Best Osx86 for Core i7/DX58SO?

mmackh

23 posts in this topic

could anyone please help me with my rig.

4gb ram

1tb 7200rpm

920 i7 2.67ghz

Soundcard? -- no idea?? think it comes with the board

i know that i am able to run kalyway 10.5.2

but is it possible to update to ..5.5 or even ..5.6?

or use iatkos or ideneb?

thanks in advance.

mm

i have tried iatkos 5i, however it fails while i am installing.

something about a intel kext failed unpacking.

any suggestions?

somewhere i heard u cannot run vanilla on i7..

what is the next best kernel?

mm

Voodoo kernel..

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to run vanilla on an i7.. It's just a quad core (which works) with hyperthreading (which works, I use it on my Atom machines)..

If you are failing during the install, with that error message, I'd say it's a bad burn. Burn to some different media, try a different drive. Hell, put the install DVD on a thumb drive and boot off that.

i found that post:

"Yes, audio is working.

Remember the vanilla kernel tests for specific cpu types, and the i7 is one step above Core 2 Duo series. The other kernels disable this check allowing more generic, i.e AMD cpu's to be used.

The voodoo kernel based on vanilla 9.5 supposedly at RC today should be interesting..."

verified the dvd in disk ulity and it appears to be o.k.

after i played around with the settings a bit i got a few successful installs, but i could never boot due to a lack of apple.boot.plist??

now i cannot boot into vista anymore.

any suggestions?

thanks

mm

When you formatted the drive, did you select GUID? If it's still MBR, that could cause that problem.

Could this Error also cause a System Restart during Apple logo on bootup? Getting Reboots during bootup of vanilla install from retail disk and also while booting up Iatkos v5 with vanilla kernel. With iAtkos at least the install went flawless. Was wondering about this since i'm using pretty compatible hardware: GA ep 35 ds3 / e8400.

Chris

Could this Error also cause a System Restart during Apple logo on bootup? Getting Reboots during bootup of vanilla install from retail disk and also while booting up Iatkos v5 with vanilla kernel. With iAtkos at least the install went flawless. Was wondering about this since i'm using pretty compatible hardware: GA ep 35 ds3 / e8400.

Chris

no i don't think that this errror could cause a system restart, because the system doesn't even start, its just reocouring text..

ok i could not be bothered to install 10.5.5 because of all the hassle with the kernel and some s-ata incompatibility. now i have installed my good old 10.5.2 which is pretty much the most reliable installer out there in my opinion

it recognises 4 cores and runs very smooth

with the default kernel there is no need for a "busration=xx" like in the voodoo kernel with iatkos 5i

also there has been an announcement that there will be a release of voddo kernel 2.0 with native support of the i7. awsome!

now by installing kalyway i have 2 issues with my drivers. my mobo is DX58SO from intel:

first of all i really cannot get my ethernet to work. i have no idea what drivers to look for or if they even exist.

intel website: Gigabit (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) LAN subsystem <--

but this is not as important as my second issue.

Sound: Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem in the following configuration:

• 8-channel (7.1) Dolby Home Theater* Audio subsystem with five analog audio outputs and two S/PDIF digital audio outputs (coaxial and optical) using the Sigmatel* 9274D audio codec

9274D, i have found nothing that works with my rig. not hdapatcher 1.16 nor v7 of this specialized applehda or hdaenabler kexts.

anyone out there have a solution?

thanks in advance

mm

Sound: Intel® High Definition Audio subsystem in the following configuration:

• 8-channel (7.1) Dolby Home Theater* Audio subsystem with five analog audio outputs and two S/PDIF digital audio outputs (coaxial and optical) using the Sigmatel* 9274D audio codec

9274D, i have found nothing that works with my rig. not hdapatcher 1.16 nor v7 of this specialized applehda or hdaenabler kexts.

anyone out there have a solution?

thanks in advance

mm

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...=130380&hl= ??

the mobo is amazing... it's not just really fast but runs kalyway just like a mac.. saying that it doesn't slow down no matter how many windows there are open.. expose is awsome as well..

only downside is sound and lan...oh well seeing as you don't have a solution why did u reply?

thanks justvisiting, yes tried v7 and no success.. even though it gets detected in the system profiler there is no sound device showing up...only an id!

well i have to keep looking then

thanks

You should join us other i7 users in this forum. I am using the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, but we may be able to help you get a vanilla install working. I put together a simple EFI Partition Boot Install script for my mb, but you can mess around with other kexts to get your rig working. It may take some time, but it should work well with the EFI partition boot. I was actually going to get that motherboard, but the 4 RAM slots persuaded me to pass on it.

Insanelymac i7 Forum

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
HI!!! Im planning to buy dx58so.

Can you post specific experiences with dx58so?

Do the USB and FireWire Works without problems?

And what distro you can recommend... kalyway 10.5.2?

thanks

Hope this helps other DX58SO mb owners.

I am successfully running Iatkos 5i (10.5.5) on a DX58SO motherboard with a core i7 965XE processor.

Intel High Definition Audio Device - DX58SO:

It took me many attempt to find a working sound driver for the Intel HD Audio Device but I can tell you that the one here works perfectly. (I have attached it also to this post)

Intel Gigabit LAN Ethernet Device - DX58SO:

I also got the LAN working ... that one confuses me because I am not sure exactly what I did. I can say I first installed the kext from here which after a reboot did not change anything. Then I installed the drivers from here and after several reboots it just started working. I'm tending to lean towards the drivers from the seconds source, they are the drivers that Intel's site directs towards. So while I cannot say which one worked exactly .... I can probably help you narrow down your search.

