Help me build a monster hackintosh for recording use.

51 posts in this topic

Hey so I just got kalyway running on a cheap acer. Really happy to be running Logic studio finally.

I want to build a super quad core Hackintosh and have dual boot for XP64 as well. I want to use internet on this machine but will have to be able to connect 2 slave Pc's.

Here are my questions:

Will this work

1) Intel P45 mobo?

2) Q9550?

3) I would like to install 16 gigs of ram in this machine. And have 4x250 gig harddrives.

4) I need to be able to use apple remote desktop as well.

Hey so I just got kalyway running on a cheap acer. Really happy to be running Logic studio finally.

I want to build a super quad core Hackintosh and have dual boot for XP64 as well. I want to use internet on this machine but will have to be able to connect 2 slave Pc's.

Here are my questions:

Will this work

1) Intel P45 mobo?

2) Q9550?

3) I would like to install 16 gigs of ram in this machine. And have 4x250 gig harddrives.

4) I need to be able to use apple remote desktop as well.

I really would like to get the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R which supports 16 gigs of ram. Will this mobo work? And what should I be looking for when searching for a compatible mobo?

I don't know if your XP64 will take the 16GB of RAM. The mobo you mentioned will do the job I guess. Try searchin this site, might help you. I think I read a topic lately about that mobo, will have to look ikup though.

Will be back soon with the answer!

EDIT: GA-EP45-DQ6, wich supports 16GB of RAM is a success, ls8 has done the job. Also uses the P45. Hope this will help you.

Regards.

I don't know if your XP64 will take the 16GB of RAM. The mobo you mentioned will do the job I guess. Try searchin this site, might help you. I think I read a topic lately about that mobo, will have to look ikup though.

Will be back soon with the answer!

EDIT: GA-EP45-DQ6, wich supports 16GB of RAM is a success, ls8 has done the job. Also uses the P45. Hope this will help you.

Regards.

awesome great news. now this mobo doesn't have a firewire. Can I just install a PCI E firewire card and will my kalyway 10.5.2 recognize this device?

awesome great news. now this mobo doesn't have a firewire. Can I just install a PCI E firewire card and will my kalyway 10.5.2 recognize this device?

XP64 supports up to 128GB of RAM.

I know a PCI firewire card will work. I've never used a Firewire PCIe card in a Hackintosh though- unless you need some specific model of FW800 known to work, I'd say stick with PCI.

XP64 supports up to 128GB of RAM.

I know a PCI firewire card will work. I've never used a Firewire PCIe card in a Hackintosh though- unless you need some specific model of FW800 known to work, I'd say stick with PCI.

Thanks for the info. So I guess the Q9550 is no problem than and the P45 mobo should work as well. Is their anything else I should consider before I put all my parts together?

afaik you should take a board with a texas instruments firewire chip to avoid problems.

i have here a GA-EP45-DS3 working flawless in a recording studio.

Great news. What audio interface are you using with you hackintosh? And are you using logic studio. If so do you find it stable?

Great news. What audio interface are you using with you hackintosh? And are you using logic studio. If so do you find it stable?

focusrite saffire 26 - of course logic. its stable as it is on a real mac.logic still has some bugs, but I wouldn´t like to work with something else.

@exman - your geekbench is kickin´a** :(

Define a monster Hackintosh?

Well I would like it to be close to the Mac pro 8 core. That's why I wanted to use the P45 mobo because most support 16 gigs of ram. Can I use ddr2 800mhz?

What components would you recomend I use to achieve a Mac pro 8 clone?

focusrite saffire 26 - of course logic. its stable as it is on a real mac.logic still has some bugs, but I wouldn´t like to work with something else.

@exman - your geekbench is kickin´a** :D

I've been thinking about the SAFFIRE PRO 26. I need 16 channels of ADAT to connect 2 Pc slaves. What do you think about it? Would the motu828mkIII be better?

Well I would like it to be close to the Mac pro 8 core. That's why I wanted to use the P45 mobo because most support 16 gigs of ram. Can I use ddr2 800mhz?

It doesn't take much to beat a Mac Pro 8-core. They are really not that fast, 8 cores spread over two CPU's, using very average performing RAM (FBDIMMS) offers only reasonable performance. The cheap RAM you get over the counter performs better. The only situations a Mac Pro 8-core would have an advantage over a good quadcore is in 3D rendering and intense video encoding. You need good applications that can multithread very well. There isn't many around.

I ran a couple of real world photoshop benchmarks over at Macrumors, if you check out the times, my Quadcore is way faster than 8-core Mac Pros, easily 20% faster with four less cores.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p...p;postcount=791

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php...593&page=32

As far as video work goes, I am not sure how a Mac Pro performs in Handbrake, but mine gets 280fps average, ripping a dvd to h.264 mp4. I'd like to see a Mac Pro at-least match that, or come reasonably close to that...if anyone has a genuine Mac Pro and would like to test.

m7xl5j.png

All P45 motherboards should run 16GB of RAM, but it is massively overkill, 8GB is more than enough, and DDR2 800 ram is sufficient. Don't fall for Apple's marketing BS, you don't need 32GB of RAM. Anyone who tells you they need 16GB or 32GB of RAM is either doing some massive commercial/studio project or is a BS artist.

Gigabyte P45 boards work pretty well, Asus' work best with modded BIOS'. The Q9550 is a good CPU, if you can stretch the budget a little, a Q9650 is even better.

