Vanilla install on Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 with boot-132: success! (mostly)

naivured

25 posts in this topic

I've got a 99% vanilla install running almost flawlessly. The known issues are listed later in this post.

Here are my specs:

- Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 motherboard w/ Intel E8200 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo (overclocked to 3.2GHz)

- NVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB

- 4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz

- SATA Seagate 250GB drive

- SATA Samsung DVD-RW/CD-RW

Here are the steps if you already have Leopard installed:

1) Download my boot-132 ISO from here. For now it will only work if you are booting from a USB stick. Basically you just need to copy the files from my ISO after prepping your USB stick as described. (If you're interested, here is the archive for the files that I put together to build the ISO)

2) Boot up your computer. You may have to hit <escape> and choose a different drive number than 81 once the bootloader waits for your input.

3) I updated to 10.5.5 after cloning my drive, rebooted, and all was well. If your graphics card is still not recognized/accelerated, you may want to follow these steps first. If you want to keep your drive mostly vanilla, then you can copy the com.apple.Boot.plist file to the initrd.img image on your USB stick.

4) I tried many many different methods and files to get audio working without modifying the /System/Library/Extensions folder, but I just couldn't. This is the only thing that's not vanilla. You will have to copy the ALCinject.kext and AppleHDA.kext (1.2.9a4) files from the LS8v14 package. Let's say the package ended up in your downloads folder... open Terminal:

sudo -s
(enter your password)
cd /System/Library/Extensions
cp -r AppleHDA.kext /(your drive name)/Vanilla
rm -r AppleHDA.kext
cp -r ~/Downloads/ls8v14/kext/ALCinject/ALCinject.kext .
cp -r ~/Downloads/ls8v14/kext/AppleHDA/1.2.9a4/AppleHDA.kext .
exit

Don't forget to rebuild the disk permissions in Disk Utility.app

5) You are good to go! 10.5.5 with SATA, GPU accel, shutdown, restart, networking, audio, etc.

Known issues

1) Sleep: I haven't looked into this much. It doesn't bother me a lot, but it would be nice to have. I'll look into it more in the near future.

2) Secondary (Gigabyte brand) SATA controller: I can't see any drives on it. I have done a fair amount of searching on this forum, but have not found any answers at all. Not even a recommendation for where to start.

Other

I don't have time at the moment, but in the near future I will edit this thread to include instructions and files to deal with a fresh vanilla install and booting via CD.

If anyone has any input, please reply! I'm always looking for improvements.

Late last night I modified AppleAHCIPort.kext to properly recognize the ICH10 southbridge (System Profiler previously said "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller").

Aside from lack of audio, the only other quirk is that System Profiler thinks I'm running on an iMac. I'll be looking into this later (away from home for a couple days), and I'll post my modified kext so others can get ICH10 recognition.

Thanks for posting!

I'll be doing the same thing here in a day or two (same video card and mobo)

I've been doing a lot of research for preparation. Try this link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...114739&st=0

In that link, Zaap references this link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

He said it contains fixes for the audio issue for the EP45. Others have reported back saying it worked! If you try it, post back saying how it worked :) I'd be curious to know since I'll be trying myself soon.

Also THANK YOU for referencing that link to getting the 8800 GT working. That was exactly what I needed. I think the EP45 and the 8800 GT is a great choice for people looking to build awesome computers without breaking the bank account, so hopefully your post will help others like it did me (you should post a complete guide with files, steps, etc after you get everything, including audio, working). I will even post my experience in a few days here.

DB

Is your computer shutting down and restarting? Also have you had any success installing 10.5.5?

It shuts down and restarts with no problems.

I have not tried 10.5.5 yet. At this point I want to concentrate on audio (because I'm dying without music). Once I get it working and tested for a while I'll clone the drive and then try updating to 10.5.5.

Whether or not it works I'll report back here to let everyone know the results.

... snip ...

I've been doing a lot of research for preparation. Try this link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...114739&st=0

In that link, Zaap references this link:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

He said it contains fixes for the audio issue for the EP45. Others have reported back saying it worked! If you try it, post back saying how it worked :) I'd be curious to know since I'll be trying myself soon.

Thanks! I hadn't seen that thread. Like I said, I am away from home for a few days. I'll be sure to try it when I get back!

Also THANK YOU for referencing that link to getting the 8800 GT working. That was exactly what I needed. I think the EP45 and the 8800 GT is a great choice for people looking to build awesome computers without breaking the bank account, so hopefully your post will help others like it did me (you should post a complete guide with files, steps, etc after you get everything, including audio, working). I will even post my experience in a few days here.

No problem. Please do let us know what results you have.

