ATI Radeon HD 3200 Drivers

Andy_Boy

42 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I usually refrain myself from posting if I don't have a useful reason for the hackintosh community to do so ... but here ... it's a long time since I saw so much stupidity in a single place.

I thought the reason for this forum is to help each other in getting a fully working version of Mac OSX on our computers ... but I see that for you it became a place for emitting completely wrong facts and insulting each other. Like in a previous post where with great emphasize someone said that having glxgears and .sh extensions implies that "Mac OS X has 80 % for linux/unix and 20 % for BSD Version" ?! - ignorance is not an excuse for stupidity, read before posting. Or the persistence of some of you who insists that having a driver for ati mobility cards is impossible? ... Well, guess what ... it is not impossible. Actually a couple of ati mobility cards (the ones from 1xxx series) are already working with QE and CI, thanks to someone who was not so closed minded as you are: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586

Read that post (is quite huge) and instead of writing garbage try to learn and to be useful for those who are reading your posts. Because of garbage posts like yours is so difficult to find relevant information on the forums these days.

By the way, the driver from that post is a working framebuffer for HD3200, but unfortunately is incompatible with ATIRadeonX2000.kext which is required for enabling QE and CI ... so, using that you can get native resolutions but no QE/CI, until someone who knows what he's doing can write another framebuffer or fix that one. And the fact that someone already did a similar job proves that this is by no means impossible.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I usually refrain myself from posting if I don't have a useful reason for the hackintosh community to do so ... but here ... it's a long time since I saw so much stupidity in a single place.

I thought the reason for this forum is to help each other in getting a fully working version of Mac OSX on our computers ... but I see that for you it became a place for emitting completely wrong facts and insulting each other. Like in a previous post where with great emphasize someone said that having glxgears and .sh extensions implies that "Mac OS X has 80 % for linux/unix and 20 % for BSD Version" ?! - ignorance is not an excuse for stupidity, read before posting. Or the persistence of some of you who insists that having a driver for ati mobility cards is impossible? ... Well, guess what ... it is not impossible. Actually a couple of ati mobility cards (the ones from 1xxx series) are already working with QE and CI, thanks to someone who was not so closed minded as you are: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586

Read that post (is quite huge) and instead of writing garbage try to learn and to be useful for those who are reading your posts. Because of garbage posts like yours is so difficult to find relevant information on the forums these days.

By the way, the driver from that post is a working framebuffer for HD3200, but unfortunately is incompatible with ATIRadeonX2000.kext which is required for enabling QE and CI ... so, using that you can get native resolutions but no QE/CI, until someone who knows what he's doing can write another framebuffer or fix that one. And the fact that someone already did a similar job proves that this is by no means impossible.

I agree with you 100%. I joined this forum just today and, if I'm not mistaken, the terms of use clearly stated the purpose of the site and that insulting/flaming is not allowed.

The reason for forums such as these in the first place is to offer and request HELP, which means that there will be many persons on the site who lack the knowledge to get a fully working Hackintosh on their own. Telling people they are stupid or being annoyingly sarcastic or arrogant is not only unnecessary but also will discourage the free flow of information. Also, as you said, what might seem impossible today or to one person might be very possible tomorrow, or may have already been accomplished by another.

At some point, whether it's in building a Hackintosh, discovering the inner workings of an OS or even doing other everyday things, we have all been and will all be a noob or lacked the knowledge at some point. I suggest that if contributors can't answer noob's questions "professionally", that they should keep quiet and let those who are truly interested in HELPING others do the talking... errrr, typing, and leave us "ignorant" -_- folk to either discover the solutions on our own or by the willing efforts of those who understand that a lack of knowledge does not equal stupidity.

Hello

I from Thailand. My English maybe not well.

I got this solution from the mac forum in my country. He told me that he try to use this solution with Radeon 4300 and he got full resolution. He told me to try this solution with 3200 Mobility.

His solution :

HD3200's id search form internet

Display:

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x9612

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

ID= 0x96121002

1. Installed fresh 10.6 (i used myHack, google it).

2. Enabled GraphicsEnabler with myHack. This can be done by modifying /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and adding: <key>GraphicsEnabler</key> <String>y</string>

3. Immediately applied 10.6.2 update.

4. Download and unzip boot file from Netkas (PC EFI 10.6 booter). sudo -s enter your password cd /WHERE_YOU_UNZIPPED_FILE/

cp boot /

5. download this file radeon_45x0_kexts http://www.xhackintosh.com/ati-radeo...rd-qe-ci.html6. Unzip

7. Right click on ATIRadeonX2000.kext and select "show package contents"

8. Open up contents folder

9. Edit Info.plist

10. Add "0x96121002" directly after <string> which is underneath IOPCIMatch. Save file.

11. Right click on ATI4500Controller.kext and select "show package contents"

8. Open up contents folder

9. Edit Info.plist

10. Add 0x96121002 directly after <string> which is underneath IOPCIMatch Save file.

11. Copy both modified kext files and the reamining kexts you unzipped to /System/Library/Extensions

run kext utilily and reboot

I'm sorry. If this solution not right.

I hope this solution will be useful.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

So, let me get this straight: there is a working driver for ATI Radeon HD 3200, but it doesn't support Quartz Extreme or Core Image? Can anyone confirm that the method posted directly above works, and if it does, does it offer any advantages over the framebuffer here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586 ?

