Adaptec 2940uw Works, 29160n Does Not

seebaru

5 posts in this topic

By "works", I mean that the card is recognized in

System Profiler -> Hardware -> PCI Cards

System Profiler -> Hardware -> Parallel SCSI

and that my NTFS-formatted UltraSCSI Windows XP boot drive mounts as "Read Only" on the Macintosh desktop, as per Tiger's limited NTFS support.

The AHA-2940UW card has the most recent PC flash BIOS (v2.20) for the card.

I didn't have to do anything special - I left in all the Adaptec .kexts that came with the native Marklar install on my ASRock P4Dual-915GL:

Adaptec78XXSCSI.kext

Adaptec290X-2930.kext

Adaptec29160x.kext

Adaptec39160.kext

When trying to get the Adaptec 29160N to show up, I first tried removing all the Adaptec .kexts except for Adaptec29160x.kext, then tried removing all of them. The system never recognized it as a PCI card in System Profiler -> Hardware -> PCI Cards.

Given that the version of Adaptec29160x.kext installed here is v1.2.0, and Adaptec has had a v1.3.1b version on their site since January 2004, it's not suprising that it doesn't work. The Adaptec .kexts are built by them, so they would have to fix it.

Note: unless I get really bored, I'm not even going to attempt booting from SCSI, as I would absolutely expect this not to work.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Seebaru,

It would appear that the four kext files that you listed are not all that is required to get the SCSI cards to work.

I have a G3 iMac PPC running 10.4 and an iPC running 10.5

I wish to get my iPC to support my Adaptec 2940UW, but discovered that 10.5 doesn't have SCSI support.

I have copied the four kext files you listed from the extensions folder on my G3 and installed them into the osX86 using the tools provided with 10.5 and restarted the iPC with: -v -f

The iPC has booted up fine and LSPCI can still see my Adaptec 2940UW as it could before, but the OS 10.5 can not.

Any ideas from anyone else as towhich other files I need to transfer would be much appreichated.

Thanks,