Updating to 10.5.5

shotta90

16 posts in this topic

Not a pro but have experimented with a few OS’. I understand that there are a few instructions on updating but I know that there are really! Really!! new people out there who are having trouble so I write this note with others work, credit to you if your work appear here since I don’t know who are the true owners.

Assuming: that you download the update you need [ If you want to update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 you only need the 10.5.5 update. Otherwise you will need the combo update for any other versions.] on your desktop and Leopard = name of your installation; admin = your login name.

Open Disk Utility and leave it open for later

Open terminal type: cd /Volumes/Leopard/

Hit Enter

Type: cp mach_kernel /Volumes/Leopard/Users/admin/Desktop/

Hit Enter

sudo –s

Type: your password {if you don’t have one go to Accounts and create one}

Hit Enter

Type: while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Hit Enter

Open 10.5.X Update Installer

Run update BUT DO NOT RESTART when finish

Go back to your terminal and press Control C

Type: cd /Volumes/Leopard/Users/admin/Desktop/

Hit Enter

Type: cp mach_kernel /Volumes/Leopard/

Hit Enter

Repair you’re your disk permission in Disk Utility then restart.

i'm currently running iATKOS 4.1i 10.5.4 Intel - fully vanilla install [kernel, acpi, smbios] aside from the battery fix and broadcom440 ethernet drivers.

tried your cumulative method of install, and upon rebooting back to the sign in screen i saw a quick flash of blue, and then my monitor shut off. i am assuming my lcd panel is going to sleep. i was able to enter my password, and boot onto the desktop [i could hear my expose corners making noise as i hit them while i moved my mouse around]. hit the power button, then hit enter and the system shut down.

ended up booting from the dvd and using a time machine backup to restore, then booting off the dvd again with -s and doing a darwin at the bash prompt, and checking everything with fdisk afterward. still had no boot prompt, so i re-loaded the dvd and installed both darwin and chameleon. and here i am.

going to try a couple of different things and see what happens.

firstly, i'm going to make backups of my gma950 drivers from this install. second, i'm going to try and see if i can set one of my expose corners to wake up my lcd panel after i boot into the os like before. i've seen this spoken about in a few different threads on a few different boards.

going to take a look at the Voodoo XNU-DEV 9.4.0 beta_1 kernel before i attempt another upgrade install, and see how it runs [and if i can get both my cores running smoothly with no boot precursors].

also going to see if i can help with the new Voodoo XNU beta_2 for 10.5.5 [kernel 9.5.0] with any logs if i can manage to get a smooth update to 10.5.5

either way... here goes nothing.

If you want to update from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5 you only need the 10.5.5 update. Otherwise you will need the combo update for any other versions. I have use the update on iATKOS 4.1i 10.5.4 Intel and work fine. if for any reason you can not boot after update simple boot with your installation DVD then copy that kernel to your /Volumes/Leopard/ and repair you permissions. From what I have have seen your kernel is your key to start up and that why its critical to use the kernel we know work.

I just typed this two lines from the above post in the Terminal windows.

Sudo -s

your password then

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Upgraded from 10.5.4 to 10.5.5, zero problem.

the update starts fine but it gets to like 90% writing files and then I get a kernal panic. what am I doing wrong?

You might have a compatibility issue usually display or your configuration while installing. what is your configuration?

Are you sure you type the command correctly?

You should have a bash-3.2# prompt before you type the second line. After that you should only have small t blank rectangle in the terminal window monitoring the system.

It worked ok with me.

By the way, I donwloaded the update to my hard drive first and then I update.

Are you using the software update from Apple directly? I am not sure if it will work that way.

please can someone forward me to the simple and efficient way of upgrading to 10.5.3 from 10.5.2 ???

the method about should work if you get the 10.5.3 update (not combo) or you may need kalyway's " kalyway hackintosh10.5.3 combo update for sse3 intel only !

READ Carefully !!!!

1- install comboupdate ! don't restart !

2- install kalyway kernel pkg ! choose kernel you need for your pc ! (if you want keep your old 9.2 kernel so install this pkg without selecting 9.3 kernel !!!)

3- reboot and type update -v and cross the fingers !

if you stuck at bsd root after reboot ! so type "update -v" without quote at f8 darwin prompt ! it should work !

caution : you may experienced boot problem related to gfx card ! especially with 7xxx nvidia series and ati ! if happen type -v -x

try this update at you own risk !!!!!!!! " I dont have a link, but i know it worked

I have another interesting hiccup. Toshiba P105 running 10.5.2. Followed the same directions for 10.5.3 update using combo10.5.5 update. Installation went well. On reboot followed directions for -v switch but did not get the Mach_Kill signal. I noticed my USBPCI is not loading.

Rebooted with -v switch again, went right in and to desktop. Either my keyboard/mouse aren't loading or I'm frozen. Tried safe boot, no dice.

Mouse stuck in upper left corner with no response.

Even tried a few bios changes, still nothing.

Any suggestions, anyone?

I have another interesting hiccup. Toshiba P105 running 10.5.2. Followed the same directions for 10.5.3 update using combo10.5.5 update. Installation went well. On reboot followed directions for -v switch but did not get the Mach_Kill signal. I noticed my USBPCI is not loading.

Rebooted with -v switch again, went right in and to desktop. Either my keyboard/mouse aren't loading or I'm frozen. Tried safe boot, no dice.

Mouse stuck in upper left corner with no response.

Even tried a few bios changes, still nothing.

Any suggestions, anyone?

jviner I have seen something like this before when I have tried several releases of Leo on a Gateway MX3560 and I had finally got 10.5.4 (iATKOS) on then update to 10.5.5 using update only and even get the wifi working. I would suggest try using the same when your lappy is not so Hot, it matters and burn your installation DVD no faster than 6X slower is better then you can update to 10.5.5.

thanks for the suggestions, but i m really new to all this so can you please give me the links to the updates and other related files that are needed to update from Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 n then uptil 10.5.5

Also a step by step guide will be really appreciated :)

Thanks for the help :(

thanks for the suggestions, but i m really new to all this so can you please give me the links to the updates and other related files that are needed to update from Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.3 n then uptil 10.5.5

Also a step by step guide will be really appreciated :)

Thanks for the help :(

I don't have a link, and there are no specific links, ["we want to keep this forum a friendly and free place for you to discuss the things that matter to you the most. In order for us to do this, we have to take the common sense measures to protect you and ourselves."].

It won´t work for me, I end up in a "still waiting for root device" error when the Computer reboots after the 10.5.5 Upgrade.

My spec´s are:

-Iatkos V4.0i

-Kernel-Version Darwin 9.4.0

-IHC5X support installed

-NVINJECT installed

-Intel P4 @ 3Ghz

-MSI 865PE Neo 3 Mainboard

-1 GIG Ram

Has anyone an Idea why It ends up in "still waiting for root device"?