Best new high-end laptop to run hackintosh?

14 posts in this topic

I searched for the "best laptop to run hackintosh threads" and most are either old or specifically ask for cheaper laptops and netbooks.

I am looking for some of the 18.4 and 17 inch models (like Sony AW series, HP HD18, Dell XPS 1730, Acer Gemstone 8930 and others). I want an Intel 9400 or 9500 with dual hard drives (one for XP or Vista, the other for OSX). The HCL for 10.5.2 seems to have mainly older models (no Centrino 2 with Penryn CPU).

Has anybody been able to get a high-end laptop fully functional (graphics, LAN, WiFi...).

Any help would be appreciated.

The problem is that the "new" 17inch MBP is really not that new (DDR2 memory, old graphics card).

None of the MBP offer things like fingerprint reader, built-in TV, Blu-Ray or dual internal hard drives, SD reader ...

If I spend $2500 to 3000 I want all those things.

Maybe there will be a really new 17inch MBP before X-Mas, but that is just speculation at this point.

Mac doesn't offer bluray anyways. And, the new macbook pro that starts at $2000, has DDR3 memory, nvidia 9400+an nvidia 9600 for SLI which is new in the notebook world. A lot of high end laptops don't have built in TV, just a smart card or usb that has cable, or RBG ports. For dual internal drives, again, most don't. Things like SD reader, or fingerprint reader, you can just get a usb port for it. I just personally don't see the point in getting a laptop for about 2k to put osx86 on it, and possibly run into troubles with it, when you can just buy a real mac that offers pretty good hardware, and not run into troubles with the OS. Now, do you need 17-inch exacly? I'd lose 2 inches and go for the 15-inch macbooks for ddr3, and hybrid SLI. It's odd though how Apple did the MB and MBP line...

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop...pro?mco=MTE4NDY

My current Dell has the 1920x1200 resolution and the 15inch MBP's are all low res. The other thing that ticks me off is the mini-displayport with the $99 adapter to run at the 2560x1600 resolution (dual-link DVI).

If I hook up the fingerprint reader, external USB TV, external harddrive, SD reader (possibly external Blu-Ray) to the low res 15inch MBP, I will run out of USB port and the whole contraption will be unwieldy and heavy, negating any benefits of a light MBP.

It is clear that Apple does not want Blu-Ray drives as they want to sell overpriced iTunes movies.

So my question still stands if anybody was able to get hackintosh running on one the newer high-quality laptops (including the Gateway P-7811FX, Sony AW, HP HDX18, Acer Gemstone 8930...).

• 1 month later...

I like to have options.

I bought an HP HDX 18t. There is nothing comparable on the Apple side (18.4 inch screen, 16x9, dual 500GB HD, SD+MS reader, TV tuner, Bluray player, HDMI output to my TV...).

I will try all the different versions of hackintosh to see if I can get it to work.

What I do not understand is people arguing against trying that or for buying a Mac on a hackintosh forum???

I like to have options.

I bought an HP HDX 18t. There is nothing comparable on the Apple side (18.4 inch screen, 16x9, dual 500GB HD, SD+MS reader, TV tuner, Bluray player, HDMI output to my TV...).

I will try all the different versions of hackintosh to see if I can get it to work.

What I do not understand is people arguing against trying that or for buying a Mac on a hackintosh forum???

That is not a laptop, that is a desktop that folds in half.

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes. I'd recommend trying iDeneb 10.5.4, and if that fails, Kalyway then Leo4All. Find out what exact key components your laptop has, so you know what drivers to try. Do a lot of research, because laptop Hacks are tricky.

No one is arguing against you trying it, just pointing out the contradiction that if you want all the PC functions to work with a Mac, it's unlikely (BluRay, TV tuner for example- forget it) and yet if you want a fully functional Mac laptop, there's nothing that beats an actual MacBook.

Please give it a try and let us know how it goes. I'd recommend trying iDeneb 10.5.4, and if that fails, Kalyway then Leo4All. Find out what exact key components your laptop has, so you know what drivers to try. Do a lot of research, because laptop Hacks are tricky.

No one is arguing against you trying it, just pointing out the contradiction that if you want all the PC functions to work with a Mac, it's unlikely (BluRay, TV tuner for example- forget it) and yet if you want a fully functional Mac laptop, there's nothing that beats an actual MacBook.

Thanks.

That was the first useful comment.

In fact I popped in iDened 10.5.4 with all default settings and I got past the Welcome Animation and to the point where it said that the keyboard was not recognized. I think I could have made it work with USB keyboard and mouse. I was surprised to get that far on the first try without having made any adjustments. I will experiment some more when I have more time.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...