You're going to run the same EP45-DQ6? That's great news, because not many people here have posted about using them. I had to do a lot of guess work :) There is one other thread about getting it to run, but it's not a vanilla install.

I have been able to get everything working with the GA-EP45-DS3R except 10.5.5. The P35-DS4 ISO solves my restart problems. Also that guide you posted for the 8800GT is exactly what I was looking for.

Let me know how your 10.5.5 install goes. On my P5K-VM I was able to just use the 10.5.5 combo update and upgrade from 10.5. However on this board I have not had that much luck.

This thread got my audio working, I spent a bit of time on this:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114739

Hey all, after a long long research i've decided to buy a GA-EP45-DQ6 and wanna make a Boot-132 install in order to gain full advantages of native updating and vice versa...

As i can see the only problem here is the o/b audio is not workin with this method as u mentioned above. After a quick research through the forum i've seen that in athread about GA-EP45-DQ6, a user (sheeplover) has suceeded with ALC889a kexts with digital output! You may look here it's written in his signature.

Does this solve the audio problem?

As i can see the only problem here is the o/b audio is not workin with this method as u mentioned above. After a quick research through the forum i've seen that in athread about GA-EP45-DQ6, a user (sheeplover) has suceeded with ALC889a kexts with digital output! You may look here it's written in his signature.

Does this solve the audio problem?

I saw sheeplover's post in that thread with a patched AppleHDA.kext, but he said that the sound was crackly so I didn't try it. However, I didn't initially notice this other post, which I will try when I get back home.

I saw people in that thread talking about their secondary SATA controller not working, which I haven't tested yet. I do have plans to use eSATA in the future, so that will be important for me to figure out (if it is busted). If anyone has any insight before I get crackin, please speak up.

I saw sheeplover's post in that thread with a patched AppleHDA.kext, but he said that the sound was crackly so I didn't try it. However, I didn't initially notice this other post, which I will try when I get back home.

Then please share your results after trying. Man! i can't wait :P

EDIT:---------------------------

Oh by the way... What if i update from 10.5.0 directly to 10.5.5? Would that be a problem, if you have any idea of course... and good luck with the sound problem ;)

Ok, I now have everything working, but audio. It is really annoying. The sound works, however in system profiler it shows no audio device. Is this all I am going to get as it seems to me that HD Audio is not there. I wonder if this is all I am going to get for now.

• 2 weeks later...

10.5.5 works fine. All you need to do is download the 10.5.5 combo update and install via the netkas method http://netkas.org/?p=50 (same as 10.5.2 - 10.5.3) along with the LS8_v13 patch. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115121&

Also, to get audio working just follow this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...mp;p=925068>

Sorry for the long delay everyone. I have decided that some of the issues with this hackintosh are inherent to my use of the GA-P35-DS4 boot-132 ISO. So, over the last couple days I have been putting in time here and there to get it solved via my own ISO specifically for the EP45-DQ6.

I did get some things to work via various methods on this forum (including audio), but they still required modding the /System/Library/Extensions folder in some way. I'm not happy with that because I really want to keep this 100% vanilla.

At the present moment I have a boot-132 ISO that works fantastically aside from audio and CPU recognition in the System Profiler (everything else works great, although I have not been able to test the secondary SATA controller). It boots very fast too - loading the initrd.img file from the bootloader only takes a few seconds :)

I will continue to work on it tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to post a fully functional ISO for everyone at that point. Stay tuned!

10.5.5 works fine. All you need to do is download the 10.5.5 combo update and install via the netkas method http://netkas.org/?p=50 (same as 10.5.2 - 10.5.3) along with the LS8_v13 patch. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115121&

Also, to get audio working just follow this post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...mp;p=925068>

Sorry, that's not good enough for me. I want vanilla. The boot-132 ISO I have going right now should work great with 10.5.5. Once I get everything working with 10.5.4 I am going to backup my drive to my secondary partition and update. I'll keep everyone posted.

Okay everyone, I updated the first post of this thread with a new boot-132 ISO. I now have almost everything working 99.9% vanilla.

Good luck!

Okay everyone, I updated the first post of this thread with a new boot-132 ISO. I now have almost everything working 99.9% vanilla.

Good luck!

Great job :P -though i did not find any kexts in the initrd.img inside the iso you provided, There is only Extensions.mkext in there.

Was hoping to make my own boot 132 USB with your extensions.

Can you put a link to an initrd with the extensions you used?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Great job :( -though i did not find any kexts in the initrd.img inside the iso you provided, There is only Extensions.mkext in there.

Was hoping to make my own boot 132 USB with your extensions.

Can you put a link to an initrd with the extensions you used?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

I did it with this method. It takes all the kexts you supply and turns them into an mkext file, which is basically a cache of the kexts (smaller, faster). I do not have access to the files at the moment, but I will post them when I do (couple days).

