Perfect (or almost) HP DV6000 & DV9000 AMD install

Blarneystone

22 posts in this topic

After weeks of trial and error, I've got a method of building an almost perfect Leopard install on the HP DV6/9000 AMD Turion 64 X2 series. Yes, including keyboard and trackpad without having to carry around a USB keyboard! Still left to fix power management and waking from sleep (typical issues). No graphics acceleration, but I am running at 1440x900 resolution.

This install requires the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD.

With this method you should ALWAYS boot with external mouse and keyboard unplugged!!!

A few suggestions beforehand:

1. I recommend patience and persistence - sometimes after install adding a kext takes 3 reboots before it will take. I don't know why. it's just that way. See the link in my signature if you need emotional support ;)

2. If something fails, try suggestion number 1.

3. Make one system oriented change at a time and reboot between changes. (i.e. install 1 kext (or set of related kexts) at a time and reboot in-between)

Your safety nets:

1. Remember the -f switch while booting after making kext changes

2. Go into disk utilities and repair permissions on your drive when something is wrong..

3. I highly recommend building two partitions on your hard drive. Make one partition your good build, the other one can be your "testing" build. If something goes haywire with your testing build and you can't get it to boot, go into your good build and undo the changes.

First, boot into the Kalyway DVD without your Mouse or USB keyboard.

Here are the options I used to set up OSX:

• Put a check for additional fonts

• Uncheck language translations you don't need (I unchecked them all)

• For Kernels choose kernel 9.2 sleep

• Uncheck all graphics drivers

• For audio drivers put a checkmark for Intel, NVIDIA, Realtec Sigmatel only (the defaults) audio should work when you reboot. Press control

• Uncheck everything for network cards

• Leave WiFi cards as their defaults

• Leave all motherboard chipsets checked

• Check all "thirds" applications

• Leave the jas ACPI APIC section unchecked completely

• For patches under hardcoded SM bios put a checkmark for a lastnetbios(sp) put a checkmark for PC Gen USB fix

• Put a checkmark for the francais keyboard layout

• Put a checkmark for Time machine fix

• under AMD 1052 patches put a checkmark for patch test_1

After install, reboot with the -f -v cpus=2 switch. Leave mouse and keyboard unplugged. You should be able to get to the setup screens ok. sound should work too. Wifi won't work, and graphics will be locked at 1024 x 768. But finish the setup anyway.

Fix Your graphics and ONLY graphics first:

At the top of this thread, grab the kexts and use kexthelper to install the nvidia kexts and copy your IONDRVSupport.kext to your desktop and delete it from the extensions folder. Reboot with -f -v cpus=2 (may take 2-3 times) leave mouse and keyboard unplugged.

BTW, here's what I do to use a mouse: While booting, when it gets to the blue screen, I quickly test the trackpad if it works, I IMMEDIATELY plug in the USB mouse. You have about 1-2 full seconds to do it and that enables all your usb ports.

Ok, are you back now? Great. Now go for Wifi.

Fix Your WiFi

Use kexthelper to install AppleAPIC.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext from the package you downloaded above. Reboot into safe mode:

-x -v cpus=2

Open up disk utility and repair permissions on your drive. Once done, reboot with the -v cpus=2 flag (leave mouse unplugged of course).

Happiness!

Hopefully, you'll be back after a reboot and a very happy mac user.

Make a backup

I recommend using superduper to make a backup as soon as you are farther along in the install than you were before. Time Machine doesn't seem to work well with Kalyway and this hardware setup. Super Duper works fine. But this is your insurance that any other changes you make aren't necessarily install killers.

Still to fix:

I am still looking for a way to boot with USB devices plugged in, but it seems to disable the keyboard/trackpad if you have a usb device plugged in at boot. Only plugging in after the blue screen seems to do any good.

Also, I tried a powermanagement bundle from the prior thread and I can still boot, but I don't see power options in the tray. your thoughts?

It seems that every time I install a driver (like my canon i560 printer) and reboot, the first reboot fails. Not sure why this is, but makes me wary of installing anything that requires a reboot. Is this typical for all Mac users, all Hackintoshes or just this particular hardware?

why would you install intel drivers on an amd setup? makes no sense! your tutorial sounds like you just checked everything and hoped for the bes! not to mention that most dv6000 user's have either the nforce560/mcp67 chipset or the nforce 650m/mcp67 chipset which none of the kalyway iso's currently support. your method only happens to work for your particular chipset which i don't see posted anywhere. you can't make a tutorial thinking that it will work for dv6000 and dv9000 as they were availiable with several different chipsets.

for instance. video drivers for the nforce560 happen to be the 6150m. however the video drivers for the nforce650m happen to be the 7150m which are totally different and are currently not supported by any version of leopard. drivers have not been made yet.

future note: look into all aspects before making a tutorial and labeling it for something it is not!

