Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R thread

aol

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

Trying to start a thread about this mobo, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R. I was initially able to get Leopard 10.5.5 working (except for video and sound) using the guide at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167 by enabling AHCI in the BIOS and using a SATA hard drive.

I needed video drivers and sound, and installed the NVInject drivers for my 7900 card, and everything went to heck. I'd get the grey apple screen for a few seconds and the machine would just shut down. I removed the kext but continued to have the same issue. Using verbose mode didn't say anything about video drivers, from what I could tell as it very suddenly shut down.

I wiped the drive and repeated the method from the guide above, and am now unable to get to where I'd been before, a working install but without video or sound support. When I boot in verbose mode, the last few entries I get look like (timestamps removed and formatting added):

localhost /usr/sbin/ocspd[60]: starting

localhost mDNSResponder[24]: WARNING: sandbox_init error Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.bsd.dirhelper err=1100

Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.distributed_notifications.2 err=1100

Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.ocspd err=1100

Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.mDNSResponderHelper err=1100

Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.SecurityServer err=1100

Could not set Mach lookup policy for service com.apple.SystemConfiguration.configd er

localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow[25]: Login Window Application Started

localhost configd[37]: InterfaceNamer: no network interfaces, could not update platform UUID

localhost mDNSResponder[24]: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default bDevice-001FD024113Fb instead

localhost mDNSResponder[24]: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname; using default bDevice-001FD02411dF.localb instead

I gather that mDNSResponder is Bonjour. I tried disabling the LAN ports and unplugging/replugging the ethernet cable but no joy.

Frustrating that I had a working leopard that went to heck because of a kext install, even after removing it.

If anyone with this board has a different install method please share.

I have exactly the same problem. Spent last 2 days trying to figure out how to resolve this. Reinstalled my system about 10 times now. This definitely has to do with Bonjour service trying to start up but failing to set the policy correctly, so it just hangs. Unplugging network cable or disabling LAN card (or on-board adapter) doesn't make any difference. Still searching for a solution. Everything was working perfectly on GA-P35-DS4 Kalyway install since the beginning of this year. As soon as I upgraded to 10.5.5 things continued working fine until I copied new kexts when booting from another drive. My main machine is now well and truly broken because of this stupid mDNSResponder failure. No fix can be found anywhere yet (unfortunately). :thumbsdown_anim:

for the retail version with 10.5.5 you have to delete all the graphics card driver (so you have to delete NVINJECT or NVKUSH or something else).

You must use EFI STUDIO to configure your graphics card. Boot with -v -x (safe mode), delete the video card kext, use EFI STUDIO abd then reboot

overflow1972, thanks for the info on the graphics drivers. Any feedback on the mDNSResponder hang? I can't even boot now because the system hangs (see first post), APPARENTLY because of bonjour. Is there a way to disable bonjour for the sake of booting?

I have that board and the install was a breeze. By far the easiest i've done. In that link you posted use the v4.3 guide for the advanced user. Yes it does require another install on another hdd but its worth it. Make sure you have the latest F10 bios. Dont use those injectors. Get the latest EFI studio after you install chameleon and complete the user acct info.

Seriously, follow the guide step by step with the latest bios and you will not have a problem. Only side note is to make sure you set your sata to AHCI

I have exactly the same problem. Spent last 2 days trying to figure out how to resolve this. Reinstalled my system about 10 times now. This definitely has to do with Bonjour service trying to start up but failing to set the policy correctly, so it just hangs. Unplugging network cable or disabling LAN card (or on-board adapter) doesn't make any difference. Still searching for a solution. Everything was working perfectly on GA-P35-DS4 Kalyway install since the beginning of this year. As soon as I upgraded to 10.5.5 things continued working fine until I copied new kexts when booting from another drive. My main machine is now well and truly broken because of this stupid mDNSResponder failure. No fix can be found anywhere yet (unfortunately). :(

And you sir have the wrong board for this thread. Check the tutorials section. There's a complete guide for your board. Have you even looked around? :blink:

Ok I have a stable 10.5.4 running on the GA-EP45-DSR3 mobo. I followed the 4.3 guide for the advanced user linked above, but stopped at 10.5.4; I didn't run the 10.5.5 combo updater. I don't know if there is something that the 10.5.5 update does differently with bonjour, but if I go to 10.5.5 I can't get past bonjour when I try to boot.

So. Use the 4.3 guide, use the 10.5.4 combo updater, and use the latest EFI tool for your graphics card (I have a 7900 GS 256MB). Built-in LAN, SATA, USB, IDE all work. I uncommented the realtek 1000 line in the post-patch.sh to try to get past the bonjour/mDNSResponder issue, but I doubt it had any effect. Everything else I left as is (vanilla kernel etc.). Haven't tried built-in firewire. Sleep/shutdown/restart all work fine. Sound is a bit dodgy. I found another thread with two kexts to try to load. The 4.3 guide specifically says it has a fix for my chipset but I didn't get sound with his fix. I used the two files in the archive at http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=819337 (post 10), dropped those in /System/Library/Extensions, cleared the extension cache, rebooted and had sound.

For now I'm a happy 10.5.4 camper. As I get some more time I'll see how a 10.5.5 update on top of this working 10.5.4 goes.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

I have the same board, I used the retail installation method, everything works just fine on 10.5.4 with just added JmicronATA driver, but just when I install .5 version the launch hangs each time after this damn sandbox error, and DNS {censored}, i tried to replace AppleSMBios and ACPI platform kexts but nothing works, it all launches as a regular install just hangs in one spot, and never executes, i'm stuck using .4 until someone finds out when the hell happens in .5. Anyone has any clues? Cheers~

• 2 weeks later...

Installation on this mobo has been really easy... my only problem (aside from the USB keyboard not working) is that whenever I enable AHCI or the Native SATA option in the BIOS, the computer gets into a reboot cycle and doesn't post-boot.

When AHCI is enabled, none of the hard drives show up in the BIOS.

When Native SATA is enabled, all the drives show up as SCSI drives in the BIOS.

A thread here said that any BIOS version above F8 will cause kernel panics, so I am still on F8 and have not upgraded above that. Anyone know what could be causing the problem?

• 6 months later...

I started this thread and I just wanted to post a follow-up, because I do have 10.5.7 running on it and things are good.

I have been using the guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=86167 to install OS X. I have a MBP to install from, which makes the whole process very easy. The only thing that doesn't work out of the box is the sound. I stumbled across some kexts for sound somewhere, possibly from this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=76404

ls8 has a similar method, which I haven't tried yet.

I do have a small issue, all said and done: while installs to an IDE drive seem to be rock solid, installs to a SATA drive seem to have a small chance to freeze the system. The SATA install might boot and run great for weeks, then suddenly, it'll have a freak freeze, and from that point on, the SATA HD might or not be available. It happened on an older SATA drive and I chalked it up to hardware. But then it happened to a brand new 1TB drive.

Bottom line is that this mobo seems like a good match, and there seem to be several solutions. YMMV with SATA installs, however.