Boot time.

AndrewNZ

17 posts in this topic

A quick comparison between my G5 tower and my Hackintosh as regards their respective times to boot to the desktop from the push of the start button.

G5 - 55 seconds.

Hackintosh - 36 seconds. (The 36 seconds is an average of 5x timed starts - best start was 31 seconds.)

Vista - 58 seconds.

From pushing the power button until the spinning sphincter appears takes 22 seconds on average. So on my Hackintosh box, the loading of OS X proper takes ~14 seconds. That is, taking out the POST time for CMOS and AHCI BIOS loads. I don't know how to speed that up without starting in IDE mode and bypassing the AHCI BIOS altogether. Then NCQ and SMART monitoring will not function I suppose.

As an aside, when I have lots of folders and files on my desktop, the boot time appears to be fractionally longer, as it is when the external data drive is switched on. Makes sense I imagine. More things for the system to find and prepare for.

G5 is a dual 2.0GHz PPC with 4.5GB RAM and a single 250GB HDD - running Tiger 10.4.11

HIT is a Core2Duo 2.2GHz PC (O/C to 3.0GHz) with 4.0 GB RAM and 1x 250GB HDD, 2x 120GB HDDs and 1x 500GB ESATA HDD - running Leopard 10.5.5.

How does your rig compare?

Mizuki rig in sig:

Windows Vista Ultimate x64: Under a minute[about 30-45 seconds, not accurately timed].

Leopard 10.5.4[typo as .5 in sig]: Less than 30 seconds after the grey apple screen appears.

Mizuki rig in sig:

Windows Vista Ultimate x64: Under a minute[about 30-45 seconds, not accurately timed].

Leopard 10.5.4[typo as .5 in sig]: Less than 30 seconds after the grey apple screen appears.

So, how long does it take from button press to the moment when the grey Apple screen appears? Any idea?

(BTW, interesting spelling of 'grey'... obviously not a Yank. :unsure: )

Grey, Gray, same thing. Toe-may-to, Toe-mah-to, same thing.

Button press meaning when I hit the power switch? No idea. I'll time it later when a torrent I'm getting is done[about 30 minutes].

Hokily dokily.

So where did you learn to spell? UK? Commonwealth someplace? Mind my own business? :unsure:

I'm from the USA, but I try to use UK spellings when possible. Dialect? Not so much. But spellings? UK.

So you write English rather than 'Merican. Good for you. I tend to do the opposite, simply 'cos I get tired of being 'corrected' by good ole boys "thinkin' ah's made an awful mis-take". So I surely appreciate your efforts to bridge the divide, Korrupted. :unsure:

Lol, no problem.

Vista from cold start to desktop: 51 seconds

Leopard " " " " ": 36 seconds

36 seconds eh? I see a pattern forming...

(Oh, OK, a sample of 2 doesn't validate a pattern, but hey, it's late and my mind isn't what it was. And even when it was, it really wasn't so much... )

My Vista installation is around 50-55 seconds. Quickest being 50.

hackintosh - Quickest 20 seconds. Averaging around 22 seconds.

Hi Ardman,

Can you confirm that you're not booting the Hackintosh in AHCI mode?

When I boot with AHCI on, the AHCI BIOS takes 10 seconds to load itself which extends the POST to around 16 seconds or so. If you're using AHCI, then I guess you're seeing OS X itself load in 4 - 6 seconds which is spectacularly fast! My Mac, admittedly a PPC G5, takes a heck of a lot longer. Kinda makes you wonder why the genuine Apple kit is so much slower to boot.

Interesting. Maybe somebody out there knows the answer...

Haven't tested the Vista loading time on this box, but I'll do that in a moment and post the results in my thread-starter.

Cheers.