diskutil list" to determine that my MAC START UP PARTITION DRIVE IS "2s2".

THEN I type "fdisk -e/dev/rdiskX", where X is the number listed for the drive I just installed on, and I restart and reset the BIOS to start up on the MAC HARDRIVE (hopefully with the Mac System)....... BUT, it only starts to load the great APPLE only to stop several minutes later (shows a zero with a line through it over the Mac Apple).

DO YOU HAVE THE SOLUTION? :rolleyes:

FIRST, I believe I need the complete set up of the BIOS to follow and change my computer to, (a page by page, i.e. a "screen by screen" example please)! So if anyone has successfully installed on the ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME II motherboard with the i7-920 chipset, then All the BIOS setup would be appreciated.

SECOND, If you have the patience and ability, :P I need step by step instructions, (when, where and how) to get this installed startup drive to load the OSX86 (Ideneb 1.4, 10.5.6,). As stated earlier, the Forums are a foreign language to me, "type, vanilla, kernel, ktext....etc. etc. etc........) Straight forward, step by step INSTRUCTIONS such as "TYPE HERE... AT THIS STEP OF THE INSTALL" would be greatly appreciated. and may restore some of my faith that there are some

"IBM Users: who can communicate properly.

If I ever reach success with booting OSX86, I will deal with the Quad Cores, Internet, and Sound Later. :censored2:

P.S are there any existing IRC chat for OSX86 still operating?

Thanking you in advance,

iyohmamma

• 4 weeks later...
Follow MJ's guide to a retail installation and you will find success.

I am running fully retail, installed using retail 10.5.6

did system update to 10.5.7

everything fully working

Hello jimmydigital00!

You say that after all you did succeed to install Retail on Asus Rampage II Extreme (is that your MB?)?

If yes, how EXACTLY did you boot the CD provided by MJ? (since I did not successfully boot with it and Retail 10.5.4 DVD after that) Also, after install did all the devices on the MB "just worked", or you had to add kext's, EFI strings and/or .aml file?

Please come with your answers to Asus Rampage II Extreme (i7+X58): Questions, answers and sollutions to Retail install!, you and ALL of those that have same MB, so that we can collect all the knowledge and experiences about that rig!

Thanks!