(GUIDE) 780G Chipset (SB700) support .kexts

15 posts in this topic

This will work on 780G chipsets with the SB700 Southbridge

This took me along time to get up and running and figure out. First and foremost I would like to thank SenVa for the actuall SB700.kexts He posted the correct files i just had to figure how to intergrate them to an osx86 install cd. I would like to point out that i'm a complete noob but very interested in mac on pc and i've never written a guide on anything before so i hope u can understand me if not pm me and ill be glad to help. K enough of that lets get on with it!!!

Also I would like to point out that all dvd and hard drives show up after install all works fast and install is like 25 minutes!!

What u will need

1. SB700 .kext (provided in post)

2. A copy of transmac or another program to put the files on iso

3. Kalyway 10.5.2 (i've not tried any other flavor yet so try at your own risk!!!)

What to do

1. open transmac and on the top half of transmac open the file SB700 .kext you should see two files extensions.mkext and a folder Extensions

2. on the bottom portion of transmac open your kalyway iso.

3. go to HFS+ volume/system/library/ on kalyway

4. now drag extensions.mkext from the top half to the bottom half and replace the one on kalyway

5. on the top half go into Extensions folder there u will see two files drag them into the extensions folder on the kalyway replace any files that ask to be replaced

6. and there u have it you now have a kalyway install dvd with SB700 support!!!!!

But your not off the hook just yet this MUST be installed in native ide mode so go into bios and make that change also i made a few other changes that seemed to help not sure if u have to though but this is what i did turn virtualization on and also ACPI to S3 and for some reason kalyway didnt like my ps/2 mouse/keyboard so i had to use the usb one but now to the install only other thing you need to do is boot with -f flag you only need to do this once

and there you have it a working SB700 .kext if u have any questions pm me or post it sorry about how this was written this is my first guide if thats what you wanna call it!!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

I was'nt able to up my files here for a reason i dont know but heres a link

www.esnips.com/web/nicholasblocksStuff

post-252392-1223850088_thumb.png

post-252392-1223850146_thumb.png

post-252392-1223850189_thumb.png

Thanks a lot nicholas for sb700, i have created new DVD and i am trying now.

can you say any thing about proper BIOS settings for example HPET is on or off?

for other user I am writing rapidshare miror.

http://rapidshare.com/files/152178555/SB700_kexts.zip.html

I created new dvd from leo4all 4.1 and if it pass , I will say.

addition note : transmac let you change iso and trial version can do that...

I am not happy your kexts dont solve my problem , it still says : still waiting for root device.

@Slackwx

what are you sata drives at in bios? they should be set to run in IDE mode. The second thing you should look into is removing all the drives you don't need. I had to do that to get zeph's 10.5.1 to install.

for my bios , SATA 04 and SATA 05 ports are native IDE support, and I put my SATA HDD to SATA04.

In this case yu can understand my AHCI is enabled but SATA has IDE support.

I found performance with nicholas kext but the system doesnt seem relaible because of this I reformatted the disk.

But there is a problem with Diskutility , if you didnt use unmodified DVD or sometimes it does not matter.

Diskutiliy can only see 128 gB of HDD. rest of is useless because you can reach.

in this case I can say that format your HDD with another MAC;)

or try to format with 3rd party softwares. Geparted does not work it cannot format HPS+.

I formatted with another mac.

I tried all Distrios except Nicholas's Kalyway;)

ideneb v1.3 , you can setup but I couldnt boot after setup and I didnt try , I just pass another distiro

but I can say that sometimes you need to disable USB support and Paralel and Serial ports.

Leo4ALL4.1 works if you use nicholas mkext or default LEo4all 4.1 you can get setup screen and install.

and work.

I can say you if you want to see setup screen and after installation

Disable these in bios.

Firewire

USB support(legacy , keyboard , mouse , EHCI etc. all USB support)

you can try onboard LANas disable but some distros tries to find it and you cant pass to setup screen.

and use ctrl+f1 option on bios screen and try chipset configuration enable everything or disable, it is experimental.

If you have mainboard same with me, GA-MA78GM-S2H, I can say that you can install but you may have slower system with zeyp, kalyway better, leo4all better ,if you use SATA HDD on IDE support.

but with nocholas kext seems better.

for all distros IDE HDD is slow.

The main problem is HD 3200 onboard driver.

and I am thinking that USB also has problem with SB700.

we may need USB driver for SB700.

Hey i got no problem with ahci at all ide was causeing problems like safari crashing and system running slow try installing with full sata i had no problem i found out cause i crashed my kalyway trying to update to 10.5.5 so i went to reinstall and i had all sata support on and its alot faster try it

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have been trying to install Kalyway 10.5.2. to my Asus M3A78-VM motherboard with not much luck. It's using 780G chipset with SB700 south bridge.

I have modified the Kalyway DVD with SB700 kexts. I can boot from DVD but there are problems. Bios has three different modes for sata controller, "SATA", "AHCI" and "RAID".

When BIOS is set to SATA mode installer does not see my sata drive at all. It shows in AHCI mode and I was able to install but it did not boot at all, no Darwin prompts or anything. I was able to install to old IDE HD and boot from there with -F option but IDE is very very slow, approximately 2 MB/s and it's the same with DVD drive. After booting I can see my sata drive if bios is set to AHCI and it has good performance.

