How to get 1440x900 on apple boot screen [nvidia]

MGJulius

3 posts in this topic

Hey,

I currently have a 10.5.5 AMD rig with an nVidia 8600GT w/ 256MB RAM properly working with EFI strings.

However i've heard that you can edit the boot process resolution if you have your graphics working by EFI, but when i try to put in my graphics list

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>

it only goes to 1024x768 resolution.

I currently have it set to 1280x1024x32 but it would be awesome to get it to 1440x900 like on real macs.

Attached is a current settings of my graphics card in system profiler

Thanks in advance.

Graphics_1.tiff

Hey,

I currently have a 10.5.5 AMD rig with an nVidia 8600GT w/ 256MB RAM properly working with EFI strings.

However i've heard that you can edit the boot process resolution if you have your graphics working by EFI, but when i try to put in my graphics list

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1440x900x32</string>

it only goes to 1024x768 resolution.

I currently have it set to 1280x1024x32 but it would be awesome to get it to 1440x900 like on real macs.

Attached is a current settings of my graphics card in system profiler

Thanks in advance.

Get SwitchResX and add 1440x900 resolution, but still I would like to know the answer for your problem as well. Because it would be cool not having to install an external application to do that.

It's not possible while your GPU is in VESA mode (as opposed to the EFI framebuffer on a real MAC) unless the resolution you want is in your video card's BIOS (else it will resort to the nearest thing - I have 1920x1200 set in my com.Apple.Boot.plist and it auto-selects 1600x1200) and widescreen resolutions aren't usually.

You'll just have to live with pre-loginwindow graphics in the wrong resolution without 'real' EFI with a 'real' EFI graphics firmware.