Steve gives thumbs down for Apple Netbook.

Maxintosh

38 posts in this topic

I'll bet it does.

But does your acer notebook sport an aluminum casing? Or a led backlit screen? Is it as light as the new Macbooks? Is the keyboard as good? Does it come with a nifty little remote? Can you update over time without having to worry that something will break? How about the battery?

I simply cannot understand why people seem to think that a computer is as good as the sum of the hardware components. It just goes to show how us pc-users have come to accept the total lack of design and finish.

Hang on a sec! With the iMac range, I agree, but not with the MacBooks. How people came to accept the mediocre quality of the previous generation of MacBook screens is beyond any Photoshop user rash enough to have bought one online without seeing it first. You were better off with the cheaper Acer and a memory upgrade. I am a Mac fanboy but the moment the MacBooks started appearing in regular computer stores next to cheap Acers, the game was up on that bewildering cost saving exercise. The MacBook Air's screen - lovely; the Acer - not too bad; the previous generation MacBook... colour a little washed out. Hopeless for color matching. I love Steve to bits but that was one of his biggest screw ups, in my opinion. The new MacBook screens are gorgeous and only a handful of new PC laptops that I have seen come close. I would still urge everyone to try before you buy, though. For instance, I typed away on the keyboard for forty minutes and though it took some getting used to, I loathed it. Despair. I am used to IBMs. I even prefer most Acer laptop keyboards, though definitely not a 'soggy/spongy' one. Try it, it's livable with but if I see something with a Mac logo, I expect better. What annoys me silly about MacBooks, and something that Apple haven't addressed with the new aluminum models, is the sharp leading edge of the laptop's body, which is to say the feel of it against the palm of your hand if your palm happens to rest against it. It's sharp rather than smooth. If someone tried to mug you for your new MacBook, you could do them serious damage to that fool. Some might prefer plastic on a cold day. Also, that cheap Acer, though now nowhere as good, at least often comes with Firewire for those Firewire products that Steve urged us all to invest in...

Would I like one? Hmm, perfect screen, good looks, decent battery life. Hell, yes, but with an external Cherry brand keyboard... which doesn't exactly make it portable. Try before you buy.

I'm surprised Apple haven't jumped on the Netbook wagon, yet. Though the iTouch's screen is small I would choose one over a netbook if they bumped up the storage and bought out a decent foldaway screen for it.

There is definitely room for a netbook computer in the Apple product lineup. A no-frills, thicker but small plastic item to compete with Acer, MSI, etc.

No, you say? Apple doesn't build low end stuff? Then explain the Mac Mini.

Apple should make a MiniBook. Not thin, not aluminum, and not high priced.

If there is room for a Mac Mini beside the Mac Pro, then there is room for a NetBook Mini beside the MacBook.

C'mon Jobs. Do it. Margin be damned. Get market share!

I compare my Aspire One with my wife's MacBook, and if I was travelling, I'd take the Aspire every time.

A correction to my post above. The new MacBook's screen seems actually to be on par with my Acer 4720z, a whisker brighter, but much better than the previous MacBooks. It is the new MacBook Pro that has razor sharpness on top of the new MacBooks improved color fidelity. I played around with the former a little more. The keyboard grows on you a bit, it's not a cause of typos but I can type much quicker on office IBM laptops and, more importantly, still feel like continuing to type hours later, much prefer their tactile feel if I have to be away from a desktop keyboard.

I think the real reason Jobs isn't interested in doing a netbook is that Apple already makes one (sort of); with a 13.3" display, too (which is clearly superior to the 8-10" screens on most netbooks). It's called the Macbook Air. And they can charge $1799/unit for it, and get it, because it's clearly different. Like most netbooks, it has no built-in optical drive. And it's really light and portable. If you think of it, the Macbook Air is like a netbook that's been flattened out by a steamroller. A really powerful (relatively speaking) netbook, but nonetheless a glorified netbook.

So Apple's netbook retails for $1800 and the other netbooks retail $400~$500.

While I see your point, I don't agree, Coolied.

The MacBook Air is a niche product, but its not a netbook. A netbook should be under $600 with a ~10" screen.

So Apple's netbook retails for $1800 and the other netbooks retail $400~$500.

While I see your point, I don't agree, Coolied.

The MacBook Air is a niche product, but its not a netbook. A netbook should be under $600 with a ~10" screen.

Right. But it's as close to a netbook as Apple is willing to go, i'd bet. Mostly due to the fact that they can get $1300-$1400 more for it. Even if Apple did design a true 10" netbook, i'd be willing to wager it would cost closer to $1000 than $500.

I'm thinking that apple is just buying time before they release the equivalent of a 10" iphone. An who wouldn't want that?!! :smoke:

oh, and by the way... they've already filed for the patents of said device (source: engadget a few months ago)

I'm thinking that apple is just buying time before they release the equivalent of a 10" iphone. An who wouldn't want that?!!

This makes sense as Steve has said many times that the iPhone did most of what a netbook does. It would be a natural progression. Also, just because they have a patent doesn't mean much. Apple has a ton of patents that are just sitting in a safe somewhere. They like to patent things and then not use them :P A perfect example is all the patents that they have for a tablet computer, but no tablet computer has (sadly) ever been released from them :)