Core Processors and OSX: ????

This one still has me stumped. My OSX still says I have 0 processors and 7 cores. Where it should say 8 cores. I have not found a way to resolve that but even without that my machine is snappy and very responsive and kicks Vista and Windows 7 in the backside. I know when I finish optimising iATKOS on my i7 System it will be untouchable.

I will update this post as I find out more and likewise, any other DX58SO motherboard owners please post your experiences here to help others.

1.5.7a24_EVGA_X58.zip

Hope this helps other DX58SO mb owners.

I am successfully running Iatkos 5i (10.5.5) on a DX58SO motherboard with a core i7 965XE processor.

Intel High Definition Audio Device - DX58SO:

It took me many attempt to find a working sound driver for the Intel HD Audio Device but I can tell you that the one here works perfectly. (I have attached it also to this post)

Intel Gigabit LAN Ethernet Device - DX58SO:

I also got the LAN working ... that one confuses me because I am not sure exactly what I did. I can say I first installed the kext from here which after a reboot did not change anything. Then I installed the drivers from here and after several reboots it just started working. I'm tending to lean towards the drivers from the seconds source, they are the drivers that Intel's site directs towards. So while I cannot say which one worked exactly .... I can probably help you narrow down your search.

Core Processors and OSX: ????

This one still has me stumped. My OSX still says I have 0 processors and 7 cores. Where it should say 8 cores. I have not found a way to resolve that but even without that my machine is snappy and very responsive and kicks Vista and Windows 7 in the backside. I know when I finish optimising iATKOS on my i7 System it will be untouchable.

I will update this post as I find out more and likewise, any other DX58SO motherboard owners please post your experiences here to help others.

I have the same hardware as you, but i could not get iaktos 5 work on it, always get kernel panic at first boot.

Which kext have you selected?

Please tell me.

Thank you.

well, i succeeded to install ideneb 10.5.6 on my desktop. Most of hardwares are right recognize, even CPU, RAM, bluetooth, sound, network.

;)

Hi what are the customize options that you used? I have dx58so, installed but reboot loop during startup...

Hi what are the customize options that you used? I have dx58so, installed but reboot loop during startup...

Check out this thread for installing iATKOS 5i on your DX58SO. It comes with which customizations to pick and how to get the audio and network to work. I tested this on my board and it works great.

http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/which-osx86-...-core-i7-t2493/

As for OS X showing 7 cores, it actually counts the cores from 0-7, thus totaling 8 cores. The new release of OSX 10.5.7 should correct have full support for i7, along with add some additional support for ATI graphics cards. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...

I can not get it. The whole tread making some custom solutions with the earlier OSX versions.

Why are you trying with versions below 10.5.7?

The nahalem processors/ i7 are only supported by 10.5.7 and up.

So the reason you are seing 7 cores but no processors is that reason.

You need 10.5.7 to get the i7 to work.

So far you can only update 10.5.6 or below to 10.5.7.

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.7#Intel

• Bios version ver 4014 wih date 5/8/2009
  • Install Method: iatkos v7 10.5.7, at chameleon DVDboot press f8 and type busratio=20
  • taken standard choises at customization.
  • intel Gbit 82566mm driver choosen in customization menu. This driver supports only 10 mbit and does not function after sleep. with updated driver thanks to Mercurysquad it supports 1000mbit (bugfix) and works after sleep (implemented powermanagement): http://bernfeld.net/intel82566mm.zip
  • voodoohda doesn't function after sleep but with this fix it does: http://thireus.dareyourmind.net/index.php/...akes-from-sleep
  • all other hardware works OOB
  • time machine not yet tested.

• 7 months later...

can u help me i'm trying to instal mac os x leopard on my PC, i have a intel i7 920 with 8gb of DDR3, the motherboard is a ASUS Rampage 2 extreme, x2 Nvidia Geforce GTX 280. and i try to instal iATKOS v7 but when is about to start it will boot agin and it will keep the same everything i try to boot Mac os can u tell how can i do it to solf this problem

can u help me i'm trying to instal mac os x leopard on my PC, i have a intel i7 920 with 8gb of DDR3, the motherboard is a ASUS Rampage 2 extreme, x2 Nvidia Geforce GTX 280. and i try to instal iATKOS v7 but when is about to start it will boot agin and it will keep the same everything i try to boot Mac os can u tell how can i do it to solf this problem

First: I am not sure if the iATKOS v7 works ?!?! I use the V5 and that one works like a charm.

Second: I suspect your pc reboots before you can get to the installation? In that case try to set you "Drive properties" to AHCI (in the BIOS)

• 1 month later...

Something with the dx58so bios updates of 2010 seems to cause a reset booting into my mac almost like its trying to boot ide. I see the apple logo and it restarts quickly. Im guessing the new bios is more 64 bit and cant boot leopard since im still using leopard and not snow leopard? Its possible the updated bios is making the ahci boot solid 64 bit now unless anyone else has any theories. Ive never been able to get sl with my video card working 100% and trusted leopard more but I basically have to stay away from any more bios updates now.