ideneb 1.3 "still waiting for root device"

böser hase

10 posts in this topic

hi there,

after setting up the partitions and installing from the dvd i get stuck booting into osx.

i tried all of the boot parameters suggested in a post with a similar problem - "platform=ACPI -v" seemed to get me the best result.

system rundown:

intel core 2 duo cpu

abit ip35 mainboard (the standard one without the additional j-micron sata ports)

1x sata hdd (WD3200AAKS)

1x sata DVD-R (a generic samsung model)

i did not install macos on the first partion, because thats my XP partion and i dont want to reinstall it

so i installed OSX in the 4th partion, and it starts booting.

when using "platform=ACPI -v" i get the following error:

SAM Multimedia: READ or WRITE failed SENSE_KEY = 00x0 ASC = 00x0 ASCQ = 00x0

followed by a "still waiting for root device" ...

-----------------------------

i ran the standard installation and did not select any packages whatsoever.

i did not (actively) select anything during install - as for the boot problem, as far as i can tell it starts booting from the disk, doesn't it?

if it wouldn't would i see the balck screen with the white text when using the -v option, that drops me the error?

cheers,

bh

The board's BIOS throws the kernel up into ram. From there it loads the drivers you installed and then tries to mount the root device. You HAVE to go through the options when you do an install and select which drivers you need. iDeneb works just fine on that motherboard if you select the correct drivers. (You'll have to edit AppleYukon2.kext to get it to recognize your network adapter)

found it, and it's all done =)

i didn't went till the install screen on my first try when looking for the install options, but finally found the customize button. i am typing this from my osx install which runs fine =)

i didn't have to edit the yukon, it worked right "out of the box"

thanks to dr. hurt and unaclocker for pointing me into the right direction!

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem . Still waiting for the root device.

I reinstalled after rechecking my hardware devices, My PC configuration is Intel Core2Duo, 945G motherboard, realtek Sound, REaltek ethernet.

Installed iDeneb 1.3 10.5.5 successfully with following settings..

Checked following for installtion

X11

used default kernel [vanilla 9.5.0]

ICHx fixed

ALC850 Sound driver [here i missed ,my selection was wrong now i dont have sound]

RTL820icl ethernet working properly [ i am sending this from Mac os ]

Default SMBIOS selected [dont select any]

Video Intel GMA950

ok.. install waited for some time ...

restarted..

on loading it take some time [Kalyway 10.5.1 was very fast -- still faster than my Vista]

Now all done ...

except sound

Any way to install sound .. i didnt installing any Applications how to do now...

• 6 months later...

Finally, I got a clean install to mysystem with iDeneb 1.3, but also got while 1st boot this message: Still waiting for root device

Now I'm going to reinstall. Could someone tell what do I need to check for my EP35C-DS3R?

Not working:

Kernel > 9.2.0 Sleep

Now install with defaut + ICHx-fix! Hope it will work!

Finally, I got a clean install to mysystem with iDeneb 1.3, but also got while 1st boot this message: Still waiting for root device

Now I'm going to reinstall. Could someone tell what do I need to check for my EP35C-DS3R?

Not working:

Kernel > 9.2.0 Sleep

Now install with defaut + ICHx-fix! Hope it will work!

Well, by install default Vanilla kernel, ICHxfix and JMicron, while booting typing -f itt did boot, but the screen got blank, could only hear a voice. What do I do now?