Dell Inspiron 1520/1720

sektor

10 posts in this topic

Looks like there is a few of us here that have inspiron 1520/1720 laptops, I know there a couple of dell topics floating around the message boards but they are of to broad of a spectrum and contain quite a few posts. Hopefully this should help a little I have an Inspiron 1720 I have read all the topics I can find tried a few of the suggestions, but I still can't seem to get my sound to work as well as a few other things. Those of us that have 1720 laptops and have it working fairly well can you post some suggestions like what image you guys used driver packages, etc... Maybe we can create some sort of howto of the posts.

dell inspiron 1720 first download Acronis Disk Director 10.0 make a new partition in windows (for me as large as possible not using windows) format using fat 32 name it reboot to windows now download to a flash drive or cd, dell labtop post installer v1.3.1 download here 1http://www.mediafire.com/?mznhkm52yqn then download nvinstaller v4.1 download here www.mediafire.com/?sjd9fasl9do I used ToH Rc2 install by entering the boot menu press f12 at the dell startup screen select cd/dvd when it starts up select language now to go utilities and disk utility select your partition the name should show up select erase and volume format Mac Os 'Extended(journaled) name it exit and continue with install select disk to install on follow instructions, select customize and select what you want printers or extra languages and x11 select continue skip checking disk now wait when finished install before restart happens seconds counting down select utilities, terminal and type /usr/misc/script. sh nameofdisk and what ever you called the disk you install on exit and wait for reboot follow the steps and your almost there now install the dell labtop post installer and select only the sound drvier sigmatel 9205 and broadcom 440x ethernet exit select applications, utilities, disk utilities select your partition and repair permissions exit and now install nvinstaller select only the vanilla 256mb and m/go drivers plus the kext updates reboot everything will work. the only problem I have is restart and shutdown don't work but you can just hold the power botton, the pointer sometimes moves to the bottom of the screen, and I haven't been able to find and system udates to 10.5.2 etc but all the other updates work. NOTE I WOULD TRY AND USE ideneb v1.3 10.5.5 because once you install toh rc2 it seems that you can't install and other versions osx86's like ideneb that are more up to date. I wish I known this because I tried to install ideneb and even with no hard drives just booted from the disk with -v and -v -x and just went to a screen showing the toh kernel that everything was alright and does nothing maybe someone out there can tell me how to get rid of it also I don't know how to get it to dual boot there's no drawin bootloader to select select what os you want ot boot to by pressing f8 it just boot right in to os x but it boots fast mine takes about 4 seconds. tell me if you got it to work with ideneb you may not need the invinstaller for it but the dell labtop post installer for sure.

I used iatkos 4i, which is 10.5.4and got pretty good results, no sound however and I have the latest version of dell post installer I did try installing just sigmatel 9205 drivers still no sound, ethernet works, sleep works I believe I used the 9.4 kernel in the post installer I will go through the exact stuff I selected later today and see what you think. In regards to your issue try booting -v -F.

dell inspiron 1720 first download

1. Acronis Disk Director 10.0 make a new partition in windows (for me as large as possible not using windows) format using fat 32 name it reboot to windows.

2. now download to a flash drive or cd, dell labtop post installer v1.3.1 download here http://www.mediafire.com/?mznhkm52yqn.

3. then download nvinstaller v4.1 download here www.mediafire.com/?sjd9fasl9do.

4. I used ToH Rc2(is this the iso you used) install by entering the boot menu press f12 at the dell startup screen select cd/dvd when it starts up select language now to go utilities and disk utility select your partition the name should show up select erase and volume format Mac Os 'Extended(journaled) name it exit.

5. continue with install select disk to install on follow instructions, select customize and select what you want printers or extra languages and x11 select continue skip checking disk now wait when finished install

6. before restart happens seconds counting down select utilities, terminal and type /usr/misc/script. sh nameofdisk and what ever you called the disk you install on exit and wait for reboot.

7. follow the steps and your almost there now install the dell labtop post installer and select only the sound drvier sigmatel 9205 and broadcom 440x ethernet exit select applications, utilities, disk utilities select your partition and repair permissions exit and now install nvinstaller select only the vanilla 256mb and m/go drivers plus the kext updates reboot everything will work.

the only problem I have is restart and shutdown don't work but you can just hold the power botton, the pointer sometimes moves to the bottom of the screen, and I haven't been able to find and system udates to 10.5.2 etc but all the other updates work.

NOTE I WOULD TRY AND USE ideneb v1.3 10.5.5 because once you install toh rc2 it seems that you can't install and other versions osx86's like ideneb that are more up to date. I wish I known this because I tried to install ideneb and even with no hard drives just booted from the disk with -v and -v -x and just went to a screen showing the toh kernel that everything was alright and does nothing maybe someone out there can tell me how to get rid of it also I don't know how to get it to dual boot there's no drawin bootloader to select select what os you want ot boot to by pressing f8 it just boot right in to os x but it boots fast mine takes about 4 seconds. tell me if you got it to work with ideneb you may not need the invinstaller for it but the dell labtop post installer for sure.

• 5 weeks later...

hi,

I have an Inspiron 1720, I haven`t tried installing but my ultimate goal is to switch from my desktop hack to this one.. I will let you all know my progress.. I am going to try:

Ideneb 10.5.5

iAtkos v4i

Kalyway 10.5.2

Leo4All V1.3

Are their any specific BIOS settings that need to be in place first before i try?

cheers,

• 4 weeks later...

Update on my progress with a Dell Inspiron 1720.

Ideneb 10.5.5 - Will not boot installer

iAtkos v4i - Boots installer but will not boot on first after installation

Kalyway 10.5.2 - Boots installer but will not boot on first after installation

Leo4All V1.3 - Boots installer but will not boot on first after installation

Still trying some others but for now i`m not getting anywhere :)

• 3 weeks later...

Dude,

Use Kalyway 10.5.2 it works. Just update to what you want from there. I didn't go past 10.5.3 as the graffix drives don't seem to work the latest updates - nvidia 8600m gt.

I tried some others that were newer and they would not boot.

I have a 1520 15" and it shouldn't be much diff than the 17 cept for the screen. I got sound and everything working- upgraded the wireless to N broadcom.

Dude,

Use Kalyway 10.5.2 it works. Just update to what you want from there. I didn't go past 10.5.3 as the graffix drives don't seem to work the latest updates - nvidia 8600m gt.

I tried some others that were newer and they would not boot.

I have a 1520 15" and it shouldn't be much diff than the 17 cept for the screen. I got sound and everything working- upgraded the wireless to N broadcom.

I have 10.5.5 installed with qi and core image working I used the latest nvinject v.51 I haven't gotten the vga out working though

I installed iAtkos 10.5.4 .It's a little hit and miss when you install .... if after install it shows the darwin loader then reboots it hasn't installed the Kernel .. I just reboot the installer and drop to the shell and copy the kernel from the dvd to the root of the install hdd this lets you reboot .then I use the dell post installer to install the correct kernel