Help me build a dual boot gaming/rendering machine

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I finally can afford to build a proper Hackintosh, rather than the old Dell that i experimented on, so i would like to hear any opinions on this hardware.

• £339.99 Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
  • £139.99 OCZ 16GB (4x4GB) PC2-6400C5 Quad Channel Vista Series DDR2
  • £159.99 Asus Maximus II Formula Intel P45 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
  • £139.99 Corsair HX 1000W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Compliant PSU (CMPSU-1000HXUK)
  • £119.99 LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray Rewriter & HD-DVD ROM Serial ATA Drive - OEM
  • £65.99 Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103UJ)

For Graphics cards i'm undecided i have three options

• 9800 gtx (ala AquaMac)
  • 280 gtx (which i'd really prefer but im not sure if they work with osx86)
  • A different card that you guys suggest

The reason i would like to go with the 280 gtx is because when i run the computer in windows, i would like to be able to run SLI.

I know that this is possible with 2 9800gtxs but i'd rather have the latest hardware possible.

Any help would be really appreciated

Paul

EDIT: OH {censored}!

I just realized that the asus maximus only supports x-fire and not sli, and then after reading further...sli isnt possilble on a p45 board at all.

So what crossfire cards should i go for then? i'd prefer the 4870x2 if it is possible.

NOTE: The graphics card must support Dvi-d as i'll be using it with a 30" inch ACD

Well if gaming with it is your primary interest, you'd probably be better off with the 3.16 ghz dual core, rather than a quad core. Since the Dual Cores tend to overclock better (fewer cores to get wonky and lower heat dissipation) and essentially no games take advantage of a quad core chip. It is also significantly cheaper. I got one for about £85 in the US, even if it doesn't look like cost is a primary consideration.

It's probably not a great idea to try an SLI or Crossfire setup for a Mac, there's no driver support for it under OSX, but I haven't really looked around here to see if people have gotten it to work.

The other thing to consider is that the next gen Intel chips/MBs are right around the corner. They are going to be pricey and it's likely that they're not going to be hackintosh compatable initially, but given that you have the bucks for it (something in the £150-£250 range for the MB, probably similar prices to the current high end chips for the processors), it is worth considering. But hey! You could have the opportunity to play Guinea pig!