OS X SLOW!

23 posts in this topic

I have posted 5 topics on this forum and only gotten 1 reply total so hopefully I will have better luck on this one:

My VMWare 6.5 (purchased) is running 10.4 SLOW! I have an Intel Q6600 quad core w/4GB ram on Vista. I have read around on the forums and the only fix that some have suggested has been to make sure Virtualization (VT) is enabled. So I have searched for hours on several forums and nowhere does it say how to enable Virtualization or to check if its already enabled.

Will this help a terribly slow OS X on Vmware?

bump. someone has to know

You will need to check in the BIOS settings to see if it turned on. If it isn't set it to on in BIOS then you will have to remove power from the machine for 30 seconds, as need to fully cold boot it. Whether it will make it go any faster is difficult to say. One thing though ensure you only have one CPU setup in the virtual machine.

OS X is going to be as slow as a G3 in VMware no matter what you do.

Why? All the work I have done shows perfectly acceptable performance, although not for graphics intensive applications. Check out some of the other threads here!

Why? All the work I have done shows perfectly acceptable performance, although not for graphics intensive applications. Check out some of the other threads here!

It's acceptable, but getting a 30 or so in xbench is a lot slower than installing natively, a LOT slower. And probably comparing to his current Windows install yeah it is pretty slow.

It's acceptable, but getting a 30 or so in xbench is a lot slower than installing natively, a LOT slower. And probably comparing to his current Windows install yeah it is pretty slow.

I guess it is a case of YMMV. I'm developing in my environment so it is perfectly usable. If it is so slow as to be unusable there is definitely something wrong with the setup.

You will need to check in the BIOS settings to see if it turned on. If it isn't set it to on in BIOS then you will have to remove power from the machine for 30 seconds, as need to fully cold boot it. Whether it will make it go any faster is difficult to say. One thing though ensure you only have one CPU setup in the virtual machine.

Why should I select only one CPU? i selected somewhere 2 cpus.

Why should I select only one CPU? i selected somewhere 2 cpus.

Because there are currently issues running OSX on more than one CPU, which leads to stuttering and poor performance. Not just a VMware problem, real hackintoshes also have the same problem. There is work going on to fix it, but for now stick to one CPU in the guest.

Ok, WOW! What a difference when VT is enabled! this thing is running MUCH MUCH better. I didnt notice a difference between 1 core or 2 core. Still very stable even with 2 cores.

Is there a downfall to having VT enabled? I wonder why it wouldnt be enabled to begin with.

Ok, WOW! What a difference when VT is enabled! this thing is running MUCH MUCH better. I didnt notice a difference between 1 core or 2 core. Still very stable even with 2 cores.

Is there a downfall to having VT enabled? I wonder why it wouldnt be enabled to begin with.

No downside to VT-x being enabled. Only used by virtualization software.

I have read around in some forums that USB will not work on vmware with OS x but those threads are pretty old. Is there any way to get USB working on OS X?

It works for me. BTW an VMware engineer states that multiple virtual CPUs currently hav about 30% overhead on the host compared to single vCPU. Thought you might be interested.

It works for me. BTW an VMware engineer states that multiple virtual CPUs currently hav about 30% overhead on the host compared to single vCPU. Thought you might be interested.

I'm sorry but what does that mean?

I'm sorry but what does that mean?

USB works for me.

Following up on the 1 versus 2 vCPUs (VMware speak for 2 virtual CPUs in a guest) in an earlier message. I don't have any details apart from the there is an additional overhead on the VMware monitor program

when u say 'additional overhead', what does that mean as far as the speed difference of 1 vs 2?

sorry but I am new at virtualization

As I said potentially 30% slower than single CPU virtual machine, but the engineer hasn't given out too many details. Many old timers in VMware (been using it for 9 years!) only use 2CPUs when needed

thanks for the tip. very useful. I switched now to 1 cpu but dont feel much of a difference.

is there anything in particular you have to do to make the usb work? or did it just work for you right off the bat?

thanks for the tip. very useful. I switched now to 1 cpu but dont feel much of a difference.

is there anything in particular you have to do to make the usb work? or did it just work for you right off the bat?

Just worked for me, once I told VMware to attach the USB device to the guest. This is on Windows XP SP3 and Workstation 6.5.