How crippling is it to not have QE or CI?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

ATI Radeon HD 3200

I downloaded RadeonHD.kext.lebidou.zip from Post #115 here used Kext Helper to install driver, restarted & changed my resolution. :)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1305093

I hope this works for other people it sure worked for me! I tried everything... it would be nice to get CI/QE working but from what I hear it's not possible. I only wanted to maximize my resolution so the desktop looks decent. :wacko:

This topic has degenerated into the ignorant wishful thinkers (all of you with >150 posts) shouting down the experienced and knowledgeable users.

1: There is no Mobility Radeon HD solution.

2: Resolution change hacks are not a driver. Anything without Quartz Extreme and Core Image is not a driver. QE & CI can not be "enabled" by any tool unless there is a driver to support it.

3: There will never be any solution unless:

a Apple include Mobility Radeon HD in a future macbook and write a driver which we can find a way to utilise.

or:

b A driver is written from scratch by the community *which has never been successfully achieved in the entire history of OS X on PC*

I suggest you people stop harassing the messenger just because you don't like the message.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Don't flame me for this... but the new Macbook Pro's use a Radeon HD 6490.

"...AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR5 memory on 2.0GHz configuration; or AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory on 2.2GHz configuration..." -Quoted from apple tech specs.

Is that a mobility Radeon? With this help in getting a working driver? There is a lot of flaming on this thread and i am only asking a question so please do not flip out!

a Apple include Mobility Radeon HD in a future macbook and write a driver which we can find a way to utilise.

or:

b A driver is written from scratch by the community *which has never been successfully achieved in the entire history of OS X on PC*

Oh has no body been working on the 3200? Cause apple using that video card must be a step in the right direction for us.

Oh has no body been working on the 3200? Cause apple using that video card must be a step in the right direction for us.

Well 2 things...

1 the driver apple have released to the only mobility series they are using is a Snow Leopard / Lion driver. The AMD RadeonHD 3xx0 do not work in Snow or Lion... And the Snow / Lion driver dont work in the only os the card might have a chance to work and that is in Leopard..

2. Apple have never used the 3200, just because they use one mobility card do not make all of them work because the cards are not the same and the driver is also not the same.

So only thing you can is use the RadeonHD.kext that wilæl get you res change but no ce/qi and at this point it is safe to say this: AMD RadeonHD 3200 (Both desktop and mobility version) will never work in osx86

• 2 months later...
Well 2 things...

1 the driver apple have released to the only mobility series they are using is a Snow Leopard / Lion driver. The AMD RadeonHD 3xx0 do not work in Snow or Lion... And the Snow / Lion driver dont work in the only os the card might have a chance to work and that is in Leopard..

2. Apple have never used the 3200, just because they use one mobility card do not make all of them work because the cards are not the same and the driver is also not the same.

So only thing you can is use the RadeonHD.kext that wilæl get you res change but no ce/qi and at this point it is safe to say this: AMD RadeonHD 3200 (Both desktop and mobility version) will never work in osx86

I've been reading through all this business on unsupported video cards in OSX and I'm a little disappointed in what I'm hearing out of certain members of the community.

In particular when it comes to these cards I keep hearing things like "there won't be" and "will never work."

Anyone who knows technology should know far better than to make such definite statements ever. If you had asked me in 2000 when I had six years of programming under my belt if something like the iPhone would ever exist I would have been doubtful, if you had shown me one back when I was learning Basic and Pascal I would have said it was "magic."

Those of you who keep asking the same question over and over do need to stop, if working drivers for these cards are developed, the community will be shouting it from the highest mountains. If they are going to show up, they will show up on their own, you don't need to ride the community over it. Better yet, do some research and find a group working on it, CONTRIBUTE!

I was looking into doing a driver for the NVIDIA 310M for a Sony Vaio, and if that taught me anything it's that if someone or some group of people have the time, patience, and skill to develop the driver, there is sufficient information out there scattered about to allow the driver to be written. Apple has a tutorial on writing drivers on their own website for F-sakes.

I'm not saying it would be easy, but it's not impossible. Will it EVER happen? Maybe not, but it isn't impossible.

Now, the real question to ask is if there is anyone out there that finds writing the driver to be a worthwhile proposition?

I'm slowly working on something, I've got an idea that may work but it's off in the distance....

Let me throw this line out there though to see if anyone else is working on it or has thoughts or information on it:

So, here is my thought. Chasing each of these card and writing drivers for them would be a monumental task. Even doing one might prove to be so time consuming as to be prohibitive.

So, while I did say before that I think it's possible, I don't think it's the most efficient use of our time.

Now, on the other hand we do have some advantages to play with here. Apple isn't like windows, to those with the time a patience the inner workings of OSX are fairly well transparent. Also, while it's not the same as Linux (and STFU with your "it's based of BSD" {censored} and just listen for a minute!) they are both based off of Unix and do share a number of similarities. What we also have is a pretty complete set of drivers in Linux for all of these graphics cards.

So, maybe we can use this information to our advantage.

Here is what I'm researching. Instead of building all these drivers, perhaps we can come up with a way to build some software that will replace the rendering sytem in OSX or work with the X11 window server to build Xorg into OSX and have it download and implement the proper drivers from the Ubuntu repository.

I think this would be possible, what I don't know is if it would result in a fast well functioning alternative to simply writing the drivers, but it looks like it would require coming up with a bit of hybrid version of OSX or at least a program which once installed would hijack the window server or operate over the current rendering environment.

If anyone has any information on this, if anyone else has attempted it or is currently working on it or would like to participate, feel free to contact me via a private message.

As for the rest of you, if you have working systems and don't want to help others trying to find new solutions and generate new workarounds, get the F off the forums and stop harassing people who are trying to explore different solutions. I don't care how many PCs you have put OSX on, if you think anything is ever impossible in the world of computing you don't know the first thing about modding or hacking.

• 1 year later...