FX5200 Works ! 10.5.5 and 10.5.6

CPT_MAC

60 posts in this topic

Hi,

I get hardware acceleration with FX5500 AGP in 10.5.8, without glitches, same that fx 5200 and additional coregraphics files (not folder) to kalyway combo update 10.5.3, over 10.5.5 coregraphics update.

This is my hardware and configuration:

4coredualVSTA 1.80bios

nVIDIA FX5500

Edirol U25 sound usb

ovislink evo base (zd1211)

AverTv USB TDT

Ideneb v1.6

thestevo45kexts

Nvidia Universal Installer.pkg

10.5.5.CoreGraphics.framework.pkg

Coregraphics update from Kalyway Combo Update 10.5.3 (only files separately)

all working fine

good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I got my PNY Verto FX 5200 (PCI) working on an iATKOS v7 install by downloading and installing both the NVKush pkg and the Nvidia Kext pkg from here, then modifying the NVkush.kext info.plist to fit my device ID so it looks like this...

<key>NVKush</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.DiaboliK.NVKush</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>com_DiaboliK_NVKush</string>
		<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
		<string>IOFramebuffer</string>
		<key>IONameMatch</key>
		<string>display</string>
		[color="#FF0000"]<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
		<string>0x032210de</string>[/color]
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>0</integer>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		<key>entriesToAdd</key>
		<dict>

then I repaired permissions and rebooted with full qe/ci support.

I used Sanya's method to fix the messed up windows:

1) inserted 10.5.5 DVD and opened with pacifist

2) located CoreGraphics.framework

3) installed it to 10.5.8

4) then rebooted, now everything works and I have full qe/ci on an updated iATKOS v7 install to 10.5.8.

My specs are:

IBM Thinkcentre A50/S50 (8183-36u)

Pentium 4 "Northwood" (SSE2 only)

Intel 865g chipset with the FX 5200 in one of the two PCI slots

And I'm using the VooDoo 9.7 Kernel by qoopz.

Here's my system profiler:

GeForce 5200 FX:

Chipset Model: GeForce 5200 FX

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0322

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

DELL M781s:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Display Connector:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello i am trying to install ipc 10.5.6 on my dell precision workstation 360. i currently have a maddog geforce fx 5200 in it. i install nvkush complete during installation and i get video and stuff but when i try to install the driver package for the fx 5200 when i reboot it hangs. when i do -v it says it hangs at intel 8254 and trys to connect to something then it just sits there.

• 2 months later...

DVD movie disks never mount

I have a Dell Dimension 4400 that has 10.5.6 installed using iPC.

My FX5200 is working almost perfectly using Astro123's method. It has QE/CI working but it will not mount DVD movies. Data DVDs and CDs work just fine in the drive. The little eject triangle in the toolbar always says "No Drives" and Disk Utility does not detect the DVD either. The system profiler does show that there is a DVD-ROM on my ATA bus.

I have tried a Lite-on and a Sony DVD drive, both behaved identically. VLC doesn't see the DVD either. I have tried different jumper settings on the drive. I have searched for a solution but have not had any luck. Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 months later...

I recently revived an old P4 box I have (dell d330; mobo says p4s. Prescott CPU + ICH5) and I have an AGP GeForce FX5200 installed. I do recall having QE/CI + dual VGA working under 10.5.4 on another mobo with this exact gfx card, however, I cannot get both VGA to work. It took me quite a bit of extra work to get QE/CI working after 10.5.8 update - here's what I had to do for that:

1) Installed 10.5.5 with QE/CI working

2) Backed up NVDA* + GeForce* kexts

3) Backed up CoreGraphics.Framework from 10.5.5 (3 versions; one in Frameworks folder, another in Version/A folder, and another in Version/Current folder)

4) Installed 10.5.8 Combo Update and reinstalled my ATA kext + Voodoo 9.8

5) Boot into single user mode and delete current (10.5.8) CoreGraphics Framework and replaced with backed up versions from 10.5.5, as well as spoofed each of their plists to have same version string as 10.5.8 CoreGraphicsFramework

6) Reinstalled NVkush and repaired permissions on extentions and CoreGraphicsFrameworks

I've tried pulling my NVCAP with NVCAP maker 1.4, but fassl suggests that it won't work correctly for such an old card (though I recall having it working before, but alas, I don't recall what magic worked).

• 2 weeks later...

Fix DVD playback

I had initially installed LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA chipset driver. There was no DVD playback with this kext. I would get "There was an initialization error : A Valid Video Device Could Not Be Found For Playback [70017].." Neither Apple's DVD Player nor VLC worked.

I was able to get DVD Playback by installing Intel ICH10 SATA Support instead of LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA chipset. It made it so that Apple's DVD Player worked but was very slow and chunky. So I have been using VLC. It runs smoothly.

Details here.

• 4 months later...
Hi Fillerue,

I had the same issues as you mentioned above.

I have an intel p4 2.8Ghz with FX5200 AGP 128MB card, and I'm using IDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) release.

These are the steps i took in order to make QE/CI work:

Step 1:

1.) Install OSx86 with no video drivers, injectors (NVkush, NVinject, etc.), nor AGPGart.

2.) Right after installation, boot with parameters -s -v.

3.) Remove all references to Geforce drivers:

/sbin/fsck -fy
 /sbin/mount -uw /
 rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*
 rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/NVD*
 rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
 exit

Now your system shouldn't hang anymore, and you'll be able to create an account and login.

4.) Open OSX86Tools and click on Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag button.

5.) Click on GFX Strings icon, and choose Custom GeForce... from the Graphics Card drop-down.

6.) Choose VRAM size (card's memory) and NVCAP (VGA/DVI-I if VGA is on the side of the motherboard) and click on

Import String to Boot Editor icon.

7.) On the Boot Editor window, click on Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist and restart your system.

You should now see in System Analyzer that your card is recognized, but no QE/CI.

Step 2:

1.) Install NVidia Universal Installer (Thank you MacNutty).

You will be logged-out and logged back in automatically.

2.) Open OSX86Tools , check Repair Permissions, Clear Extensions Cache and Touch Extensions Folder, and click the Run Selected Tasks button. When finished, restart your system.

You should now see in System Analyzer that QE/CI is enabled, but with scrambled graphics.

Step 3:

To fix the graphics issue use Sanya method:

If you have a 10.5.5 dvd (i use IAKTOS 5i):

1.) Insert 10.5.5 dvd and open Pacifist.

2.) Click on Open Apple Install Discs, and choose your dvd.

3). When finished, use the search box to locate CoreGraphics.framework.

4.) Right click on it, and choose Install to Default Location.

Replace files if prompt.

5.) Restart your system.

If you don't have a 10.5.5 dvd (Thank you JESS Fortress):

1.) Download and install 10.5.5 CoreGraphics.

2.) Restart your system.

You should now have QE/CI enabled and working well.

Hope that helps.

Nice tutorial.I made a test computer I have run Mac OS X 10.5 smoothly.I think I'll end up just giving it to someone who really wanted to try a mac though because I have 6 Real Macs dating from 2009-2011.Thanks!

• 6 months later...