[05-16-11] Dual NVidia 8600m GT SLI laptop Dual display HDMI / Internal working together

ludacrisvp

99 posts in this topic

Now when I setup my system if I used EFI strings it would make my system not work with all extensions.

I would advise that you remove the EFI strings if you want to have it work.

1. You will only have 1 card recognized as having 256mb of ram, the other card will have no ram at all. Under OSX you only want to have 1 card that is seen by the system. By removing the EFI string and only using the injector it will add the 256mb of ram to the one card and leave the other one at 0mb. Your EFI string added 256mb of ram to the card that has no ram according to OSX and did nothing to the card that has 32mb according to OSX.

2. You can add "Graphics Mode"="1440x900x32" to your boot flags manually by editing the com.apple.Boot.plist or by typing it in at boot everytime. This will effect your boot resolution and wont really matter in the end once you have full graphical acceleration.

3. You could but I personally think it would be a big waste of your time if your goal is QE/CI.

Which post did you take the extensions from?

I just want to make sure you didn't try the kexts for snow leopard that really would not work on leopard.

These are the ones I use in 10.5.2

Geforce.kext.zip

NVinject.kext.zip

NVDANV50Hal.kext.zip

NVDAResman.kext

When you installed Leo4All did you select anything under the graphics section?

I was only able to get things working properly without selecting anything in there and manually making the changes to the kexts and getting a modified version of nvinject that I have posted above. So you may need to reinstall and make sure NOTHING is selected under the graphics area. Then install these, repair permissions and boot with -f.

I followed the steps from this post Pre-Install Automator v1.1

I made a partition large enough to copy the retail DVD that I bought for my Mac Pro to the hard drive and made the changes that the guide suggests and booted from the hard drive DVD image and installed it via that partition.

One downfall of Snow Leopard is that we don't have sound again. Otherwise it seems to be fully functional and its nice to have a system that we can update via software update and so far none of them break our install.

So follow that guide and then install snow leo. It will finish installing and it will say that the install failed but it does work fine, just restart and boot snow leo.

Then install the kexts from my earlier post for SL 64bit kexts and that should give you everything but sound.

One quick note is that under 32 bit mode I wasn't getting QE/CI and I did get a KP after using the system for a while.

The nice thing about Chameleon RC3 is that it defaults SL to boot in 64 bit mode so its nothing you need to really worry about.

Sound did not work under 32 bit mode either.

Thank You for the prompt replay,

I will try a new installation with the kext you attached now but the link for "NVDAResman.kext" seems to be broken.

The Kext I've downloaded before was these:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a042570/n/Working_Kexts_rar (from your post #28 Jan 28 2009, 10:05 PM)

And NVDARresman.kext caused me a Kernel Panic.

Thank you so much for help

Thanks for the prompt replay. During the weekend I'll try to install SL. :D

Ok I understand the missing of sound but what's about wifi and webcam?

The webcam is the same as before for me. To be honest I never really have used one. The blue light is lit up like the camera is

supposed to be on like it did in Leo but there is no image. Maybe there was a way to make it work and maybe not I didn't make

the webcam any sort of priority.

For WiFi I would assume that the Intel 4965abgn card still has no support.

I changed out my wifi card to the dell 1390 mini pcie card long ago. It has native airport support without modifying any wifi kexts.

The card cost me like $15 US on eBay, I would recommend it to everyone.

Buy the card, remove or cover the 20th pin on the card so that it will power up in our laptop, take out 4 screws from the keyboard,

take out the 2 screws holding in the old card and put this one in, reconnect 2 of the 3 antenna wires and screw it all back together.

Boot up and enjoy Wifi.

Thank You for the prompt replay,

I will try a new installation with the kext you attached now but the link for "NVDAResman.kext" seems to be broken.

The Kext I've downloaded before was these:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a042570/n/Working_Kexts_rar (from your post #28 Jan 28 2009, 10:05 PM)

And NVDARresman.kext caused me a Kernel Panic.

Thank you so much for help

The one from that file should work for you after you reinstall without adding any graphics kexts.

I did fix the link, insanely mac kept adding {censored} to the beginning of the link that was breaking it.

Well sound now works.

Simple steps to sound -

1. Remove AppleHDA.kext (it is apparently interfering with VoodooHDA.kext in SL)

2. Install VoodooHDA64.kext VoodooHDA64.kext.zip 3. Rebuild kext cache or just reboot with -f

4. Enjoy sound, notice that sound get corrupted upon resume from sleep.

I am working on some more DSDT modifications to try and get us to a more complete looking install.

