GA-EP45-DS4P, boot-turbo-munkey + LS8v14, 10.5.5 retail

sigsegv

8 posts in this topic

This is how I installed retail Mac OS X onto:

CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9550

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS4P (audio: alc889a)

Video: GeForce 8600GT

SATA DVD and Hard drive.

Thanks to:

munkey, boot loader

LS8, install pack

netkas, EFIStudio

Zoka, boot-132 cd

Prerequisites

• I don't know how to apply the 10.5.5 combo update without using the "install from another install" method. Meaning, You need either 2 hard drives, 2 partitions on a single hard drive, or another computer running Mac OS that can mount your hard drive.
    The method I discuss is 2 partitions on a single drive.
  • GUID Partition table.
  • Hardware:
    GA-EP45-DS4P motherboard
    SATA DVD-R and hard drive.
  • BIOS Settings:
    Enable onboard AHCI controller and Azalea audio.
  • grub-dfe
    Download grub-dfe.iso from Zoka's Post on DFE's BOOT-132 RT, burn it to a cd.
    Use this cd to boot into a retail mac osx install dvd or a fresh 10.5 installation.
  • LS8's install pack, LS8v14.zip
    LS8v14 released
  • munkey's boot loader, efi_boot_v5.1.zip
    Read this entire post. Booting from an EFI partition allows you to leave /System/Library/Extensions alone, you will now store (almost) all system patches on your boot volume. I don't discuss how to set this up in my post.
    [Guide] Boot from EFI partition

Installation

1. Boot from retail Install DVD using grub-dfe boot cd.
  2. Partition destination drive. Open Disk Utility.app
    • Use GUID partition table, make at least 2 partitions.
    • Label partition #2 "BackupOrSomething"
    • label partition #1 "MyComputerNameThing"

[*]Install OS to the "BackupOrSomething" partition.

[*]Boot from your hard drive using the grub-dfe boot cd.

[*]The default installation is really buggy, Disable all energy saver setting right away

[*]Install OS to partition #1 from retail DVD.

[*]Download 10.5.5 Combo update from apple. Install to partition #1.

[*]Hack the update.

• Remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement
    sudo mv /Volumes/MyComputer/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Volumes/MyComputer/vanilla/

• Remove AppleHDA
    sudo mv /Volumes/MyComputer/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext /Volumes/MyComputer/vanilla/

• Install ALCinject and AppleHDA v1.2.9a4 from LS8v14.zip
    sudo cp -R kext/ALCinject/ALCinject.kext /Volumes/MyComputer/System/Library/Extensions/
     sudo cp -R kext/AppleHDA/1.2.9a4/AppleHDA.kext /Volumes/MyComputer/System/Library/Extensions/

• Repair permissions
    sudo diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/MyComputer/

[*]EFI partition boot loader.

• RTF [Guide] Boot from EFI partition
  • Create an EFI boot partition using stuff from munkey's efi_boot_v5.1.zip
  • Copy the following files to /Volumes/EFI/Extensions from LS8v14.zip
    example. `sudo cp -R kext/dsmos/dsmos.kext /Volumes/EFI/Extensions`
     kext/AppleSMBIOS/AppleSMBIOS.kext
     kext/AppleACPIPlatform/AppleACPIPlatform.kext
     kext/IOATAFamily/IOATAFamily.kext
     kext/JMicronATA/JMicronATA.kext
     kext/IONetworkingFamily/IONetworkingFamily.kext
     kext/dsmos/dsmos.kext

• Create /Volumes/EFI/com.apple.Boot.plist
    Run EFIStudio
     Select graphics card, add.
     Select AZAL audio, add.
     Make sure you save your boot.plist to your EFI boot partition.

• Run update.sh and unmount

[*]That's it. Reboot and good luck

Problems

1. Internal hard drives are recognized as external.
    I don't know how to fix this yet.
  2. Probably will find some more.

References

[*]The default installation is really buggy, Disable all energy saver setting right away

I am interested in this board and your post, esp. since the board has 2x pci-e (16/8) plus an extra pci-e (x4)... perfect for high-powered video cards and still with an extra x4 slot for REAL raid cards...

Soooo I was curious why you state that the "default install is buggy" ...? The post you mention at the end (Zoka's post) seems to contradict that.

Your method seems odd for another reason: adding alcinject but then using efi-strings? Or does the update.sh remove the alcinject?

But great, if you've got it running stable, please post any updates on performance or other tweaks!

cheers, ninetto

This is how I installed retail Mac OS X onto:

Prerequisites

• I don't know how to apply the 10.5.5 combo update without using the "install from another install" method. Meaning, You need either 2 hard drives, 2 partitions on a single hard drive, or another computer running Mac OS that can mount your hard drive.

Could you please explain a bit more about why you used this method? Did you get errors when trying to install using regular method?

Hi

Hope this is a suitable place to post my question as I have spent many hours looking for answers!

I have the GA-EP45-DS3P board and followed the instructions from the top post (although used a JAS install and ISO images rather than a bunch of disks) & have a pretty functioning system (2* SATA ok, digital sound ok, geforce 8600GT 512MB mainly ok). I have a couple of items I can not work out and was hoping someone could point in the right direction.

1. Main problem is my IDE drives are not recognised at all all (1x HDD, 1x DVD). I am guessing that either need another kext or needs something added to a plist to find it. From the manual it is iTE IT8213 chip.

2. The other issue I have is the geforce 8600GT 512MB - I used the EFI studio to include the hex string in the com.apple.boot.plist & it seems to load ok but whenever I change the resolution in system preferences it goes to a blue screen & I need to restart - when it restarts it works and selects the correct resolution. Its not a major issue but indicates all is not right. I do not know where to start looking

3. Prior to install of osx I had a SATA disk with vista & ubuntu & JAS installed with grub bootloader on MBR format disk. When I did the install I used a new disk and formatted with GUID/EFI and AHCI and had no real problems with this. The only issue I have is I need to use the BIOS boot selector to choose the appropriate drive to boot (either osx or grub for vista/etc). What I would ideally like to do is use grub on the MBR disk to boot the OSX/EFi as well. From what I can tell grub does not recognise the format of the GUID disk & I have not been able to work out if there is an easy way to do what I want to do.

Any help much appreciated (I have tried to find answers by there is so much information in the huge threads I get lost)

Michael

2. The other issue I have is the geforce 8600GT 512MB - I used the EFI studio to include the hex string in the com.apple.boot.plist & it seems to load ok but whenever I change the resolution in system preferences it goes to a blue screen & I need to restart - when it restarts it works and selects the correct resolution. Its not a major issue but indicates all is not right. I do not know where to start looking

Have you tried using NVInject?

• 2 months later...
1. Main problem is my IDE drives are not recognised at all all (1x HDD, 1x DVD). I am guessing that either need another kext or needs something added to a plist to find it. From the manual it is iTE IT8213 chip.

Michael

Hi , this forum is great...

Any update,solution,kext for the it8213 chip... ?

greets ...

• 3 months later...