All P45 motherboards should run 16GB of RAM, but it is massively overkill, 8GB is more than enough, and DDR2 800 ram is sufficient. Don't fall for Apple's marketing BS, you don't need 32GB of RAM. Anyone who tells you they need 16GB or 32GB of RAM is either doing some massive commercial/studio project or is a BS artist.

Words of wisdom. I'm frequently amazed at the amounts of RAM people think they need (in general). 8GB+ just to web surf and do basic word processing.

I've been thinking about the SAFFIRE PRO 26. I need 16 channels of ADAT to connect 2 Pc slaves. What do you think about it? Would the motu828mkIII be better?

of course you can use 800 mhz. I´m using 8gb and don´t feel that much difference comparing to 4gb.

imho the sound of the saffire is better. the leopard drivers are absolutely stable.

of course you can use 800 mhz. I´m using 8gb and don´t feel that much difference comparing to 4gb.

imho the sound of the saffire is better. the leopard drivers are absolutely stable.

Thanks I think I might purchase the saffire since it's a little cheaper. I want ram because I wanna run EWQL stuff and other ram hungry VSTi. Soon kontakt will be 64 bit.

It doesn't take much to beat a Mac Pro 8-core. They are really not that fast, 8 cores spread over two CPU's, using very average performing RAM (FBDIMMS) offers only reasonable performance. The cheap RAM you get over the counter performs better. The only situations a Mac Pro 8-core would have an advantage over a good quadcore is in 3D rendering and intense video encoding. You need good applications that can multithread very well. There isn't many around.

I ran a couple of real world photoshop benchmarks over at Macrumors, if you check out the times, my Quadcore is way faster than 8-core Mac Pros, easily 20% faster with four less cores.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p...p;postcount=791

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php...593&page=32

As far as video work goes, I am not sure how a Mac Pro performs in Handbrake, but mine gets 280fps average, ripping a dvd to h.264 mp4. I'd like to see a Mac Pro at-least match that, or come reasonably close to that...if anyone has a genuine Mac Pro and would like to test.

m7xl5j.png

Gigabyte P45 boards work pretty well, Asus' work best with modded BIOS'. The Q9550 is a good CPU, if you can stretch the budget a little, a Q9650 is even better.

Thanks for the reply. Is overclocking a hackintosh a bad idea? Becuase I could overclock the Q9550 to 3.4ghz which would make it a monster for speed. Just not sure if it will last long.

Hi there guys, i'm new, and i am watching at hackintosh hopefully.

I wish build up a new hackintosh to save money, but i have few questions.

The system specs that I have in mind are:

processor: intel q9550

mb: which model is better?

ram: 8 gb ddr2 800mhz pc6400

gc: Geforce 8800gt or 9800gt

hdd: 500gb seagate barracuda sata2 3gb

I also ask if it is possible to install Leopard natively or I must installa before win? Any help is appreciate. thanks

The system specs that I have in mind are:

processor: intel q9550

mb: which model is better?

ram: 8 gb ddr2 800mhz pc6400

gc: Geforce 8800gt or 9800gt

hdd: 500gb seagate barracuda sata2 3gb

I also ask if it is possible to install Leopard natively or I must installa before win? Any help is appreciate. thanks

I'm partial to Gigabyte motherboards as many of the components, such as sound + ethernet, are supported by Leopard.

Here's my NewEgg wish list...components are pretty much what I'm running now except for a new processor and motherboard.

Not sure about the 9800 GT....might want to ask around.

and what about the Asus p5w dh deluxe?

the p5w is a perfect board - for me it´s working 100%......but

1. meanwhile very hard to get one

2. the GA-EP45 boards are working 99% perfect with possible 16gb of ram, 45nm support, faster frontsidebus.

comparing to that the p5w is a little bit outdated.

the 1% difference: you can´t wake up from sleep with mouse or keyboard - you need to push the power button

the p5w is a perfect board - for me it´s working 100%......but

1. meanwhile very hard to get one

2. the GA-EP45 boards are working 99% perfect with possible 16gb of ram, 45nm support, faster frontsidebus.

comparing to that the p5w is a little bit outdated.

the 1% difference: you can´t wake up from sleep with mouse or keyboard - you need to push the power button

thnx man, in fact the p5w is very hard to find. U know if the gA-ep45 support intel q9550 and the native installation of Leopard original retail dvd? or i have to put kext with kalyway or other release? thanks for the support

thnx man, in fact the p5w is very hard to find. U know if the gA-ep45 support intel q9550 and the native installation of Leopard original retail dvd? or i have to put kext with kalyway or other release? thanks for the support

of course it supports the Q9550

here I wrote a small guide for an easy install

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=883119

for this board you shouldn´t use anything else than retail install. everybody complaining about the 45 chip in this forum used some "lazy" install - with retail it works perfect :)

for this board you shouldn´t use anything else than retail install. everybody complaining about the 45 chip in this forum used some "lazy" install - with retail it works perfect ;)

So are you saying if I buy the gigabyte P45 mobo I can just buy a copy of leopard and it will install? So need need for my kalyway cd?

for this board you shouldn´t use anything else than retail install. everybody complaining about the 45 chip in this forum used some "lazy" install - with retail it works perfect ;)

i read the guide. thnx man. but i want to understand perfectly :) if I buy the intel q9550 and the ga-ep45 the only things that i have to install is the retail original leopard or i have to have also kalyway or other patched version? and what about the graphic card? which model do u suggest? i want the 8800gt with 512mb but is hard to find. thanks for the attention I really appreciate ur quickness in the answers :)