How To Read-write Ntfs Partitions On Osx86?

issacleung

38 posts in this topic

Yeah thats what it should be.. and Im asking how it could be done  :(

NTFS drivers for OS's other that Windows have not been developed by Microsoft, they've been developed by third-party developers. They haven't fully figured out how to enable write-access to NTFS yet. So in a system other than Windows, you cannot yet write to NTFS.

On another note, does Mac have FAT32 drivers? Because that filesystem should be writeable, as it is in Linux/BSD.

Macs have FAT32 support, yep. Although the last time I tried it (back at 10.3.something) they had problems with partitions over 128GB I think. Your only choice if you want read/write... Other than something like Macdrive6 or Transmac on the PC side to read/write HFS+.

Linux has highly experimental NTFS write support, but I don't think Apple wants to add a 'feature' that could kill a drive volume. :(

I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but I appear to be able to read/write to a NTFS share on a pc. I've tried to share a different folder on a NTFS folder on a usb drive but writing to it doesn't work.

It definitely works ... just not exactly sure how. I'll try and get to the bottom of it over the next few days.

I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but I appear to be able to read/write to a NTFS share on a pc.  I've tried to share a different folder on a NTFS folder on a usb drive but writing to it doesn't work.

It definitely works ... just not exactly sure how.  I'll try and get to the bottom of it over the next few days.

It is impossible to directly write to NTFS on OS X.

If you mean a share on a different PC, and via the network, then yes that works. That is because technically you are using CIFS when accessing the share.

There is a Linux project that uses native Windows system files to enable read-write. its not 100% but its a lot better then the fully reverse engineared solutions. Gentoo or Ubuntu forums should mention it somewhere.

I would recommend you to use a FAT32 partition for archive all your files from all your operating systems (linux, windows xp, mac, Solaris) because all operating systems can read/write FAT32

I would recommend you to use a FAT32 partition for archive all your files from all your operating systems (linux, windows xp, mac, Solaris) because all operating systems can read/write FAT32

I find it funny you can read/write to a HFS+ drive on XP though, doesn't matter to me, all I need is the ability to read.

I find it funny you can read/write to a HFS+ drive on XP though, doesn't matter to me, all I need is the ability to read.

Funny??? I think it's the sign of a well documented file system (HFS+) as opposed to one that's obfuscated.

I plugged my HFS formatted iPod into my friends windows machine and he couldn't read it.

Or are you refering to transmac being able to read and write?

Using Fat32 is a bit of a pain when you are trying to transfer files larger than 4 gig.

I have an 80gig archive drive (NTFS) with all my documents, home photos, and home videos. Would you recommend converting to fat32? The drive only has 3gig left on it. It's been since windows 2000 sp1 that I converted any file system, so sorry for the n00b question.

Yea, from what I remember and what the board members pointed out, FAT32 has a 32gig limitation. Which means the existing data will eventually need to be backed up before converting the 80gig drive to FAT32. Then the 80gig drive needs to be split into 3 partitions. :(.

No, it can use more than 32GB. Partition magic can convert it and you will be able to use it.

It is just that Windows 2000 and XP Pro can't -format- a partition to over 32GB. 98SE or Windows ME can (in addition to Partition Magic). You'll be able to read it fine in 2k or XP, but the cluser sizes are big at that size.

Here is some useful info:

http://www.allensmith.net/Storage/HDDlimit/FAT32.htm

Thank you cyrana! Very useful information. After converting my archive drive to fat32, i'll never boot back into windows again. :( Unless I need to use vmware.

64K x 32 KB = 2048 MB = 2 GB

So if you have a 100gig drive, how much will you loose when you convert to FAT32? :)

Well, the cluster size can be an issue if you have a lot if -tiny- files. If you have thousands of files that are like 1KB in size, they'll take up 32KB each on a partition that is over 32GB due to the clusters.

But, for videos and things I doubt you'll notice. Good luck!

Yes, I know exactly what you are saying. I also design websites and into some php scripting on the side. As you know, 1 webite can consist of thousands of images and files :(. But I think I will sacrifice and just copy the site backup on winxp partition and convert the 80gig drive to FAT32. Then copy the site backup on Mac.

Another option (may be cheaper?) is to get something like Macdrive6 on the PC and then just use it to read an HFS+ volume. I guess it depends on where you spend most of your time...

Regardless, good luck. B)

Another option (may be cheaper?) is to get something like Macdrive6 on the PC and then just use it to read an HFS+ volume.  I guess it depends on where you spend most of your time...

Regardless, good luck. B)

So far I couldn't read an HFS+ volume from XP.

Neither MacDrive, nor Paragon Drive Backup Pro worked.

Actually MacDrive frozed my system and I had to remove it in safe mode.