Apple Bootpicker alternative to darwin bootloader

23 posts in this topic

Here's my try with Apple Bootpicker..........

My machine absolutely refused to load Vista!! For some reason it is unable to verify the Spare HDD in order to load it!? :):D

So if it ONLY wants to run MacOSX then I'm going to let it!! :)

No alternative OS'es, so no Bootpicker for me!!!

and this bugs me:

"Depending on the OS choice, the machine either continues with Mac OS X or reboots to the specified OS."

This means you are going to startup your machine and when you're at the login screen, and choose another OS it will shutdown and reboot! To me it just sound like a lot of rebooting(sounds like Microstuff)

this also answers this..."I .....was unable to boot into windows....", It is unable to make the windows drive active or whatever partition you had the other OS on! Like theoption button on a real mac or the choose "Startup Disk2 itONLY works on a Mac, a GENUNE Mac!!!!

SticMAN

I think I got the same result as MacNutty..

Got the Bootpicker and clicked Mac OS, then entered Mac OS X, but dunno about Windows.

Picture attached.

Anyway if that's the case then it CANNOT be an alternative to the Darwin Bootloader. If you are not a noob you should know why.

for those who don't know: Darwin Bootloader gets past the EFI thing required by OS X.

So this one is not loaded at startup... hah so can't be used

Hey cool!

If you enabled Fast User Switching and select Login Window from it, the bootpicker would load too! (Fast user switching can be enabled in the Accounts preference pane in System Preferences)

post-237411-1223795660_thumb.jpg

would it not be possible to create something similar to this using apple scripts and a simple gui? ok, so you start up your computer. leopard starts. up pops a box, 'do you want OS X or windows?' the button saying os x simply closes the window and lets you carry on using your computer and the windows button opens an apple script that changes the active partition on your drive to the windows one and then reboots. the computer starts up again but this time you're in windows. and i imagine a similar thing could be set up in windows? i wouldn't know where to start but if anyone has any ideas i'm all ears.

Marc

I am just trying to say that it should work as same as Darwin / Chamelon boot loader, the only difference should be that it should be GUI as in real macs.

But BootPicker doesn't work that way. It was originally developed by the developer of Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/bootpicker.html) and it works pretty much as EL Massaman described. It actually boots into Leopard then resets the startup drive and reboots. What you seem to be asking for is a graphical seelction utility before OSX boots.

Update: Well I checked out the source code and basically it does a "bless" followed by a "fdisk" to make a partition bootable.

While reading apple guide for boot camp I thing I understood that if I add / select another disk in startup disk option in system preference then I will be getting the same menu to choose the disk. Can anybody tell me how to add disk to startup disk option as no disk is shown in there...

While reading apple guide for boot camp I thing I understood that if I add / select another disk in startup disk option in system preference then I will be getting the same menu to choose the disk. Can anybody tell me how to add disk to startup disk option as no disk is shown in there...

Your on a hack, of course os x isn't going to see anything in startup disk. The graphical bootloader is only available on real macs as of now. pcefi and Chamelon doesn't emulate the whole efi firmware so the graphical bootloader isn't working on hacks as of now, but who knows in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have brought up this topic again as yesterday I installed the Acronis OS selector and got an GUI toolkit before the boot process took place. I was just wondering that if these people (Acronis) could develop a GUI OS selector then why can't any of the gurus try to do the same with the textual Darwin Boot loader? Can it be possible to get the original boot volume chooser from any of the Mac and modify it so that it can run on a Hackintosh? Please if anyone having good knowledge about the booting process of Apple, can please explain me why the GUI boot loader is not possible in Hackintosh?