New HDD for OSX86 - which one?

7 posts in this topic

Ok guys. I was here back in the day of Tiger where it was all a nightmare to get sorted.

However I hear since the release of iDeneb v1.3 and Leopard, installing OSX on a PC is a piece of cake.

I, however have one problem. I have 2 SATA harddrives that are stuck in RAID 0 with windows on them. If I partition them for OSX i loose everything.

The easiest way of overcoming this problem is simple. I shall buy a new harddrive.

Now, I am far from being a computing noob however, OSX86 is somewhat new to me.

It would be appreciated if someone would point me in the right direction of a harddrive according to my system specs

Mobo: Asus P5N E-SLI

GPU: 8800GTS 640mb (G80)

CPU: E6750

HDD: 2x Hitatchi SATA 160gb

Do I get a IDE HDD or a SATA one? Also, does it need to be of a set size and rpm?

If someone could point me in the right direction and tell me if my PC is compatible it would be much appreciated as I am currently getting iDeneb v1.3

Ok guys. I was here back in the day of Tiger where it was all a nightmare to get sorted.

However I hear since the release of iDeneb v1.3 and Leopard, installing OSX on a PC is a piece of cake.

I, however have one problem. I have 2 SATA harddrives that are stuck in RAID 0 with windows on them. If I partition them for OSX i loose everything.

The easiest way of overcoming this problem is simple. I shall buy a new harddrive.

Now, I am far from being a computing noob however, OSX86 is somewhat new to me.

It would be appreciated if someone would point me in the right direction of a harddrive according to my system specs

Mobo: Asus P5N E-SLI

GPU: 8800GTS 640mb (G80)

CPU: E6750

HDD: 2x Hitatchi SATA 160gb

Do I get a IDE HDD or a SATA one? Also, does it need to be of a set size and rpm?

If someone could point me in the right direction and tell me if my PC is compatible it would be much appreciated as I am currently getting iDeneb v1.3

It shouldn't make a difference, but I'd go for SATA. iDeneb IS a piece of cake, though you'll need a few pointers at first to get everything running as should. basically, at least for me, there were a few BIOS changes I needed to make, such as No Execute Memory Protect enabled, and above all, changing the ACPI Suspend type to S1. When you install, be sure to run Disk Utility, partition it with MacOS Journaled, and set it for Master Boot Record (see the options when partitioning).

People here are very helpful and enthusiastic, so if you run into any troubles, just ask (though see the stickies as most of the info is already answered and highlighted).