iATKOS VS iDENEB ?

djtrix

8 posts in this topic

Hey there,

Experianced OSX86 user here, tried a bunch of different distros over the days, got 10.5.2 running and working fine on my computer right now, and don't really want to upgrade it (don't fix it if it ain't broke, yah?) But my buddy is over here with a new laptop and we want to put osx86 on it, which brings me to my question....

What i want to know is what is the big difference between the iATKOS (10.5.5) and the iDENEB (10.5.5)

The DVDs are 2.63GB vs 4.37GB respectively, is this just because one has a bunch of commonly used applications bundled with it, or are there other major differences? does anyone know, can someone fill me in here? I've done some googling, but can't find much details on it.

I did notice that there are two websites for each of the distros, but even with those websites I can't find much info.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

djtrix

Short answer, the big difference is the EFI emulator on iATKOS 5i is far more advanced than the one iDeneb is using. The iATKOS 5i EFI emulator is PC EFI v9. That version puts the hackintosh specific kexts into their own directory so that they don't get touched during software updates. Those kexts take priority over the main kext directory, so you can use software update without harming the system.

It makes for a very robust system. No worries that your kids or wife are going to brick the system while you are at work "I just clicked yes, when it asked if I wanted to update".. ;)

As for 10.5.2 not being broke, I wouldn't count on that. There are plenty of apps out that won't even install on a version that out of date anymore. Not to mention all the security patches, bug fixes, and performance improvements (those are mostly in 10.5.6) that have come out since then. In the Apple world, it's never a good thing to be behind the times on updates, things stop being supported very quickly.

Thanks man!

Exactly what i wanted to hear (was already downloading the iATKOS)

Just thought it wasn't as good cause the iDeneb has 30000 downloads and iatkos only had 1500.

As for 10.5.2 not being broke, i guess you're right about the security updates, but since i hardly ever use the internet, and mainly just use it for producing music offline, i'm not too worried. all my applications work, and don't plan on updating any of them anytime soon. should i find an application that is dependant on a newer version of osx perhaps i'll upgrade. but even then, i think i'll wait for iATKOS 10.5.6 like you said :)

Cheers,

djtrix

• 6 months later...

Sorry to re-up this topic.

But i've got the same questions but with Ideneb 10.5.7 and iAtkos 10.5.7.

I think it's the two biggest distributions and I notice the difference between tthe two iso.

So, what's the difference ?

Only EFI emulator ?

• 2 months later...
Short answer, the big difference is the EFI emulator on iATKOS 5i is far more advanced than the one iDeneb is using. The iATKOS 5i EFI emulator is PC EFI v9. That version puts the hackintosh specific kexts into their own directory so that they don't get touched during software updates. Those kexts take priority over the main kext directory, so you can use software update without harming the system.

It makes for a very robust system. No worries that your kids or wife are going to brick the system while you are at work "I just clicked yes, when it asked if I wanted to update".. :rolleyes:

As for 10.5.2 not being broke, I wouldn't count on that. There are plenty of apps out that won't even install on a version that out of date anymore. Not to mention all the security patches, bug fixes, and performance improvements (those are mostly in 10.5.6) that have come out since then. In the Apple world, it's never a good thing to be behind the times on updates, things stop being supported very quickly.

Thanks UnaClocker, short answer but very comprehensive. Thanks!

I did try with iDeneb but still not success, after read your post, I will download iATKOS to make a new try.

• 8 months later...

Um, sorry for being a mega-noob, but i currently have iDeneb 10.5.8 (leopard dual boot with windows 7) installed, and i was wondering, if i installed iATKOS, would it fix the problem i have of the only available screen resolution of 1024x768?

And one more thing, what is EFI?

Um, sorry for being a mega-noob, but i currently have iDeneb 10.5.8 (leopard dual boot with windows 7) installed, and i was wondering, if i installed iATKOS, would it fix the problem i have of the only available screen resolution of 1024x768?

Lol (sorry) but no, if you get a copy of MacDrive you will be able to change resolution and add new drivers manually, then just use install dvd to repair permissions.

Something I wanted to ask about owever is iDeneb's apparent lack of ACPIIntel drivers on the dvd (or non standard placing of these drivers) Does anyone know why this is, how this works and how to make a hd system work the same way?

+Kudos on the iATIKOS info I never realised...

You don't need to play around with all those distributions, just get the KEXT's for your hardware. :) I have iATKOS v7 which didn't start at all (garbled screen) and now I have a working Hackintosh with a small exception of occasional KP ;)

Oh, and the EFI part? Try looking up on Wikipedia over HERE

Best of luck!