No partitions show up during install

knifeyspoony

9 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've followed the prep instructions from one of the guides on this site's Wiki. I'm able to boot into the OS X installer natively and select a language. But when it comes time to select a partition, no entries show up in the dialog box.

I'm using the new 10.4.5 prepatched DVD. My HDD is SATA configured in BIOS as IDE. I have a VIA chipset, so the SATA controller should be compatible, according to the Technical FAQ.

Thanks,

ks

There is other posts of people with VIA chipset unable to install Tiger onto a SATA disk, some of them have been able to recognize the SATA disk, after installation, without any other task but other people had to load the AppleVIAATA.kext extension.

Sounds very much like last night's installation problem:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=13330

Hmm. I ran Disk Utility, and it can't see my hard drive either.

You may need to have your harddrive preformatted to Mac OS X Journaled (HFS+ I think)

Do you mean my entire drive, or just the applicable partition? Wouldn't the installer at least be able to see my hard drive at this point, and identify it as empty or formatted with some unknown file system? Also, is there any way to preformat my drive in HFS+ without having OS X installed already?

There is other posts of people with VIA chipset unable to install Tiger onto a SATA disk, some of them have been able to recognize the SATA disk, after installation, without any other task but other people had to load the AppleVIAATA.kext extension.

Maybe I'll pick up an IDE HDD and see if that works. (VMWare doesn't seem to work with this prepatched image.)

Thanks, everyone!

All the guides I've read have me label the partition as HFS+ with diskpart, not format it. Or is that what is meant by formatting?

Label? Whoever wrote the guide has some English language problems.

You want to format your target partition to Mac OS Extended (HFS+). Formatting effectively erases whatever was there before by writting something empty index table that is use to keep track of where files are on the partition:

http://www.sharpened.net/glossary/definition.php?format

Hmm. I ran Disk Utility, and it can't see my hard drive either.

I sounds like you are having the Via chipset problem

Do you mean my entire drive, or just the applicable partition?

Just your target partition.

Also, is there any way to preformat my drive in HFS+ without having OS X installed already?
That is what you are trying do, but otherwise you would need a machine running OS X to do it.

Maybe I'll pick up an IDE HDD and see if that works.

Good idea.