Grey Screen of Death?

7 posts in this topic

All,

My wonderful wife bought me a 24", 3.06GHz iMac that arrived yesterday. I powered it up, then proceeded to import my

Time Machine backup from my Hackintosh. Two hours and change later, I'm up and running, with all my settings. But there

are a few things that don't look right. First off, the computer seems to be running very slow (i.e. minimizing a window

is far from instant). Second, the computer doesn't recognize my Admin password from the Hackintosh.

So I decide to bite the bullet and re-install Leopard with the factory disks, then will re-import my applications and

documents manually or at the very least one set at a time to make sure I don't mess it up. So I pop in the factory DVD

and proceed to reboot. I hear the boot tone. Then a greyish screen that makes it look like the LCD is lit, but barely.

then nothing. I unplug my USB devices (all of them), start again. Same thing. Not even at the Apple logo, or the gear

icon. Nothing but grey.

I'm pretty sure I hear the DVD drive spinning (hard to tell as this thing is so quiet!). I tried hitting the C key when

booting, the option key, even some weird option + C + whatever else I found searching on the net. Nothing but grey

screen.

My theory: Something I imported from the Hackintosh broke the new OS. I had the Hackintosh set up with a Windows XP

partition for using PARRALLELS.

I just found out that you can eject the DVD by holding the mouse button when booting, so I will try that when I get home

tonight - to see if it will boot off the HDD.

Other than that, I'm looking at some quality time on the phone with Apple tech support.

That is of course unless someone here has a better idea?

Thanks in advance

Bender

So I pop in the factory DVD and proceed to reboot. I hear the boot tone. Then a greyish screen that makes it look like the LCD is lit, but barely. then nothing.

Assuming you were pressing the "C" (to boot from the CD/DVD) I'm going to guess you didn't wait long enough. The time interval is "disturbing", to say the least, freaked me out my first time.

*I would not be doing a restore from a Hackentosh*

thanks for the tips guys. I tried these and still nothing. I called Apple tech support and they had me trying the same things, still doesn't work. I've got an appointment for sunday with an Apple Genius at the local Apple store.

I'll post their verdict when I get it - might be helpful for someone else.

thanks again

Pascal

OK, it turned out it really was something from the Hackintosh restore. The genius hooked up a firewire drive an booted off of it, then ran all kinds of diagnostics on the iMac and everyghitng checked out. Re-installed Leopard and everything is fine. The guy was laughing when I explained to him what I did - what's he going to say? In reality, my Hackintosh is the reason why I forked over $2K to get the real thing, so it worked out pretty well for Apple...

But I have to admit I was disapointed that the fact that something that could be wrong with the OS install will prevent you from booting from the CD/DVD. That is weak. I will have to purchase a firewire drive and build it with the OS, to make sure I'm not stuck like this again. As well, I think I will print a little cheat sheet with the numerous keys/options to hit during startup to enable diffferent modes. I'm used to having the computer tell you what key to hit to get in the BIOS, then F8 for Windows (which brings up the menu), etc.. this whole "hold the mouse button while you boot" is a little out of my comfort zone.

I restored my user account and my applications from the Hackintosh, it seems everything is fine now.

I have to say I was impressed with the technical staff at the Apple store - they know their stuff and aren't just there to take your information and forward your machine to the factory.

Thanks everyone

Bender077

I was disapointed that the fact that something that could be wrong with the OS install will prevent you from booting from the CD/DVD.

Each, and every, hardrive has a boot sector. Info in the boot sector interacts with your bios (Hackentosh) to allow the computer to boot, Macs don't work quite the same way, very likely, when presented with a bunch of {censored} (in the boot sector) your shiny new Mac didn't know what to do. The only thing "broken" was what you broke by the complete importation of your Hackentosh. Because you do not own another "real" Mac you could not "heal" your install (target disk mode), iMacs are not easily disassembled to remove the hardrive for external repair (writing 0's to the drive with the hardrive manufacturers utilities), and you do not have a "bootable" firewire external drive.

The "ideal", once you are all installed to your liking on your new Mac, would be to clone your install to an external firewire hardrive, putting it away just in case such a situation presents itself in the future.