I have added some of the audio information to populate the system profiler.

I have added some information to the power adapter section hoping for native battery support.

I also added the graphics information but it isnt coming through into osx so I am going to move it to another location inside the DSDT and see if that works.

I am also trying to get Lid closing sleep to work natively along with backlight controls working. I noticed that if I press Scroll Lock or Pause Break I get the brightness OSD but I can't go up or down.

All these still need some work but I am working on them.

Well sound now works.

Simple steps to sound -

1. Remove AppleHDA.kext (it is apparently interfering with VoodooHDA.kext in SL)

2. Install VoodooHDA64.kext VoodooHDA64.kext.zip 3. Rebuild kext cache or just reboot with -f

4. Enjoy sound, notice that sound get corrupted upon resume from sleep.

I am working on some more DSDT modifications to try and get us to a more complete looking install.

I have added some of the audio information to populate the system profiler.

I have added some information to the power adapter section hoping for native battery support.

I also added the graphics information but it isnt coming through into osx so I am going to move it to another location inside the DSDT and see if that works.

I am also trying to get Lid closing sleep to work natively along with backlight controls working. I noticed that if I press Scroll Lock or Pause Break I get the brightness OSD but I can't go up or down.

All these still need some work but I am working on them.

Thank you.

You make my life easier ... You are really great. :thumbsup_anim:

I'll try today to install SL. Let's hope... :(

Good news :):D :D

Just installed Snow Leopard on my Toshiba Satellite X200.

Under 64bit I confirm that graphic card is correctly detected and support QE/CI.

Also sound is working correctly.

My only point is now that Realtek 8187B USB wireless adapter doesn't works because of the 64bit kext missing.

I will try to find something next days.

Thanks again to ludacrisvp for his help.

Hi Toshiba guys :hysterical: !

I'm reporting another successful installation of Snow Leopard on my Toshiba Satellite X200-21K (PSPBUE). I've already updated to 10.6.1 and so far i have no Kernel Panics (KP).

Here is my small report to community - how i did it.

I've used one External USB HDD (for Leopard installation and for restoring SnowLeopard retail DVD). I've also used one normal 256MB USB key to boot from it.

I've partitioned all disks used (External HDD, boot USB, and internal notebook HDD) using disk utility and used GPT partition scheme!

1) On my External USB HDD I have 2 partitions:

- one for my Leopard (10.5.7 )

- one for Snow Leopard installation (restored from retail DVD)

2) On my Internal HDD I have 2 partitions ALSO!!!

- first for SL

- second for Windows 7 (RTM)

a)First I've installed 10.5.7 iAtkos distribution on my external USB HDD.

:hysterical: Than I restored Snow Leopard DVD on second partition of USB HDD.

c) Than I've installed Boot Think 2.3.18 onto my 256 USB boot key - and put there all kext's which I've had at that moment.

d)Than I've booted my notebook from my USB key and installed from Snow Leopard Install partition (look c)

Note: I've booted with 64 bit kexts and I've forget to enter (-x32 -v -legacy) boot options… as described in so many tutorials around the net. Luckily installation completed with no errors.

e) Than I've installed Windows 7 (choosed Advanced at installation and formatted partiton)

f) Than I've collected all possible infos about kext for 64bit SL. And installed on my USB key.

g) I've removed BootThink from my USB and installed Chameleon 2 RC3 on it.

-------------------------

At the moment I have full QE/CI running on my SL 10.6.1 (256 RAM used).

I have fully working sound (didn't tested external mic, and headphones).

I have working keyboard and tracking pad (tapping doesn't work)

Ethernet is working (didn't work until I've applied DSDT.aml)

Internal Wifi - I wont event try to figured that out - because there is no working driver for Intel 4956.

Web Cam - doesn't work - and i don't need it.

Finger Print reader and SD/Flash cards reader - i don't need that at the moment.

--------------------------

If I want to boot into Snow Leopard - than I must boot up my notebook with boot USB key.

I'm using this method because - I didn't find any "dual boot" working solution for GPT partitioned drive. I've tried and installed at least 10-15 times both Win7 and SL. I've used Chameleon 2 RC1, RC2, RC3 tried to boot from EFI - tried Windows boot loader,….. none of them worked for me - or at least I wasn't able to figure it out.