I did it with this method. It takes all the kexts you supply and turns them into an mkext file, which is basically a cache of the kexts (smaller, faster). I do not have access to the files at the moment, but I will post them when I do (couple days).

Well, I could'nt get ICH10R to be detected properly and it drove me nuts...

For those who just want the Intel ICH10 and ICH10R detected properly, here is a link to a thread I found that solves this,

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...ort.kext+ICH10R

if you're too lazy to go and look there for yourself, here's the link to download:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=35891

Thanks to Gujal for the sharing

Jonathan.

Hoping you'll post the files you used soon. Did you finally get audio working via the Boot-ISO?

Thank you.

Thanks for the hard work deruvian. I'm building a new desktop, and I think this has convinced me to go the EP45 route. (though maybe the DS3R due to budget constraints).

I assume by your dedication to vanilla, and chagrin about the audio drivers, that this is an EFI-partition (as opposed to chameleon-based) install? Forgive my newbieness. I'm a medium-level hackintosher, but am still wrapping my head around the procedure for an EFI-partition solution (as it seems to be the best option).

Hoping you'll post the files you used soon. Did you finally get audio working via the Boot-ISO?

Thank you.

I'll get them up this weekend. I have not been able to get audio working via ISO - I don't think it's possible, for the moment.

Thanks for the hard work deruvian. I'm building a new desktop, and I think this has convinced me to go the EP45 route. (though maybe the DS3R due to budget constraints).

I assume by your dedication to vanilla, and chagrin about the audio drivers, that this is an EFI-partition (as opposed to chameleon-based) install? Forgive my newbieness. I'm a medium-level hackintosher, but am still wrapping my head around the procedure for an EFI-partition solution (as it seems to be the best option).

No problem mate. (Hitchhiker's Guide fan, Dude?) I started with boot-132 on CD, then changed to USB stick, then built by own ISO (still USB), and just the other day changed over to an EFI partition. It's really easy to set up, and much more convenient than using a stick.

I will update my first post with more instructions, files, and details this weekend. Thanks for waiting through this work-in-progress.

Hi,

I've just repacked the deruvian's Extensions.mkext with ALC889a support, tell me if it's working for your P45/ich10 chipsets (plan to buy one :unsure: )

I switched back to vanilla AppleHDA.kext first, changed MKext, rebooted... doesn't work for me. System Profiler, for the "Hardware" section, has an error: There was an error while gathering this information.

The "Audio (Built-in)" section has a device-id and audio-id but no available devices. Sorry sonotone, try again I guess (though I'm not sure what you could try that I haven't... boot-132 and audio just do not get along!)

Here is the download link for the archive for the files that I used (rapidshare). Remember, this is only for existing installations of Leopard, using the USB stick boot-132 method. I have not yet tested it with the CD method boot-132, nor have I done a fresh install with it (which requires the CD method anyway). The ISO is built using slimbuild by ~Galaxy, but I have modified it for use with the USB stick boot method. This was basically for my convenience, as I was constantly changing kexts and rebooting for hours until I got the proper set of kexts going. Manually setting up the files for the USB stick every time would have been awful, and burning hundreds of CDs would have been even worse.

To build with the modified slimbuild, use Terminal:

sudo -s
< enter your password >
cd /path/to/slimbuild/folder
./slimbuild

If you want to use EFI strings to recognize something like your graphics card, do that but then copy the modified com.apple.Boot.plist file over to the "Plist" folder that I made and then:

sudo -s
< enter your password >
cd /path/to/slimbuild/folder
./plist-slimbuild

Now you can safely update OS X without worrying about your EFI strings going away.

If you want to attempt to build a CD, download the real slimbuild package from the link above and move my kexts over.

Have fun!

(though I'm not sure what you could try that I haven't... boot-132 and audio just do not get along!
)

I think you have to read a bit more about boot 132, cause audio is working well.

System profiler crash cause i've removed AppleSMBIOS from Extensions.mkext , but ApplesmbiosEFI seem's don't make his job. You may have to switch to SMBIOSEnabler or SMBIOS Resolver to run vanilla's one.

Why do you need AppleACPIPlatform in your ISO?

Anyway, there is no reason that audio don"t works for your board (ALC889a is supported well), you just have to find the right kext, and to do what's should be done.

@ deruvian

Thanks for sharing your work. One problem i still have after vanilla install: The Computer won't turn off when selecting shutdown in the finder. System goes down, but PC won't power-off.

Do i need another AppleACPIPlatform.kext?

Did you get yours from LS8v14? If not, i'll give that a try.

I am looking forward to your EFI-Boot-Partition efforts :whistle:. I consider making that too.