Can I use software update to update to 10.5.5?

00fez

11 posts in this topic

I download the 10.5.5 update from Apple's site. Followed the directions that was on the home page but, it left me a reboot loop. I was able to get in save mode by typing update -v -x. Then I put in the kalyway dvd, and copied the kernel over and I was able to get back in with 10.5.5 running perfect again.

That was just in my case, your results may vary....

You cannot install directly from software update, but you can download the 10.5.5 Update (not the combo one) and install it in this way:

Open terminal

Type sudo -s

Enter password

Type while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Keeping the terminal open start your installation

Once installed do not reboot.

Go to the terminal again press Ctrl+C and press enter

Then type nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

Find the line where Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext is writen.

Replace it with dsmos.kext. Save, Exit and Reboot.

Done

You cannot install directly from software update, but you can download the 10.5.5 Update (not the combo one) and install it in this way:

Open terminal

Type sudo -s

Enter password

Type while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

Keeping the terminal open start your installation

Once installed do not reboot.

Go to the terminal again press Ctrl+C and press enter

Then type nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

Find the line where Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext is writen.

Replace it with dsmos.kext. Save, Exit and Reboot.

Done

I am having problems updating. I downloaded the update from here and started to follow your directions but I am getting the following error "You cannot install Mac OS X Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." All my hard drives are showing "x". I did a search on the internet and saw some postings that I downloaded the wrong version but I only found one version to download (besides the combo update). I also have 6GB out of 25GB left on the hard drive. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I am having problems updating. I downloaded the update from here and started to follow your directions but I am getting the following error "You cannot install Mac OS X Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update." All my hard drives are showing "x". I did a search on the internet and saw some postings that I downloaded the wrong version but I only found one version to download (besides the combo update). I also have 6GB out of 25GB left on the hard drive. Your help is greatly appreciated.

I'm having this exact same problem. I only have 3.5 GB of free space left, could this be an issue? Any help would be great, thanks!

maybe thats because you downloaded the delta update and tried to install it while you werent using Mac OS X 10.5.4 (delta update only works for 10.5.4)

try the combo update, im sure that would work

Go there and follow his guide, it works like a charm and is very easy to do. All you have to do is get his pre and post install and the 10.5.5 Combo Update and install all three and viloa, 10.5.5. But make sure you follow step by step. If you just do whatever and you mess up, you won't get much help. Just follow what he says and if you have problems someone will help.

post-297469-1223528291_thumb.jpg