---------------------------

Here is my collection of kexts. Inside you will find com.apple.boot.plist and DSDT.aml.

-------------------------

I've used kexts and read tutorials from this forum, this thread and from PraSys blog.

And special thanx goes to ludacrisvp - which made my Graphic card and my sound working! Thank you!

Tamau Jabuk

Hi Tamau Jabuk,

it's nice to see that the Toshiba {censored} are growing....

A couple of question:

Hi Tamau Jabuk,

it's nice to see that the Toshiba {censored} are growing....

A couple of question:

- Im running 64 bit with no problems. But because my dlink dwl-g122 does'nt have 64bit drivers yet, i'm running mostly on 32 bit. Also with no problems.

- I have http://www.qnap.com/pro_detail_feature.asp?p_id=83 Qnap ts-209 NAS, and when i'm in 32 bit (via WIFI) than shares are normaly shown in Finder.

- But I'm not very sure if shares are shown when I'm connected via ethernet cable. I'll try tonight and I'll check out.

I don't have any macs in my home network to test that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone ,

Here you have one more Toshiba Satellite X200-21k

I have been reading this long post, and want to try to install Snow Leopard.

Since now i thought it is impossible to install on dual graphic cards.

Now my problem is i am not a pro with kexts, DSDT and all that.

So i'm asking for help how to do it from the beginning.

For more detailes about my laptop look at this LINK

Thank you in advance for all the help i hope i will get :)

Hello everyone ,

Here you have one more Toshiba Satellite X200-21k

I have been reading this long post, and want to try to install Snow Leopard.

Since now i thought it is impossible to install on dual graphic cards.

Now my problem is i am not a pro with kexts, DSDT and all that.

So i'm asking for help how to do it from the beginning.

For more detailes about my laptop look at this LINK

Thank you in advance for all the help i hope i will get

Hi,

I can confirm that SL 10.6 upgraded to 10.6.1 works and QE/CI and sound works too, but i again can't get dual monitor support with injector. With gfx string i posted before, i get dual monitors but no QE/CI. I tried changing NVCAP in nvinject to the one i use in gfx string, and there is no change... I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this.

P.S. ludacrisvp, i've seen that your bluetooth is working in the screenshot you posted, how did you make it work?

Sorry for triple post but I have to share my findings:

I finally got QE/CI and dual monitors working with tweaked NVinject. I have attached binary and source.

If you take a look at the plist, you will see that first card is disabled, that's what i wanted to achieve, but if you have different setup, you could define different properties for each card.

nvinject.zip

nvinject.kext.zip

I can confirm that updating to 10.6.2 worked... last time i updated i had Protector Suite (Biometric fingerprint reader software) installed which caused loginwindow crashes, and i had to reinstall.

@ludacrisvp

I am not sure if HDMI works because i have no HDMI enabled device, but my bets are that it doesn't work because i think second card handles that... I haven't tried enabling second card since i don't use it...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having big troubles with my 8600m GT card configuration... because I'm not an expert, I have some questions..

I have Toshiba X200 - PSPBUE model. Ive sucessfully installed SL (retail 10.6) and updated to 10.6.1 and to 10.6.2.

Im using USB key/flash to boot into SL. I'm using Chameleon 2.0 RC3 bootloader.

What I've tried: (tried both x86 and x86_64 mode)

1) Enabled GraphicsEnabler=Yes in /Volumes/USB/Extra/com.apple.boot.plist

Card is recognised (atleast Chameleon shows something like that: efi_string ... detected Nvidia 8600m GT 256ram ... PCI(0x0)....)

But when OS starts, system profiler shows me that my cards are having only 32 mb ram...

NVD50HAL.kext is loaded during the boot procedure.

Also sometimes my PSkeyboard doesn't work

2) NVinject.kext

I belive that I've downloaded and tried 99% of nvidia*.kext in the world... :star_smile:

I have one nvinject64.kext which runs great in x86_64 mode - but I think there is no QE/CI acceleration, when using this kext.

System profiler shows two cards, one with 256 mb ram. No QE/CI!

3) NVinject.kext - with NVCAP string

I've extracted NVCAP string with OSx86Tools (I know that this tool is written for Leopard).

I've edited info.plist in NVinject64.kext and rebuilded Extensions.kext cache....

System profiler shows two cards, one with 256 mb ram. No QE/CI!

