Can't install programs (specifically World of Warcraft)

Yukichansama

12 posts in this topic

I just got iDeneb working, running 10.5.5, and finally got the sound and the ethernet card running (ASUS P5K-SE EPU motherboard).

But for some reason, I can't install World of Warcraft. I have the original DVD, and the new download, and neither will do anything, at all.

I double-click on the installer icon and it just sits there.

I'm concerned that this will turn out to be the same for other programs as well. I haven't been able to try installing anything else yet, but I'll try tonight after work.

Has anyone else run into this issue, and if so, how did you solve it?

Thank you for any help and advice!

If you're clicking the .exe, it's not going to do anything, as that's a Windows installer. You need to find and run installer.app

If you don't have it on the original CD, then you'll need to download WoW again from Blizzard. Making sure you click the Mac version. I had to download the Mac client because I lost my disks when I moved.

If you're clicking the .exe, it's not going to do anything, as that's a Windows installer. You need to find and run installer.app

If you don't have it on the original CD, then you'll need to download WoW again from Blizzard. Making sure you click the Mac version. I had to download the Mac client because I lost my disks when I moved.

I've downloaded the latest client, and have the original DVD, and neither of them have an installer.app that will do anything when I double click on them. :/

When I double-click on 'World of Warcraft (OS X).app', it just sits there. I tried going into the file, and running the Installer piece in the file, but again, other than showing a failed attempt at running a script, nothing happens.

What is the text of the script error?

If you're downloading just the 2.4.0 or 3.0.2 patch file; that's not it. You need to get the so-called "demo" installer.

WoW Classic: https://signup.worldofwarcraft.com/trial/freetrial.html

TBC: You're going to have to login to your WoW account on WorldOfWarcraft.com and on the main page, there'll be a "download" link right above your subscription status.

Make sure you click "Mac".

Yukichansama and I have the same problem and I have been working on finding a solution for the last couple of days with no luck. This is what I have done and found out so far.

• I have tried to install with my old CDs the one I got with the game when it was first released. No joy.
  • I then tried to download the trial client from the website (took forever). Still no joy.
  • I then over night downloaded the full client and the burning crusade expansion. Still no joy.
  • I went to game stop and bought the 14 day trial CD for $1.99. Still no joy and I want my $2.15 back yes I included the Tax.

After doing some digging I found out that the WOW installer is a PowerPC file. You can see this when you right click or option click on it and hit get info. it says. "Kind: Application (PowerPC)" This would be the problem as I am sure you also have an Intel system there :)

I also have iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 installed and it would seem that its a problem with this distro that needs to be patched so that PPC files can launch. World of Warcraft attained full Intel compatibility after patch 1.9.4 however you still have to install it using a PPC installer which makes no sense to me. If someone can make a custom installer for the game which I dont even know if its possible then that would be great and solve this issue. I personally will try installing Kalyway 10.5.2 when I get back home to see if that has better compatibility with PPC installers. Hope you guys find a solution if possible. I like iDeneb cause its already 10.5.5 but I wont sacrifice access to Azeroth for it.

Riotz

PS. Can anyone let us know if Rosetta is messed up in iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5???

I didn't realize it was a PowerPC installer that runs on Rosetta. Huh. I just checked mine, and my classic WoW is a PowerPC installer.

I would guess something is messed up with your Rosetta implementation somewhere, just like you guessed.

I would try the iATKOS 4.1i disk as well if I was you. I have it on my system, and I can do vanilla updates from Apple with no tricks, and WoW installed just fine.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...