Help me build a monster hackintosh for recording use.

51 posts in this topic

i read the guide. thnx man. but i want to understand perfectly :( if I buy the intel q9550 and the ga-ep45 the only things that i have to install is the retail original leopard or i have to have also kalyway or other patched version? and what about the graphic card? which model do u suggest? i want the 8800gt with 512mb but is hard to find. thanks for the attention I really appreciate ur quickness in the answers :D

there are two methods to install a retail versions. boot-132 or from an other leo install. I used for the small install kalway 10.5.1 . this kalyway has many useful tools on board and was the only patched version that worked ootb for this mainboard. 8800 gt should work - search the forum for more infos.

Damn, THIS is some interesting stuff. I finally got to work Leo on my config (check sign). Next step is to build something to replace the MacPro. I have my retail Leopard and I'd like to use it, but I can't do so on AMD.

Just one question: the MoBos you're talking about support 2 CPU's, right? When you talk about using a 4core instead of an 8core, you mean using 1 CPU Quad or 2 CPUs Dual ? (Dumb question, I know... but better be sure :star_smile: )

Damn, THIS is some interesting stuff. I finally got to work Leo on my config (check sign). Next step is to build something to replace the MacPro. I have my retail Leopard and I'd like to use it, but I can't do so on AMD.

Just one question: the MoBos you're talking about support 2 CPU's, right? When you talk about using a 4core instead of an 8core, you mean using 1 CPU Quad or 2 CPUs Dual ? (Dumb question, I know... but better be sure :D )

only socket 771 support two cpu´s - we are talking meanwhile about a 775 board.

for this board I would suggest a retail install. this way you get closer to a real mac and you will have a stable system. a few users had firewire issues with patched versions. the main reason is that a vanilla install is easier to update.since I switched to a clean install I´m really happy with both machines you can see in my sig :P

only socket 771 support two cpu´s - we are talking meanwhile about a 775 board.

Oh, ok. Sorry, my knowledge about Intel platforms is kinda limited. So using a Gygabyte socket 775 board with P45 Chipset should do the trick pretty well, using a Quadcore.

Two more question: Optical drives and HD are SATA or IDE? Is there any trouble using all the ram slot (ex. having 2GBx4 instead of 4GBx2)?

P.S. Check your sign, you forgot to write "GB" in the ram section :wacko:

So I can just download a leopard retail disc? And where is a guide to isntalling a retail version of leopard? I thought it needed to be patched inorder to use it on a PC.

I think peach-os is very subtely and gently suggesting you to buy the retail version of Leopard. And I do the same thing. :wacko:

Or at least use one you already have :wacko:

This said, you can get the retail disk the same way you got the various modified distros (kaly, leo4all, ToH, ecc. ecc.)

Oh, ok. Sorry, my knowledge about Intel platforms is kinda limited. So using a Gygabyte socket 775 board with P45 Chipset should do the trick pretty well, using a Quadcore.

Two more question: Optical drives and HD are SATA or IDE? Is there any trouble using all the ram slot (ex. having 2GBx4 instead of 4GBx2)?

avoid IDE if possible. there is no problem with all the ram. otherwise I wouldn´t use it.

P.S. Check your sign, you forgot to write "GB" in the ram section :)

thanks

I think peach-os is very subtely and gently suggesting you to buy the retail version of Leopard. And I do the same thing. :D

Or at least use one you already have :D

you read between the lines ;)

nevertheless it´s a better choice anyway

I've read the post but still not sure what boot-132 is. Also once I get my hackintosh up and running is their a way I can have this

1) A EZ-Swap drive 1 for leopard and another for XP64?

2) have 2 extra drives setup in raid 0?

..... i want the 8800gt with 512mb but is hard to find. thanks for the attention I really appreciate ur quickness in the answers ;)

Man-oh-man you are correct. Those 8800 GT 512mb are hard to find. Last month they were giving them away...well almost.

Anyway I've found one:

http://www.antonline.com/p_PNY--VCG88512GX...cie-_532511.htm

Hope it helps.

I've read the post but still not sure what boot-132 is. Also once I get my hackintosh up and running is their a way I can have this

1) A EZ-Swap drive 1 for leopard and another for XP64?

2) have 2 extra drives setup in raid 0?

1) yes

2) os x has software-raid on board

but frankly before going that far you should get some experiences with os x. start with a simple install.

if you want read more about it you will find a lot of answers in karaakeha´s guide

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

you will find a lot about boot-132 in this forum - btwy this is a helpful search engine http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00948655...297:e41g72sr-ba

It be really cool if someone would post all hardware needed to create a super hackintosh using the P45.

it´s already in my sig :blink:

God bless Peach. :D

would you mind if I bother you via PM when I'll get my Hw together?

it´s not fun to give answers that could be easily found in the forum.

as long as you really tried before to follow the available guides - of course I would help you

OKay so I heard leopard has a RAID 0 setup which is done using the software. What will happen when I change my

EZ-Swap drive to XP64 and still want 2 drives in RAID 0?

for what EZ-Swap? on a board like the EP45 you have 6 s-ata ports. take fast disks like the AAKS and you don´t need raid.this way you will have another 4ports available. instead of posting question after question you should post what exactly you want to bring it to an end and make you build your machine :D

Peach, do you know what kind of differences there are between the EP45-DS3 and the DS3R version? 'cause I found them at pretty much the same price (actually the R version is cheaper) and I've to decide what to do.

It seems there is no big difference so I would go with the most convenient of the two.

It be really cool if someone would post all hardware needed to create a super hackintosh using the P45.

Here's my list at newegg.com...just switch the Gigagbyte motherboard with the P45 board...but I am partial to the Gigabyte board as it's pretty much plug and play:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...ishListTitle=My

Also I should say my build, see sig below, kicks major but with Photoshop and Lightroom. I can process a couple thousand raw images in very little time...and ties for the top time (23 seconds) using Retouch Artists Photoshop Speed Test: http://www.retouchartists.com/pages/speedtest.html

See results at this page:

http://www.retouchartists.com/pages/results/macpro.html

for what EZ-Swap? on a board like the EP45 you have 6 s-ata ports. take fast disks like the AAKS and you don´t need raid.this way you will have another 4ports available. instead of posting question after question you should post what exactly you want to bring it to an end and make you build your machine :)

Sorry Peach-os. Only asking question because I heard having drives in RAID 0 would increase read time. And the Hackintosh I plan to build is just for music production I not only want to make sure it's stable but fast. I know I can buy raptor drives but they cost way to much. I would like to stay around 1200 if possible. Problem is I really like logic studio but have a lot of plug-ins that only work with PC. So I need the dual platform. I'm asking a lot of questions because this whole hackintosh thing seems to good to be true. Poor musician like myself can have a MAC without the Mac pro price tag

Sorry Peach-os. Only asking question because I heard having drives in RAID 0 would increase read time. And the Hackintosh I plan to build is just for music production I not only want to make sure it's stable but fast. I know I can buy raptor drives but they cost way to much. I would like to stay around 1200 if possible. Problem is I really like logic studio but have a lot of plug-ins that only work with PC. So I need the dual platform. I'm asking a lot of questions because this whole hackintosh thing seems to good to be true. Poor musician like myself can have a MAC without the Mac pro price tag

Might be best to use an inexpensive raid card...check out these links:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=66345

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=103353

And/Or have Leopard on a bootable raid setup:

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=613