4) EFI string

I've tried a lot of EFI strings (from EFI Studio, from OSX86Tools, from different Websites....)

------------

Questions:

a) How will I know when my card supports QE/CI?

Currently I'm using OpenGL tests - and results are 7-10 FPS - I think this are not accelerated results...

Is there another method - another program?

And yes - I can play Chess - I can move figures... :thumbsup_anim:

:thumbsup_anim: Do I have to change vannila KEXTS? NVD50HAL.kext, Geforce.kext,...

c) CAN someone with working QE/CI post all related material (com.apple.boot.plist, which changes in DSDT,... Working EFI string, proper NVCAP values,... which bootloader are you using... ) which can help.

• 2 months later...
Sorry for triple post but I have to share my findings:

I finally got QE/CI and dual monitors working with tweaked NVinject. I have attached binary and source.

If you take a look at the plist, you will see that first card is disabled, that's what i wanted to achieve, but if you have different setup, you could define different properties for each card.

Hey, I was messing around with the nvinject you posted, mainly the NVCAP values.

It is very close to what my old one was.

There are only 2 differences.

You have a "5" and I have a "3" and

you have a "2" and I have a "C"

with 3C I get no recognition to plugging in HDMI cable

with 52 I get no display on laptop after plugging in HDMI but it comes back on when I unplug the cable.

with 5C or 32 I dont remember which one it was just gives the screen flash from display detection when inserting or removing the HDMI cable.

I do not get any image over HDMI regardless of the settings, unless I boot with HDMI only connected but once OSX loads it goes to a blank screen.

I noticed that you are purposely disabling the "card0" in the nvinject I remember reading that the first card runs the HDMI out.

Do you think that if we use the same NVCAP from "card1" that blanks the screen when HDMI is plugged in we might get Laptop + HDMI + VGA?

Hello can you reupload SL 64bit kexts to http://www.mediafire.com/

as filefactory wont let me download. please

Update: 9/25/09

Still unable to get gfx strings to work on this machine.

I did however get support for qe/ci under both 32 and 64 bit modes using a version of nvinject 0.2.2 that was complied for 64 bit mode and I modified with the proper information in the plist for this laptop. In 64 bit mode the system is about 100fps on aveage better than in 32 bit.

On a side note I did try VoodooHDA for 64bit and it doesn't work for me but the 32 bit one worked in 10.5 not 10.6

Console log shows an error of being unable to open PCI device for the sound system.

Here is a link to the kexts and the DSDT that I am using on my system running 10.6.1 installed from vanilla retail SL updated via software update.

SL 64bit kexts

Update: 9/24/09

Having recently installed my retail copy of Snow Leopard and updating it to 10.6.1 I have found that I have full QE/CI support under 32bit mode using nvinject again.

I will try using GFX strings now and update accordingly.

The system does boot fine in 64bit kernel mode but lacks graphical acceleration because nvinject cannot load in 64bit mode, and therefore only avg 5 fps compared to about 1000 fps in 32bit with nvinject.

I made some changes to the DSDT of this laptop to fix some issues that it suffers from such as the settings in the BIOS going corrupt at every reboot, and some changes to the second graphics device. I need to do some more testing to see if this is what allowed me to get graphical acceleration or if its just a Snow Leo thing.

I will post the DSDT.AML file that I am using.

Kexts I have added to this system are:

Nvinject 0.2.1

AppleACPIPS2Nub

fakesmc

openhaltrestart

voodoopower

voodoobattery

voodoops2controller

Update: 1/28/09

Thanks to some help from steen in recommending to run an older version of OSx than 10.5.6 and the fact that I couldn't find my 10.5.5 disc I found my old Leo4All v3 disc that was 10.5.2.

I installed that version and had to deal with HFS+ Partition errors and used iPC to install the bootloader again and that solved it.

Anyways if you see this post http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1060145 you will find the link to the files I think are needed to allow QE-CI to function.

You need to use the display sleep trick to get full performance from the card.

Resolution changing works, I haven't tried any external monitors or rotation.

About this mac crashes when I try to open it so I am going to re-burn the iDeneb 10.5.5 and copy files over from Leo4all untill I get qe-ci to work in 10.5.5...

Wish me luck :)

And I should have my laptop blu-ray drive installed tomorrow when it comes in the mail. :D

Anyone know why EFI strings will not allow the qe-ci support?