It seems that SB700 kext are not used (reasons for this thinking: IDE is very slow, SATA drive does not show up in SATA mode).

Is there any way to verify what is loaded and what is not? I can't understand what's the problem, instructions are simple enough to follow...

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, First post so be easy. I do a lot of reading and have tried to install osx on my AMD system for a while. However, I have been unsuccessful. I tried this current method but when i use transmac, my file subsystem is different. I don't see any folders named system or library for some reason. All i see are install mac osx app and different kernels. I dont know where to put the files with transmac.

I have tried kalyway 10.5.2 - couldnt load basesystem

leo4all couldnt boot the cd, and then also ducky which didnt recongnize my hardware.

Any help would be great.

my system is a am2 BE 5000

Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H

Alex

I dont have SB700 hardware but judging from the screenshots and kexts the trick is just making the SATA ports work in AHCI mode.

For that you should not need any extra kext as the AHCI driver is included in vanilla Leopard install packaged, just try a modern 10.5.6 distro like iPC and see if it boots and recognizes the disks in AHCI mode, if it does you might be able to install it that way (no need to select additional storage drivers).

If you are booting from an IDE DVD drive you might have troubles though (not sure if iPC supports SB700 IDE ports...).

• 1 month later...

After couple of failed install attempts, I am trying to install IPC_OSx86_10_5_6_Universal_PPF5_Final.

I could boot from DVD bootloader and then load OSX from HDD when I tried with LEO\4ALLV1 AMD ( but no wifi , sound card and no display card). I never got any waiting for root device errors.

do I need to apply this patch?

My DV7Z HP Craptop Details:

• AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 (MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64)
  • Northbridge: AMD 780G rev. 00
  • Southbridge: ATI SB700 rev. 00
  • Atheros AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI [168c:001c] (rev 01)
  • RS780 Azalia controller [1002:960f]
  • SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383]

Hi guys,

I am trying to install OSX86 on a Gigabyte board with SB700 southbridge. My problem is that I can't get to the install screen due to the "still waiting for root device" error. This means(I think) that the install can't pick up my DVD-ROM, since I have the SB700 southbridge.

I am trying to install on an IDE HD sitting on Channel 0 as Master and I have 1 IDE-DVD player on Channel 0 slave and another SATA-DVD on Channel 1 Master. I have tried a bunch of different distros with the same result.

When I tried to add this patch to my distros using TransMac I got an error "Cannot write to disk" so I used UltraISO to open the distro and add the files though there. The problem is that I could not boot from the disk at all after I did that. Do I have to use TransMac to add the files? Are there other alternatives? Also do I put the Extensions folder into System/Library or just Library folder?

Also some of you wrote that the os runs extremely slowly on an IDE drive, is that the case for everyone? Do I pretty much have to use a SATA hard drive?

I know it's a lot of question but I have been trying for over a month now and this thread is the closest I have gotten to the root of the problem.

Thanks guys!

Wally - To see all those folders in transmac you have to enable to show Hidden Folders.

• 3 months later...
Hi,

I have been trying to install Kalyway 10.5.2. to my Asus M3A78-VM motherboard with not much luck. It's using 780G chipset with SB700 south bridge.

I have modified the Kalyway DVD with SB700 kexts. I can boot from DVD but there are problems. Bios has three different modes for sata controller, "SATA", "AHCI" and "RAID".

When BIOS is set to SATA mode installer does not see my sata drive at all. It shows in AHCI mode and I was able to install but it did not boot at all, no Darwin prompts or anything. I was able to install to old IDE HD and boot from there with -F option but IDE is very very slow, approximately 2 MB/s and it's the same with DVD drive. After booting I can see my sata drive if bios is set to AHCI and it has good performance.

It seems that SB700 kext are not used (reasons for this thinking: IDE is very slow, SATA drive does not show up in SATA mode).

Is there any way to verify what is loaded and what is not? I can't understand what's the problem, instructions are simple enough to follow...

I'm trying to get my Hackintosh up and running right now. I'm having the exact same problem you just described. However, I am using a version of LawlessPPC (with injected SB700 drivers.) Installer does not see my HDD when in native IDE mode, it does when in AHCI. However, when trying to boot in AHCI mode, I get the still waiting for root device error. I managed to install on an IDE drive but, like you said, It was painfully slow.

Have you managed to get your rig working yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I solved my problems by changing to 15.5.5 and AppleATIATA.kext driver. Both SATA and PATA are working fast now :D

really sorry. Didn't see this before. What do you mean by changing to 15.5.5? And when you say you changed to AppleATIATA.kext, did you have to inject that driver into your ISO, or did you select it when installing. Did you ever get the installer to see your SATA drive, or did you just fix the speed issues on your IDE?

Thanks.

• 11 months later...

Sorry if I'm dummy, but I just don't have any idea to how install this package. Can anyone help me?

I mean, how do I install a mkext package? Do I have to install to two kexts inside the folder in it?

Sorry again, and thanks yet.

• 5 months later...

Great. I'm way up to put this kexts files do the install disc. I'm just a little afraid it won't work. I just can't handle a blank DVD right now to burn it and not even a program do access the dvd contents. I just restore de Mac OS X install DVD retail on a partition (in HFS+ journaled) and am going to add the files with a ubuntu live cd (using root). Then I'll restart from that partition.

I hope it works...