2nd hdd (ide) makes os x crash!

JBLanteigne

11 posts in this topic

It took me a while to be sure of what made my installation crash but now I know. My 2nd hdd, which I use for back up, storage, data, etc.. crash my os x. It is the only IDE device in my machine (in fact, its the old hdd from my old machine) and its formatted in FAT32.

I have no idea how to fix this but I would like to be able to fully use that hdd.

also, I got a 2nd problem with os x. It doesn't seem to keep track of time.. the clock keep desynchronising itself.

Well, since it is my 2nd hdd it shouldn't be set to master.

I have two hdd, one sata on which i have my os x partition. and the 2nd one is the ide drive, formated in fat32, filled with data. If I remember correctly, the jumper is on "cable select".

Cable select is a little tricky and requires a cable that supports it. Also, having more than one drive does not mean that the second has to be set to slave unless they are both on the same channel (same cable).

I would recommend that you set your 2nd drive to master via pin jumper and connect it to the end of the IDE cable.

ohh yes.. you are right.. since they use different cable it doesn't have to be a slave, I didn't think of that.

Thanks, I will try that, however it is going to be hard to know if it fixed my problem or not because it does not crash right away, it randomly crashes.

Thanks I will try that right away.

edit: it did not fix my problem ;)

How much memory do you have? If it is more then 3g, the IDE would crash. I had the same problem.

If you have 4gig memory like me, put a line "maxmem=3072" in com.apple.Boot.plist using osx86tools would fix the problem or switch to all SATA, disable the IDE controller in Bios.

Also you can try this .kext which is supposed to fix it some people say it works others have no luck with it and try the mprime257 at the link below to put the system under high load this should cause a kernel panic if the problem still exists. For the time problem search on "45nm chip time problems" if I remember correctly some people have said using Chameleon for the boot loader solves it.

http://www.mersenne.org/gimps/

kext_for_JMicron_ATA.zip

Chameleon_1.0.11_installer.dmg.zip

How much memory do you have? If it is more then 3g, the IDE would crash. I had the same problem.

If you have 4gig memory like me, put a line "maxmem=3072" in com.apple.Boot.plist using osx86tools would fix the problem or switch to all SATA, disable the IDE controller in Bios.

Yes I have 4gb, I did not know that it could crash IDE drives.. I think I would prefer to just buy another drive than stick with only 3gb, I kinda need the ram.

Also you can try this .kext which is supposed to fix it some people say it works others have no luck with it and try the mprime257 at the link below to put the system under high load this should cause a kernel panic if the problem still exists. For the time problem search on "45nm chip time problems" if I remember correctly some people have said using Chameleon for the boot loader solves it.

http://www.mersenne.org/gimps/

Which .kext am I supposed to try?

and thx for the info on the time problem, I'm gonna check all this out once I have the time. This hackintosh is so close to perfection...

Yes I have 4gb, I did not know that it could crash IDE drives.. I think I would prefer to just buy another drive than stick with only 3gb, I kinda need the ram.

It is not that it crashes the drive it is the Jmicron IDE controller/driver for it that goes wonky once the ram in use passes the 32bit limit the SATA version of it works perfectly fine in AHCI mode your probably better off with a new SATA drive anyways this gets rid of the problem entirely.

Which .kext am I supposed to try?

kext_for_Jmicron_ATA.zip I attached to the post..

Urgent!

I did try Chameleon to get rid of the clock problem.

My hdd had 2 partitions one of about 40gb with a kalyway install and one of about 400gb with a retail dvd install, this is the installation that I obviously use the most.

Now I installed Chameleon on that partition and rebooted..

and it the hdd did not boot at all after verifying the DMI pool data or something

I need help!!