Sorry to have offended you. A few of us in this thread were having massive troubles installing Leopard on our HP DV6000 or DV9000 where we could get graphics, sound, wifi AND onboard Keyboard working.

I also have a lab where I can test unlimited options on this make and model. If you are running AMD Turion 64 in this category of notebook, this method should work.

why would you install intel drivers on an amd setup? makes no sense!

It makes sense from the perspective of what works or doesn't work. If removing the Intel drivers makes the sound fail, then do we really want to remove them? Over 40 tests on these laptops show that checking that option makes sound work natively. i don't know why. Perhaps a dependency gets installed.

I agree I am just a Q/A tester who may not know as much as you on this topic, that's not the point. I simply test until it works or blows up.

So please help us all out and point us in the direction of your tutorial for setting up the HP DV 6000 / DV 9000 AMD Turion 64 X2s. But until that time, may I suggest we leave this up in case someone who isn't seeing success with the other tutorials can try this one?

I am anxiously awaiting your tutorial.

i myself do not have a tutorial as most of us here don't. i was not offended by your post but was simply stating that it does not work with all dv6000 laptops due to the several different chipsets. i have posted quite a bit as far as progress with my amd setup in the leo4all v4.1 amd released thread found here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=123364&hl=

my signature has my specs as far as what chipset i have etc. i have successfully installed leo4all on my laptop. only thing that worked natively was usb, keyboard and trackpad. everything else however did not. there is currently no 7150m nvidia driver. dvd rom does not function while running leopard, firewire has not been tested but did manage to get kext to load. there currently is no wireless kext for atheros ar5006x however bluetooth loaded as broadcom. did not test bluetooth either.

known issues with power management- laptop runs hotter than it should causing usb dropouts ( i experience this in xp as well however it is fine in vista! and yes i have installed all the correct drivers for my chipset for xp)

i am not asking to close the thread, mearly correct the title to specify for a particular chipset for the simple fact that a newby could be easily mislead and you would have a bunch of questions being asked for chipsets that you don't have.

i guess all i'm trying to say is to be a little more specific in the post as it will not work for every dv6000 owner. and i apologise if i offended you

After weeks of trial and error, I've got a method of building an almost perfect Leopard install on the HP DV6/9000 AMD Turion 64 X2 series. Yes, including keyboard and trackpad without having to carry around a USB keyboard! Still left to fix power management and waking from sleep (typical issues). No graphics acceleration, but I am running at 1440x900 resolution.

This install requires the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD.

Still to fix:

I am still looking for a way to boot with USB devices plugged in, but it seems to disable the keyboard/trackpad if you have a usb device plugged in at boot. Only plugging in after the blue screen seems to do any good.

Also, I tried a powermanagement bundle from the prior thread and I can still boot, but I don't see power options in the tray. your thoughts?

It seems that every time I install a driver (like my canon i560 printer) and reboot, the first reboot fails. Not sure why this is, but makes me wary of installing anything that requires a reboot. Is this typical for all Mac users, all Hackintoshes or just this particular hardware?

hi Blarneystone,

I am impressed with the amount of effort you have put in to your OSX-on-dv9205us project.

I killed my install last week when I tried to update to 10.5.5 from my leo4allv4.1 install. I think you also tried leo4all, did you not? I am ready for a new install but hesitate to move from leo4all to kalyway. For example power mgt does work on leo4all. Can you give me pros-cons for switching from leo4all to kalyway?

Maybe off-topic but have you tried Tiger on our dv9205?

Thanx :blink: , Boriss

hi Blarneystone,

I am impressed with the amount of effort you have put in to your OSX-on-dv9205us project.

I killed my install last week when I tried to update to 10.5.5 from my leo4allv4.1 install. I think you also tried leo4all, did you not? I am ready for a new install but hesitate to move from leo4all to kalyway. For example power mgt does work on leo4all. Can you give me pros-cons for switching from leo4all to kalyway?

Maybe off-topic but have you tried Tiger on our dv9205?

Thanx :) , Boriss

Hi Boriss,

No tiger for me. sorry.

My opinion on the LEO4all vs. Kalyway. LEO4All worked almost seamlessly from the beginning. But getting the internal keyboard and mouse working (without booting with USB keyboard attached) is almost impossible with what we have at our disposal. If someone could hack a kext to make it work, then LEO would be the stronger of the two for simplicity.

However I personally need my notebook to be independent of an external keyboard. So out of the box, Kalyway does that better. It requires some of the graphics and wifi hacks as detailed above. But it works for keyboard and trackpad. Also, iTunes 8.0 crashed on my best LEO install. But works just fine in Kalyway.

I am fairly convinced I'll have power management working by tonight or tomorrow.

Another drawback to Kalyway I am trying to fix is if you don't get a USB device plugged in (a memory stick or mouse is fine) when the blue screen appears, all the USB ports will not be functional.