I am hoping to find some help for my new hackbook pro.

I have installed iDeneb 10.5.5 (v1.3)

EDIT - And iPC Beta 10.5.6 no PPF applied

See post #15 for updated information regarding issues.

Laptop is 17" Toshiba Satellite x205-SLI6

2x 8600M GT (SLI) 256Mb each

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5Ghz

4Gb DDR2-667 EDIT - Added another GB of ram to make 4 total.

2x 200Gb 7200RPM SATA

I tried using nvinject 0.2.1, nvinject GO, "nvidia universal installer.mpkg"

Leading me to nowhere...

While booting with -v i can see that it does load or tries to load,

NVDANV50HAL.kext

and

GeForce.kext

and

NVDAResman.kext

and that it shows running the inject twice, I am assuming once for each graphics card.

It will Kernel Panic if all 3 kexts above are installed.

I have modified them for my device ID, I copied them from my Mac Pro 10.5.5 and made the changes for the cards I have. (0x040710de)

In order to boot I need to remove one of the above kexts, leading me to this

Then it just loads with no kext loaded under system profiler where it does see both graphics cards.

I then decided to try using EFI strings to get things going instead of using an injector.

I used EFI Studio that came with iDeneb and it does work for one of the cards (See 3rd post for how to have both cards)

Both of the cards have 256mb of video ram, however system profiler only sees 32mb on the first card (darwin sees 14mb)

This is the first card:

Display:

Type:	Display
	 Bus:	PCIe
	 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
	 VRAM (Total):	32 MB
	 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
	 Device ID:	0x0407
	 Revision ID:	0x00a1
	 Kernel Extension Info:	No Kext Loaded
	 Displays:
   Display:
	 Resolution:	1680 x 1050
	 Depth:	32-bit Color
	 Core Image:	Software
	 Main Display:	Yes
	 Mirror:	Off
	 Online:	Yes
	 Quartz Extreme:	Not Supported
	 QuartzGL:	Supported

And the Second Card:

nVidia GeForce 8600 GT:

Chipset Model:	nVidia GeForce 8600 GT
	 Type:	Display
	 Bus:	PCIe
	 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
	 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
	 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
	 Device ID:	0x0407
	 Revision ID:	0x00a1
	 ROM Revision:	nVidia GeForce 8600 GT OpenGL Engine [EFI]
	 Displays:
   Display Connector:
   Display Connector:

What it looks like to me is that EFI Studio only generates the EFI string for one card,

and it is not the card that OSX is choosing to run off of.

Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

Hey, I was able to update to 10,6,3 perfectly fine. I installed it rebooted, I removed AppleHDA.kext then rebooted again. That fixed sound again. I will note that I only boot in 64 bit mode and am using the nvinject posted that has dual monitor support. I also am updated to the latest chameleon bootloader. I think its 2.0 RC4. I also have tweaked my DSDT more than you might have done so that might be a reason, or because I removed the Intel 4965abgn card and the original built in Bluetooth card. Both have been replaced internally with ones that work.

Hey, nice to read about you again.

It's very stange I have already update a couple of time after I installed SL using your DSDT (we have the same Notebook exept for the wireless card). All the time everything has gone well. This time at the very first reboot my system gets stuck with the wheel spinning endless.

If I use -v flag at the boot this is the screen I get

post-161747-1272026977_thumb.jpg

I also boot in 64bit mode and I'm not really sure what nvinject I'm using (I can check if needed).

Any chance to solve the problem?

Thanks again.

Hey, nice to read about you again.

It's very stange I have already update a couple of time after I installed SL using your DSDT (we have the same Notebook exept for the wireless card). All the time everything has gone well. This time at the very first reboot my system gets stuck with the wheel spinning endless. If I use -v flag at the boot this is the screen I getpost-161747-1272026977_thumb.jpgI also boot in 64bit mode and I'm not really sure what nvinject I'm using (I can check if needed).

Any chance to solve the problem?

Thanks again.

I would try booting with -f to force a rebuild of your extensions.mkext for some reason it looks like its freezing waiting for DSMOS to arrive.

If that doesn't work you could try to delete the DSMOS kext in Snow/Extra/Extensions or in System/Library/Extensions but make sure you have FakeSMC.kext installed into those locations.

I don't have DSMOS.kext in my system at all, Dont Steal Mac OSX.kext is in S/L/E. I do have fakesmc.kext in my extra/extensions folder only.