EN9800GT Ultimate - no CI/QE - help

djclockwork

6 posts in this topic

So I've been trying to get my hackintosh working and have hit just about every snag out there. I've conquered them all except for this last one: I can't get CI/QE working, and without it, my whole hackitosh is pretty much worthless.

Originally, I had a 9600GT - pretty much the only card available that won't work for this. So, I got a 9800 GT to replace it, having heard that others got it working. Unfortunately...I just had to get the one oddball 9800 GT out there: the Asus EN9800GT Ultimate. It clocks at 725 MHz when all the others clock at 600, and it has 128 stream processors when all the others have 112. Good bang for the buck unless you're trying to hack a mac, evidently. It also has a device ID of 0614 when most other 9800 GT's are a 0605.

I can boot no prob with EFI strings, NVKush, or NVinject, but all three yield the same result: no CI/QE (and also no resolution change options).

My guess is that they aren't seeing it as a 9800 GT, or anything for that matter. Maybe my 9800 bios is weird? Should I change the video bios to make it think it's a regular 9800, or is that pointless. Is there something else going on? How does NVKush or whatever actually decide on which card it is seeing in the PCI slot?

Any help would be much appreciated as I've been on this issue for about a month now...

-clockwork

-------------------------

MB: Asus P5N-D, Q6600, 4GB RAM

Kalyway 10.5.2 -> 10.5.4

http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...=509&page=1

Follow that guide closely and you'll be fine. Use the 8800GT 512mb template download. I have the same card, mine's superclocked as well. Full QE/CI. Its basically an 8800GT with higher clocks, nothing weird about it.

Make sure you remove NVkuch and NVinject out your extensions folder, they'll break the string.

The efi string method works for me, and it boots with the name I give it, correct RAM amount, but still no CI/QE. Nothing I've tried allows for it. Here's what my bootlog spits out (at least the relevant part, I can post the whole thing if necessary):

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

NVDA::probe(display)

NVDA::start(display) <1>

NVDA::start(display) <1> failed

NVDA,Display-B: Not usable

Other info that might help: I have changed the device id in my NV50 and NVDAres kexts to my 0614 and changed the probe scores to 0. I'm running 10.5.4. Other kernels yield the same as do other MB bios changes. I don't really know where to go from here...

The efi string method works for me, and it boots with the name I give it, correct RAM amount, but still no CI/QE. Nothing I've tried allows for it. Here's what my bootlog spits out (at least the relevant part, I can post the whole thing if necessary):

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

NVDA::probe(display)

NVDA::start(display) <1>

NVDA::start(display) <1> failed

NVDA,Display-B: Not usable

Other info that might help: I have changed the device id in my NV50 and NVDAres kexts to my 0614 and changed the probe scores to 0. I'm running 10.5.4. Other kernels yield the same as do other MB bios changes. I don't really know where to go from here...

With efi it either works or it doesnt, its not actually a driver its an identifyer. If it finds and registers your card correctly it should be working if you followed the steps correctly. Also put your motherboard and your install method in your sig, it helps us others provide guidance. Maybe your install method is the problem.

I had the same problem with my 8800. Then I removed the following Kext's from \System\Library\Extensions:

GeForce.kext

NVDANV10Hal.kext

NVDANV20Hal.kext

NVDANV30Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

Nvinject.kext

Nvkush.kext

Reboot.

OS X will now load the standard VESA video driver, your screen resolution will be 1024x768. Then run Leopard Graphics update, and lastly I ran EFI studio which enabled QE.

Alright, from the beginning, and thanks for the help btw...

Asus P5N-D NForce board, 750i SLI, 4GB RAM, Q6600@2.63 MHz

Asus EN9800 GT Ultimate 512MB video

24" LCD monitor hooked in with DVI to HDMI cable

all of the above purchased with my tax refund - thx uncle sam.

install setup: IDE DVD and HD, using 1 GUID partition (separate RAID SATA drives for windows)

bios settings:

limit CPUID MaxVal - off

C1E - off

Exe disable bit - on

virtualization - on

speedstep - off

plug & play OS - on

prim display - PCI-E

HD Audio - on

onboard LAN - off (using old PCI NIC instead)

1394 - off

serial and parallel ports - off

USB - on

ACPI - on and S3

HPET - on

The Install:

-Kalyway 10.5.2, boots without any flags added (both iAtkos 4i and Leo 4 All hung on me but I didn't monkey with them much either)

minimal install with Kalyway:

-no fonts or languages

-sleep and nforce kernels only

-no graphics drivers

-no audio drivers

-forcedeth network driver

-all Mobo_Chipsets left checked

-no 3rds apps

-remove PCGenUSB_Fix and French keyboard

installs fine, boots no flags needed after, but obviously nothing works yet but network...

Next...

Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update, must boot: "update cpus=1" afterward

next, install Apple 10.5.4 update (not the combo update)

again, boot "update cpus=1"

last install new kernel: 9.4 StageXNU, boots 10.5.4 with "-f"

After all that, all of my NVinject/NVKush/EFI strings work is a failure. Again, I can get all 3 to boot and show that they can change the name and RAM amount in the "about this mac", but nothing I do gets CI/QE working...its like they all ignore my video card completely.

Just fyi, I also have an old G5, a macbook, and a real copy of Leopard in case they'll help...