If you have a non-working install, I'd give Kalyway another try.

Hope this helps.

Boriss,

I got the powermanagement to work by installing it from the Kalyway DVD. (If you notice above, I did not have powermanagement selected in my setup.) It seems to be working great so if you have time to test you might want to select the powermanagement patch while setting up your mac using Kalyway.

I still have the darn problem of not being able to boot with a USB mouse plugged in. But it seems like a rock solid install otherwise.

P.S. My Leopard / DV9000 has been running for the past 5 hours and it's not hot at all. :)

Still trying to figure out how to fix hibernation. :thumbsdown_anim:

Blarneystone, great work on your tutorial, so far it was the only guide that actually booted my system from an external HD. However, I encounter a problem after adding the first set of graphic drivers and rebooting. For some reason my will not boot into the graphical mode.

The graphic drivers are loaded successfully during the boot process, so it’s kind of funny the drivers works fine but the system wouldn't boot.

I would appreciate if you can shed some light on the problem at hand or if you had encountered the problem in your lab environment.

-f -v cpus=2

-x -v cpus=2

-f -v cpus=2 "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"

None of these commands fix the problem after adding the drivers.

• 1 month later...

Weird, when i get into installation there is no integrated mouse and keyboard :whistle:

I have googled that for some people works integrated keyboard and mousetrap

when they are switching off Wifi from front panel button, but not for my dv6000.

I plugged usb mouse and this seems to work..

At least installing now. But lets see what happens after installation..

anyway, relly good tutorial..

One important issue might be hard disk partitions preparation for multi OS solutions on you HP dv6000.

But i'mcurios does this kalyway patched OS X is stable?

What is the best kernel for HP dv6000 ?

• 5 weeks later...

@all: Hi!

So I wrote up an original post in an effort to try and get OSX onto my machine (see specs below).

Since the tutorial in this post seems to be a little closer to my specs, I'd like to try and tackle issues one at a time.

Let's start from scratch:

...First, boot into the Kalyway DVD without your Mouse or USB keyboard...

I've got my Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD ready to go, but if I boot with no USB mouse or keyboard plugged in, it gives me the dreaded ApplePS2... message, that repeats a thousand times... I've read that if I want to avoid this message/error, I need to plug in a USB keyboard and mouse at a specific moment...

Am I missing something?

Update #1

Tonight I gave it another whirl... I booted from the Kalyway DVD and it went into the GUI installer without having a mouse of KB plugged in, which was a major first...

I got into the Installer and low and behold, I HAD TRACKPAD AND KB SUPPORT!! YAY!!

I went through Disk Utility and formatted my HD (Mac Journaled, IIRC) and followed the rest of the instructions in the tutorial above... I couldn't believe how fast it actually installed... it was like magic! Then the machine rebooted, and I entered the switches in... And I ran into my next problem.

After it ran through the next phase of scrolling text, it hung up something like "IOKitWaitQuiet timed out writing to Kernel"... and then it just sat there... I let it idle for a good 10 to 12 minutes before I hard-reset the whole machine. Just when I thought I was going to get a Welcome Screen too!!!

So after the hard reboot, I turned it back on and tried it again, and then it was telling me that com.Apple.Boot.plist could not be found...

So I'm thinking I might need to reinstall again... and follow the directions again... from the beginning... again...

And no, I'm just messing around. This in no way frustrates me! I love this stuff!! I'll love it even more when I can dual boot (or boot camp) OSX and Windows XP... and bring it to Christmas dinner and have all my tech-savvy relatives envy at my killer laptop...

If anyone has any thoughts, ideas, word of encouragment... they would be greatly appreciated!!

Update #2

So I reinstalled again, followed the directions on customization to the letter... rebooted and used the -f -v cpus=2 switches... and it hung up on me at after the following couple of lines:

AirPort_Brcm43xx: Ethernet address ??:??:??:??:??:?? [i took the numbers out because that's what we do on the internets]

Dec 9 14:01:56 localhost mdworker[80]: (Error) SyncInfo: Boot-cache avoidance timed out!

CODE SIGNING: cd_invalid_page: p=141[lssave] clearing CS_VALID

Then I let it sit for like 15 minutes and nothing...

Then I rebooted and tried it with the only the -f cpus=2 switches... Well I'll be darned!! It loaded almost instantly into the white screen with the grey Apple logo... The little pinwheel was spinning... and spinning... and spinning...

And after about two minutes the screen dimmed and a window popped up that said I need to restart my computer...

So either I can't boot because it hangs in verbose mode, or it tells me I need to reboot.

Thoughts?

Thought

So the folks over in the DV6000 & DV9000 Intel Only thread are facing a whole slew of their own issues, but reading through that thread gave me some direction as where to go next.

