Linux is Not Windows

Kane Adams

11 posts in this topic

If you've been pointed at this page, then the chances are you're a relatively new Linux user who's having some problems making the switch from Windows to Linux. This causes many problems for many people, hence this article was written. Many individual issues arise from this single problem, so the page is broken down into multiple problem areas.

Read it if you like.

Users jumping head-first into Linux without a real understanding of it is one issue. The other issue is wildly overzealous Linux fanboys who prosylitize and tell unsuspecting users that Linux is the greatest thing ever and MIKKKRO$$$$HAFT SUXXXX on every possible opportunity.

The biggest fallacy is actually the constant 'comparing' of Linux with Windows itself. Two OSes whose underlying base is fundamentally different (AFAIK).

I never quite understood why the Linux community keeps stubbornly 'pointing down' to messy Windows. How about pointing up? Why isn't the more obvious brought more to the front, ie. OSX? That's at least a more appropriate candidate in direct comparison than Windows, technically speaking, roughly at least. Also I reckon (in my fairly limited technical knowledge) that OSX would be the better template in trying to 'recruit' a new audience, along the lines of 'our distro is even easier than OSX'.

Win... say what?

Users jumping head-first into Linux without a real understanding of it is one issue. The other issue is wildly overzealous Linux fanboys who prosylitize and tell unsuspecting users that Linux is the greatest thing ever and MIKKKRO$$$$HAFT SUXXXX on every possible opportunity.

I agree. It is basically what I wrote here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...128347&st=9

I never quite understood why the Linux community keeps stubbornly 'pointing down' to messy Windows. How about pointing up? Why isn't the more obvious brought more to the front, ie. OSX? That's at least a more appropriate candidate in direct comparison than Windows, technically speaking, roughly at least.

Maybe because OS X isn't just an OS that you buy and install on your existing hardware?

Maybe because OS X isn't just an OS that you buy and install on your existing hardware?

Well, that shouldn't stop anybody from making a Linux distro that's as user-oriented and noob-friendly out of the box as OSX, should it? With all the flexibility Linux has to offer it should be far from being an impossibility. Why does it always have to be just as 'user-friendly' as Windows?

Be bold - be better than the best... shouldn't that be the slogan?

Why does it always have to be just as 'user-friendly' as Windows?

Maybe because Windows does a pretty good job in terms of user-friendliness? (it sucks from every other point of view, we know it, but that is another matter).

And besides I find KDE3 even more user-friendly than Windows (KDE is not the entire OS, I know it).

Be bold - be better than the best... shouldn't that be the slogan?

If only the other 99.9% of the world thought like that, who knows what could be accomplished...

sigh

Well written article - love the penultimate paragraph though:

If you really want the security and performance of a Unix-based OS but with a customer-focussed attitude and an world-renowned interface: Buy an Apple Mac. OS X is great. But don't get Linux: It will not do what you want it to do.

:P