It seems that Kalyway 10.5.2 doesn't appreciate spaces in the hard drive volume name. When I was installing, I named the drive "Macintosh HD", so I'm going to try it again tomorrow night with the name "Leopard" instead. I know, I know... very original.

Keep you posted.

Update #3

Boy is this stuff fickle. This DV9000 has no idea what it wants, or how it wants to function...

So I tonight I tried to reinstall again, but for some reason I couldn't get the DVD to boot... again... It's insane... and it's driving me insane as well...

I tried all the options: straight boot, -f -x switches or any combination thereof, different BIOS settings (Boot Orders, Boot Passwords, ESC Key)...

Heck, I even got into the GUI installer a few times... but with no KB or Mouse (er, I mean TrackPad), I couldn't get anywhere with it...

So I'm going to keep trying until I figure out what happened, what went wrong, and how to get this installed.

I'm beginning to see why some of the more experienced guys have spent 30+ hours trying to get this to work...

We'll see what happens...

Keep going man!!!

You gave me a bit of hope, and now i have a slightly working copy of leopard on my dv9005 laptop. Normaly i couldnt get past the install cd. Now when i put a flashdrive in with the kexts i have to add to get some of the features working, it wont recognize it in finder.

Keep going man!!!

You gave me a bit of hope, and now i have a slightly working copy of leopard on my dv9005 laptop. Normaly i couldnt get past the install cd. Now when i put a flashdrive in with the kexts i have to add to get some of the features working, it wont recognize it in finder.

Thanks for the support! I'll tell you, when I gave up last night, I was bummed out...

But here's my next "plan of attack"...

Thought #2

Tonight, I'm going to try something a little different. I'm going to install Windows Vista first. Since I have two HDD's I'll let the Vista installer format them and make them usable again. (During one of my last attempts, I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I got both drives formatted without a file system...) Once Vista is installed, I'll try to get OSX going...

If I still can't get it to work, I'm going to try other Distro's... Even though I'm pretty sure I won't have TrackPad and KB support...

:)

Final Thoughts

So that's it. I've given up. After probably about 10 separate attempts to install various distros, I'm calling it a day. I just can't seem to get OSX86 to work on my DV9000...

I'm not sure why it won't work, and I thought at times that it would... I got pretty far. To the point where the install went well, and after reboot it loads into the gray screen with the white Apple logo, but the pinwheel spins and spins, and the Welcome Screens never shows up, rather a message comes up that says I need to restart my computer.

I don't know why it doesn't work, but it doesn't, and I'm getting too old and too frustrated to actually enjoy hacking this hard...

So until someone comes out with some kind of magical installer/distro, I guess I'm SOL.

Good luck to all who attempt this, and well wishes to those who succeed.

Peace {censored}.

• 2 months later...

What do you know.. It worked :( I wasn't able to get the wirless to work with those kexts but it does work wired. Will post if I can get that resolved. I pretty much used the default preferences and added the Nvidia go driver.

thanks!

evan

Hey guys, I've been lurking through the forum for almost a month reading about your trials with different installs, hoping that I wouldnt have to ask any questions... but it seems that I have to now =(.. Ive tried almost every version I can get my hands on, and nothing seems to get me even remotly close to installing. I just tried the Kalyway 10.5.2 but had no luck getting past the formatting my drive. 10.5.2 along with all the other kalyway disks ive tried do not recognize my HDD. Leo4allv4.1 however does, but when I go to erase it (format to Mac OS X extended [journaled]) it gives me a input/output error. So bassicaly I have never even had the oportunity to install anything to even see if things work. So I am starting to get to the point of thinking that this just wont work, at least on my system. Any ideas or similar experiences? Thanks =)

My specs are in my sig.

• 4 months later...

I used this tutorial on my DV6000 and it worked. The only issues I had was I had to go into the BIOS and create a Boot Password. After I did that, I had no troubles getting this installed and running.

The only issue I have is with the Ethernet. It dosen't exist.

Also, the boot process is very slow (the spinning thingy) unless i constantly move the trackpad around.

Also, i have that same problem when listening to sound. It can sound jagged unless you move the track pad (mouse) around while listening, however, no problem with that when listening to MP3's.

Another problem I had was with the USB. Alot of times, It will not see USB devices inserted after boot. I have to boot up with the devices plugged in for access. THe same thing with bluetooth, but it wants to force me to use a bluetooth mouse. I have to unplug the bluetooth and replug it (to the same port), and it works.

Do you have any drivers for the Ethernet?

• 1 year later...

Hey guys I just completed prob my 20th install of Kalyway 10.5.2. And heres what ive got!

HP DV6000

intel core 2 duo 4 gb ram etc.

Ive got almost everything working except I cannot change my screen resolution. That is where I usually crash my hackintosh. Any suggestions?

BTW anyone needing their audio download this its worked for me everytime!

VoodooHDA_By_Thireus.zip